10 Home Remedies To Heal Adenomyosis + Causes And Diet

by Sucharita Mishra

Adenomyosis is a clinical condition that is commonly being diagnosed in women of reproductive age. This condition is characterized by a heavier and longer period, accompanied by frequent cramps and bloating.

The inner lining of the uterus is called the endometrium, and the muscle wall of the uterus is called the myometrium. Adenomyosis is a medical condition in which the endometrium breaks through the myometrium of your uterus. This may result in an enlarged uterus. Many factors, including advancing age, can trigger this condition. Keep reading for more information on the natural remedies for adenomyosis and tips to deal with it.

Home Remedies For Adenomyosis

1. Heating Pads

A heat compress may enhance the blood flow to the pelvic area and help relieve the building pressure and pain in the uterus (1).

You Will Need

A heating pad or a hot compress

What You Have To Do

  1. Place a heating pad on your lower abdomen.
  2. Leave it on for 5 minutes.
  3. Remove and repeat thrice.

How Often You Should Do This

Do this 2-3 times a day or whenever the pain strikes.

2. Massage

Aromatherapy massage on the abdomen can stimulate blood flow and relieve menstrual pain (2).

You Will Need

  • 6 drops of any essential oil
  • 1 teaspoon of coconut oil

What You Have To Do

  1. Mix six drops of essential oil with a teaspoon of coconut oil.
  2. Massage the mixture onto your abdomen for about 2 minutes.
  3. Leave it on overnight or for at least 30 to 40 minutes before rinsing it off.

How Often You Should Do This

Do this 1-2 times a day, especially when you are menstruating.

3. Castor Oil

Castor oil contains ricinoleic acid, which is a powerful anti-inflammatory agent (3). Using a castor oil pack on the abdomen may help reduce the swelling and pain in the uterus.

You Will Need

  • Castor oil (as required)
  • Hot water bottle

What You Have To Do

  1. Apply a little castor oil all over your lower abdomen.
  2. Place a hot water bottle on your abdomen and leave it on for about 15 to 20 minutes.

How Often You Should Do This

Do this 1-2 times a day.

4. Shepherd’s Purse

Shepherd’s purse improves blood circulation and alleviates the symptoms of inflammation (4). It may help with heavy and irregular periods by providing relief from heavy bleeding.

You Will Need

  • ½ teaspoon of shepherd’s purse
  • 1 cup of water

What You Have To Do

  1. Add half a teaspoon of shepherd’s purse to a cup of water.
  2. Bring it to a boil in a saucepan.
  3. Simmer and strain.
  4. Consume the tea.

How Often You Should Do This

Do this 3-4 times a day, especially right before and during periods.

5. Ginger

Ginger exhibits strong anti-inflammatory properties (5). Thus, it may offer relief from inflammation and pain associated with adenomyosis.

You Will Need

  • 1 teaspoon of minced ginger
  • 1 cup of water
  • Honey

What You Have To Do

  1. Add a teaspoon of minced ginger to a cup of water and bring it to a boil in a saucepan.
  2. Simmer and strain.
  3. Allow the tea to cool a little and add some honey to it.
  4. Drink immediately.

How Often You Should Do This

Drink this 3-4 times a day.

6. Turmeric

The curcumin present in turmeric possesses anti-inflammatory and healing properties (6). Thus, turmeric may alleviate pain and swelling caused due to adenomyosis.

You Will Need

• 1 teaspoon of turmeric
• 1 glass of hot milk

What You Have To Do

1. Add a teaspoon of turmeric powder to a glass of hot milk and mix well.
2. Consume this mixture daily.

How Often You Should Do This

Do this at least once a day.

7. Calcium And Magnesium

Both calcium and magnesium may help in relieving the symptoms of adenomyosis by regulating the menstrual cycle (7).

You Will Need

  • 1000-2000 mg calcium
  • 300-320 mg magnesium

What You Have To Do

  1. Consume calcium and magnesium-rich foods, like milk, cheese, yogurt, salmon, sardine, almonds, spinach, quinoa, and cashew nuts.
  2. You can also take supplements for these nutrients after consulting your doctor.

How Often You Should Do This

It is best to include small amounts of these nutrients in your daily diet.

8. Aloe Vera

Aloe vera possesses soothing and anti-inflammatory properties (8). This may help with adenomyosis and its symptoms, like pain, swelling, and inflammation.

You Will Need

1 cup of fresh aloe vera juice

What You Have To Do

Consume a glass of fresh aloe vera juice daily.

How Often You Should Do This

Do this 2 times a day.

9. Vitamins

Vitamin B complex and vitamin E play a significant role in the treatment of conditions like adenomyosis. Studies have found that vitamins B1, B6, and E can help reduce menstrual pain (9), (10).

You may get the required amounts of these vitamins by consuming eggs, milk, cheese, fish, poultry, almonds, spinach, and kale. Consult a doctor if you wish to take supplements for these vitamins.

10. Apple Cider Vinegar

The external application of apple cider vinegar may help reduce pain (11). Thus, it may help in treating adenomyosis as well as other menstrual problems like bloating and cramps.

You Will Need

  • 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
  • 1 glass of warm water

What You Have To Do

  1. Add two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to a glass of warm water and mix well.
  2. