As we age, our skin starts losing elasticity and firmness. Of course, most of you would have already looked up solutions to solve these skin troubles. And we know there are several firming creams for skin tightening available on the market these days. But do these creams help minimize aging signs? To answer that, you need to know why exactly your skin is losing its charm.
Collagen and elastin are the two important components that maintain the skin’s firmness. However, their production starts decreasing as you get older. In addition, external factors like pollutants, smoking, and sun exposure speed up their degradation, leading to sagging skin, fine lines, and wrinkles.
So, to increase collagen and elastin production, you need to incorporate certain products into your skin care routine. Most of you prefer skin firming creams to deal with these troubles. This article will help you know more about firming creams and their effectiveness. Keep reading.
In This Article
What Is A Firming Cream?
A skin firming cream is essentially a topical cream that can help you battle the signs of aging like sagging skin, fine lines, and wrinkles that generally appear in specific areas. The use of these skin firming creams stimulates the development of the skin cells and controls the loss of collagen in the skin.
Basically, firming creams are products that claim to help you enhance the production of collagen.
Let us now understand how they work in the next section.
How Do Firming Creams Work?
As we age, our bodies start producing lesser collagen at a rate of about 1% less per year. By the age of 50, there is almost no new collagen being made. The collagen that remains also becomes fragmented, weak, and broken down (1).
Effective skin firming cosmetic creams claim to work by increasing skin hydration levels and collagen and elastin production. Some firming creams, such as those with hyaluronic acid in them, also help promote skin cell turnover.
Unlike skin surgeries that are invasive, skin tightening creams are cost-effective, non-invasive, and require no recovery time.
Wondering whether they really work? Find out in the next section.
Do Firm Creams Really Work? What Do They Actually Do?
Although firming creams are effective in addressing some signs of skin laxity, they do have their limitations. While some skin tightening creams offer benefits such as increasing collagen and reducing other pigmentary abnormalities, they are far better at smoothening the skin by moisturizing it rather than tightening it.
The best firming skin creams use ingredients known to be quite effective based on rigorous clinical trials and studies. For instance, topical ingredients such as vitamin C and retinol are particularly popular as anti-aging options (2). If used consistently, these proven ingredients have a clear and positive effect on skin elasticity, firmness, and overall appearance.
While the results of skin firming creams are not as dramatic as those of professional anti-aging treatments, these topical firming creams are a relatively inexpensive, simple, and easy-to-use alternative to these procedures.
What Do They Do?
It is certainly a myth that skin firming creams can achieve the level of skin tightening that various laser devices can. It is also important to keep in mind that they cannot compete with any surgical procedures, including liposuction, abdominoplasty, or injections of bio stimulatory fillers.
Having said that, these skin firming creams are often used along with various skin tightening or skin lifting procedures to help amplify their results. It is important to have realistic expectations regarding what they can achieve before you spend your time or money on them.
In the end, keep in mind that these are not any kind of miracle creams and work modestly at best. While some just work as good moisturizers and help to plump up the outer layer of the skin, others can make the skin temporarily look tighter and smoother.
The most important thing to do for the best results is to be consistent. Do not expect to see instant results after applying a product just for one day. Diligent use of these skin firming cream formulas can help your skin improve over time and prevent further sagging to an extent. Remember that it is no magic or plastic surgery, and keeping your expectations real helps a great deal.
So what are the benefits of these firming creams? Find out in the next section.
Benefits Of Firming Creams For Skin
Skin firming face creams primarily act as really good moisturizers and work on the top layer of skin, making it temporarily look smoother and tighter. Apart from this, they offer you an array of other benefits:
1. Keep Wrinkles Away
Firming creams for loose skin are an effective remedy to deal with the signs of aging to a certain extent. If used effectively and regularly, they help reduce wrinkles while giving you healthy, glowing, and firm-looking skin.
2. Hydrate And Nourish The Skin
Most firming creams are loaded with rich moisturizing ingredients that help keep the skin hydrated, nourished, and supple. They also prevent various skin issues such as skin dryness, dullness, and roughness by nourishing the skin with essential nutrients for a youthful glow.
3. Offer Protection From External Factors
Using a good-quality skin firming cream every day is good for your skin. Since these creams are generally enriched with various natural ingredients, they are capable of protecting the skin from the harmful effects of the sun’s rays (3).
