The beauty industry comes up with numerous toners every day, making it difficult, daunting, and confusing to find the right toner for your skin. Toning is an essential part of your skincare regime, and for that, the perfect toner is essential to keeping your skin clean and glowing. Every time you want to use a toner, you cannot buy a premium one at the drop of a hat because it is expensive and not practical. This article gives you a detailed description of a homemade cucumber face mask/ toner that will keep your skin shining and your pockets safe. Scroll down to know more!
In This Article
Benefits Of Cucumber Facial
Cucumber is known for its soothing and hydrating properties. Its high water content helps moisturize the skin, reduce puffiness, and provide a refreshing sensation, making it a popular choice in skincare routines.
The benefits include (1):
- Its cleansing properties may help exfoliate the skin and remove toxins.
- Its cooling properties may help nourish the skin.
- It has a soothing effect, which helps reduce skin irritation and swelling.
- It also reduces the pain caused by sunburn.
Deborah Barchi, a blogger, discusses her personal experience of using cucumber to soothe her body. She shares a childhood incident where the excessive humidity and hot temperature was making her sweat profusely. Seeing the perspiration, her grandmother placed a freshly cut cucumber slice on her forehead. She recalls, “Ahhh! Instant relief! How cool that slice of cucumber felt! Although it covered only a very small space on my forehead, my whole body tingled with relief and delight.” She rejoiced at the fact that cucumbers can relieve fatigue and immediately rejuvenate tired faces as well (i)!
Therefore, the cucumber facial mist may be beneficial for calming, soothing, cleansing, and nourishing the skin. Scroll down to learn how to prepare a cucumber facial mist.
What Do We Need For Cucumber Facial Mist?
Rose or cucumber, whichever you prefer; you can prepare a toner with any of the two ingredients or use both ingredients to prepare a cucumber and rose water facial mist. I have used cucumber. There is nothing troublesome with the ingredient list as well. Just a single cucumber is all you need.
What Do We Need To Do?
Take a fresh healthy cucumber.
You will need about 2/3rds of the cucumber of the size I have. You may buy a smaller piece.
Peel the cucumber. You may avoid peeling it and just wash it thoroughly. The aim is to clean the cucumber completely.
Now, there can be two ways out. In case you want to use it solely as a toner and would probably use it once or twice a day, you can straight away churn it, sieve out the juice and store. My aim is to prepare a facial mist cum toner which requires it to be a bit more liquefied. I am going the other way for this reason. I’ll start cutting the cucumber in horizontal strokes first.
I need very small pieces of cucumber, so I am giving vertical cuts as well. I will cut from the base to get fine and equal-sized chopped cucumber pieces.
Transfer those fine pieces into a pan.
Add water to this pan, roughly of the amount in which these cucumber pieces will be well immersed.
Keep the pan on a low flame now for 5-7 minutes in total. We are doing this because we want the cucumber essence to mix with the water nicely. At the same time, do not boil the water or keep it for a long time because that will work against the aim, that is, it will kill the nutrients in the cucumber.
Now, put the flame off and let the cucumber water cool down a bit. It would take approximately 10 minutes to cool down to the level we want. Transfer the whole thing to a mixer jar.
Churn for around 20 seconds keeping the mixer speed at the 1st level.
We are nearly done with the procedure and guess what? I am already excited to spray it on my face! We have to now sieve the juice out and that will separate the bigger pieces.
Filter the juice and collect it directly into a storage bottle or a glass for the moment, like the way I have done.
That’s it, our cucumber refreshing facial mist/toner is ready! Refrigerate it in a clean bottle and spray as and when required.
Ways You Can Use It
- As a facial mist- this is my favorite usage type. I just love spraying it on, after my face wash ritual on returning home during the summer hot days. It’s pure bliss as a sunburn soothing facial!
- Cucumber has natural toning properties, so you can use it twice a day as a toner alone (1), (2).
- Take out the chilled liquid on a cotton pad and place it on your eyes to get relief from puffy eyes and soreness. It can also be used as a dark circle reducing facial.
- Mix it with ubtans and face packs in summer. to prepare a cooling face mask.
- Cucumber and jojoba oil facial mist is an acne-fighting facial that hydrates the skin. Jojoba oil provides extra nourishment and helps with skin irritation and inflammation due to its antioxidant properties(3).
- Using a homemade cucumber and coconut oil facial mist may help hydrate the skin and keep it soft and nourished (4).
- A cucumber and tea tree oil facial may help reduce pores and prevent blemishes(5).
- A cucumber and green tea facial mist may help slow down signs of skin aging and protect against skin infections (6).
One time preparation of this cucumber facial toner will serve for around 4 days when kept in the refrigerator. The same procedure can be done with rose petals too instead of cucumber.
Infographic: DIY Skin Brightening Cucumber Facial Mist
A toner is crucial for maintaining clean and healthy skin. Commercial toners contain a lot of chemicals, and that’s why you must try this safer DIY alternative. The infographic below summarizes the easy steps to make your cucumber toner at home. Take a look!
Spritzing on some cucumber facial mist is one of the best soothing facials for dry skin. It also tones the skin and can be prepared easily at home with simple ingredients. All it requires is a cucumber. You can easily prepare this facial mist by following the process mentioned above. This cucumber facial mist can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. You can use it as a toner as well. Cucumber works like a hydrating facial and soothes the skin. So include this homemade facial mist in your daily skin care routine to reap its benefits!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I put cucumber on my face daily?
Yes. Applying cucumber on your face daily is a great way to soothe the skin and keep blemishes at bay.
Are there any side effects of cucumber?
No. Cucumber lacks any harsh or irritating ingredients, making it safe for sensitive skin.
Can I leave cucumber juice on my face overnight?
Yes. It is safe to leave cucumber juice on the face overnight as a cucumber juice facial to achieve hydrated and glowing skin.
Does cucumber brighten skin?
Yes. Cucumbers are rich in vitamin C and folic acid, which stimulate new cell growth and keep your skin safe from environmental toxins, thus effective as a skin brightening facial.
- A DIY homemade cucumber facial mist may be a natural and effective solution for promoting glowing skin.
- Cucumbers have natural toning properties and may be used twice a day as a toner or mixed with ubtans and DIY face packs.
- Cucumber mist can be made by blending small pieces of freshly chopped cucumber with water in a mixer after heating the mixture for 5-7 minutes and then filtering the cucumber juice.
- The mist can be used as a toner or setting spray for optimum hydration.
Create a homemade facial mist for glowing skin that clears dark spots and brightens your complexion. Learn the recipe and steps in this rejuvenating video.
Personal Experience: Source
Articles on StyleCraze are backed by verified information from peer-reviewed and academic research papers, reputed organizations, research institutions, and medical associations to ensure accuracy and relevance. Read our editorial policy to learn more.
- Phytochemical and therapeutic potential of cucumber
- Cucumis sativus fruit-potential antioxidant anti-hyaluronidase and anti-elastase agent
- Jojoba Oil: An Updated Comprehensive Review on Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Uses, and Toxicity
- A randomized double-blind controlled trial comparing extra virgin coconut oil with mineral oil as a moisturizer for mild to moderate xerosis
- A review of applications of tea tree oil in dermatology
- A Green Tea Containing Skincare System Improves Skin Health and Beauty in Adults: An Exploratory Controlled Clinical Study