There is no denying that most of us will do anything for lustrous hair – whether it is using different hair care products or modifying our diet altogether. But did you know that the water you wash your hair with also determines its health?
Most people use hard water on their hair that causes damage. It also makes hair dry, brittle, and frizzy. The solution? Distilled water. It is a type of purified water that helps resolve your hair woes. While there is limited research on the efficacy of distilled water, proponents claim it offers advantages. So, how does it work? How can you use distilled water on your hair to get the best results? Keep reading to know more.
Table Of Contents
Is Distilled Water Free From All Impurities?
Yes, distilled water is free from all impurities, toxins, chemicals, and minerals. This purified water maintains a pH of 7. It also is devoid of contamination. Distilled water is produced by boiling regular water and condensing the steam back into the liquid. This process also involves a deionization technique that removes all salts and minerals from the condensed liquid.
Distilled water may benefit your hair in many ways. We have discussed the benefits in the next section.
Does Distilled Water Improve Hair Health?
Many cosmetic products consist of nearly 65-70% of water. Manufacturers of cosmetic products use water (distilled water, to be specific) to potentially avoid allergic reactions in users. Distilled water also acts as a solvent and can dissolve all the active ingredients in the products. It also may boost product absorption when used.
Distilled water is one of the purest forms of water that may help promote hair health. Washing your hair with hard water can cause many hair problems. Hard water can deposit minerals like magnesium and calcium in your hair, making your hair dry, frizzy, and fragile. Hair washed with hard water was found to have a rougher appearance and a higher mineral deposition than that washed with distilled water (1). Hard water may also weaken hair’s tensile strength (2). However, on the contrary, a separate study showed that water hardness had no impact on hair’s tensile strength or elasticity (3).
Despite the conflicting research, anecdotal evidence suggests that distilled water can benefit hair in more ways than one. We have listed them below:
- Distilled water removes all hair residues from your hair and scalp as it is the purest form of water. It also may soften and smoothen your hair.
- It will not have any damaging effects on your hair or scalp. It improves hair strength and makes your hair more manageable and frizz-free.
- Distilled water can help retain the moisture content of your hair strands. It also keeps the hair ends saturated and prevents split ends.
- Distilled water is known to retain natural scalp oils.
- Distilled water retains hair color.
- It is believed distilled water preserves your hairstyle for longer.
Your hair holds a negative charge and is attracted by the positive metal ions in hard water. This could make all the metal ions and minerals form a barrier and affect your hair treatments. Hence, many companies manufacturing cosmetic products use distilled water in place of normal water.
These are the potential benefits of distilled water on your hair. But how can you use it on your hair? Find out in the following section.
How To Wash Your Hair With Distilled Water?
- Warm the distilled water and let it cool.
- Wash your hair with a mild, sulfate-free shampoo or use any natural shampoo.
- Rinse your hair with distilled water.
- You may also use a hair conditioner in the required quantities and rinse it with distilled water.
- Gently pat your hair dry. Letting your hair air dry works best.
Distilled water is used in many cosmetic products for its purported advantages over hard water. However, research on hard water and its ill effects are conflicting. That said, anecdotal evidence vouches for distilled water and its benefits. This water type also has no known side effects. Hence, you may start using distilled water and observe the results. Consult your doctor if your hair issues persist.
Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions
How is distilled water different from purified water?
Distilled water is devoid of all impurities and minerals, whereas purified water is free from impurities but retains minerals.
How much distilled water do you need to wash your hair?
You need the same amount of distilled water that you would otherwise normally use while washing your hair.
- What Are The Benefits And Uses Of Rose Water For Hair?
- How to Clarify Your Hair at Home? Why & When You Should Clarify Your Hair
- Is Washing Your Hair With Only Water Good?
- What Happens When You Stop Washing Your Hair?
Latest posts by Sindhu Koganti (see all)
- Tea Tree Oil For Warts: Benefits, How To Use, And More - April 15, 2021
- Dry Brushing Face: Benefits, How To Do It, And More - April 14, 2021
- Side Effects Of Facial Waxing : Prevention And Tips - March 30, 2021
- Mango Butter For The Skin: Benefits, How To Use, And More - March 26, 2021
- Double Cleansing For Clear, Glowing Skin - March 25, 2021