Some face firming creams also have a high SPF value, which provides excellent protection against harmful UV rays even when you spend the entire day in the sun. The key here is to pick up firming products with high SPF, as they help you protect your skin from sun damage in the long run.
4. Prevent The Occurrence Of The Signs Of Aging
Firming creams are known for their powerful natural ingredients that are capable of reducing the various signs of aging, such as wrinkles, fine lines, and dryness (3).
5. Give You An Even Skin Tone
Another benefit of skin firming creams is that they give you an even skin tone (3). They start making by lightening the darker areas on your face. These creams also help you get rid of pigmentation by controlling the color balance levels in your skin and lowering the instances of color separation.
In the next section, we will explore the key ingredients present in skin firming creams.
Key Ingredients In Skin Firming Creams
Skin firming body creams, in general, include several anti-aging ingredients to help with the following:
- Hydrating and moisturizing your skin
- Protecting your skin from excessive sun damage
- Increasing collagen and elastin production
These ingredients typically fall into one of the two categories below (3) :
Antioxidants such as vitamins C, B3, and E work to slow down the skin collagen from deteriorating and have a molecular weight small enough to penetrate the skin.
B. Cell Regulators
On the other hand, cell regulators such as copper peptides, retinol, and growth factors encourage the production of collagen (4).
- Copper Peptides: Copper is an essential ingredient for collagen synthesis (3). Copper peptides help boost the production of both collagen and elastin.
- Vitamin A: Vitamin A-rich retinol, retinaldehyde, tretinoin, etc., help slow down the depletion of collagen and stimulate the skin to produce more (5). However, make sure to use it in the right quantity as a higher dose could lead to skin irritation. Always start with a small dose and gradually move forward.
- Shiitake Mushroom: There are certain botanical ingredients, such as shiitake mushrooms, that are often found in firming creams as they help increase the production of elastin fibers (6).
- Caffeine: Caffeine is another common ingredient found in firming creams. It essentially helps constrict blood vessels to reduce excess fluid in the skin and also helps the body break down extra fat (7).
- Glycolic Acid: Glycolic acid exfoliates the skin, hydrates it, and also boosts the production of collagen (8). It is important to note, however, that it is more suitable for dry skin. If you have oily skin, it is better to look for another collagen booster or go for glycolic acid peels every few months.
Exposure to pollutants, smoking, and aging slow down the production of collagen and elastin, proteins responsible for keeping your skin firm. That is where using firming creams for your skin may come in handy. These creams contain ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, retinol, and antioxidants which keeps your skin hydrated, boost collagen and elastin production and improve skin health over time. However, if you want to do something more with your skin, consult your doctor for information on cosmetic procedures such as laser treatment or liposuction.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does firming cream work on the stomach?
Yes, firming creams can help tighten loose skin and increase skin elasticity on the stomach.
Do firming creams work for cellulite?
Firming creams may help reduce the appearance of the loose skin that develops on the body, but they cannot remove cellulite. This is because these creams only function on the skin’s surface and do not penetrate deep enough to target the connective tissue or fat cells linked to cellulite.
- Skin firming creams can help reduce the signs of aging, such as sagging skin, wrinkles, and fine lines.
- Some creams claim to work by increasing skin hydration levels, collagen production, and elastin formation, while others declare they can stimulate the formation of new cells.
- Several anti-aging ingredients are used in body creams that reduce the appearance of sagging skin, such as antioxidants, peptides, retinol, and glycolic acid.
Articles on StyleCraze are backed by verified information from peer-reviewed and academic research papers, reputed organizations, research institutions, and medical associations to ensure accuracy and relevance. Read our editorial policy to learn more.
- Decreased Collagen Production in Chronologically Aged Skin
- Topical Vitamin C and the Skin: Mechanisms Of Action and Clinical Applications
- Skin anti-aging Strategies
- In vitro observations on the influence of copper peptide aids for the LED photoirradiation of fibroblast collagen synthesis
- Improvement of naturally aged skin with vitamin A (retinol)
- Development of Mushroom-Based Cosmeceutical Formulations with Anti-Inflammatory Anti-Tyrosinase Antioxidant and Antibacterial Properties
- Caffeine\’s mechanisms of action and its cosmetic use
- The efficacy of glycolic acid for treating wrinkles: analysis using newly developed facial imaging systems equipped with fluorescent illumination