Hair growth is a long process. Stress, pollution, and other intrinsic and extrinsic factors can affect hair growth. Fortunately, there are various treatments to aid hair growth and prevent hair fall, including medicines. These medicines not only stop hair fall and stimulate hair growth but are also known to make hair stronger. In this article, we will look at the best medicines to aid hair growth. Read on to know more.
Best Medicines For Hair Growth
The top 10 medicines for growing strong and healthy hair are listed below:
Cortisone is a steroid. This medicine for hair regrowth is potent and has shown effective results when taken in the form of injections directly on the scalp (1). It is readily available in the form of pills and ointments that can be topically applied. The pills are stronger than the ointments and injections and are readily available.
Minoxidil is a popular medicine for promoting hair growth (2), (3), (4). The commercial name of this medication is Regaine, and it contains 5% minoxidil. However, this medicine takes months to show positive results when used diligently. It is important to note that this medicine works temporarily, and hair fall reoccurs whenever the use of the medicine is stopped. Also, prolonged use of minoxidil may cause contact dermatitis, itching, and rashes.
Finasteride is another medicine that works on the lines of minoxidil and is more effective in cases where men get bald (5), (6). This medicine promotes hair growth in the crown region and even helps in preventing a receding hairline.
4. Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary extracts and essential oil have been shown to aid hair growth in multiple studies (7), (8), (9). Apply rosemary essential oil to the scalp to enhance the blood flow in the scalp, which eventually promotes hair growth
5. Kalium Carbonicum
Kalium carbonicum is a homeopathy medicine that is generally prescribed for preventing the thinning and drying of hair.
Another effective homeopathic medicine for promoting hair growth is Silicea (10). It is usually prescribed for baldness and brittle hair and nails. It can also help treat dandruff.
Worrying about the slow growth of your hair or maybe excessive shedding? These can help!
7. Nioxin Vitamins
The Nioxin Recharging Complex Hair Growth Supplement is a blend of multiple nutrients, including vitamin A, biotin, iron, copper, silicon, and zinc that provide nourishment to hair support healthy hair growth. As we are aware, the lack of key vitamins and minerals in the diet can lead to hair fall. Nioxin supplements help provide your body with vital nutrients that aid hair growth.
8. Diphenylcyclopropenone (DPCP)
This medicine is topically administered to the scalp and has shown to promote hair growth (11), (12). It is available in liquid form and has to be applied once a week to strengthen the hair roots and i.
9. Licorice Extracts
This Ayurvedic medicine showed promising results in enhancing hair growth if used diligently (13), (14). Though available in the form of capsules, it can be applied topically as well. It is reasonably priced and excellent for growing good quality hair.
10. Sage Tea
A combination of herbs that included sage was found to enhance hair density and growth (15). Sage can also help reduce dandruff (16). This tea is readily available, and you can wash your scalp with it for better results.
It is important to remember that popping pills or applying various oils and ointments alone cannot deliver good hair. You need to combine these with a healthy diet as well as a good hair care routine for the best results. Remember, do not self-medicate. Consult a homeopath or naturopath before you take any of these medicines for hair growth.
- Alsantali, Adel. “Alopecia areata: a new treatment plan.” Clinical, cosmetic and investigational dermatology vol. 4 (2011): 107-15.
- Suchonwanit, Poonkiat et al. “Minoxidil and its use in hair disorders: a review.” Drug design, development and therapy vol. 13 2777-2786.
- Rumsfield, J A et al. “Topical minoxidil therapy for hair regrowth.” Clinical pharmacy vol. 6,5 (1987): 386-92.
- Rossi, Alfredo, et al. “Minoxidil use in dermatology, side effects and recent patents.” Recent patents on inflammation & allergy drug discovery 6.2 (2012): 130-136.
- McClellan, K J, and A Markham. “Finasteride: a review of its use in male pattern hair loss.” Drugs vol. 57,1 (1999): 111-26.
- Van Neste, D et al. “Finasteride increases anagen hair in men with androgenetic alopecia.” The British journal of dermatology vol. 143,4 (2000): 804-10.
- Murata, Kazuya et al. “Promotion of hair growth by Rosmarinus officinalis leaf extract.” Phytotherapy research : PTR vol. 27,2 (2013): 212-7.
- Panahi, Yunes et al. “Rosemary oil vs minoxidil 2% for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia: a randomized comparative trial.” Skinmed vol. 13,1 (2015): 15-21.
- Hay, Isabelle C., Margaret Jamieson, and Anthony D. Ormerod. “Randomized trial of aromatherapy: successful treatment for alopecia areata.” Archives of dermatology 134.11 (1998): 1349-1352.
- “SILICEA- silicon dioxide tablet” DailyMed, National Institutes of Health.
- Chiang, Katherine S et al. “Clinical Efficacy of Diphenylcyclopropenone in Alopecia Areata: Retrospective Data Analysis of 50 Patients.” The journal of investigative dermatology. Symposium proceedings vol. 17,2 (2015): 50-5.
- Nowicka, Danuta et al. “Efficacy of diphenylcyclopropenone in alopecia areata: a comparison of two treatment regimens.” Postepy dermatologii i alergologii vol. 35,6 (2018): 577-581.
- Saumendu, Deb Roy, et al. “Hair growth stimulating effect and phytochemical evaluation of hydro-alcoholic extract of Glycyrrhiza glabra.” Global Journal of Research on Medicinal Plants & Indigenous Medicine 3.2 (2014): 40.
- Utami, Sheila Meitania, Joshita Djajadisastra, and Fadlina Chany Saputri. “Using hair growth activity, physical stability, and safety tests to study hair tonics containing ethanol extract of licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra Linn.).” International Journal of Applied Pharmaceutics 9 (2017): 44-48.
- Rastegar, Hosein et al. “Herbal Extracts Induce Dermal Papilla Cell Proliferation of Human Hair Follicles.” Annals of dermatology vol. 27,6 (2015): 667-75.
- Gupta, Amit, et al. “Indian medicinal plants used in hair care cosmetics: a short review.” Pharmacognosy Journal 2.10 (2010): 361-364.
- 12 Effective Ayurvedic Remedies For Hair Fall And Hair Regrowth
- 11 Best Hair Regrowth Products in 2020
- 6 Effective Siddha Medicines For Hair Growth
- How To Stimulate Hair Growth And Maintain Hair Health
- Arata Organic Flaxseed & Olive Oil Hair Cream Review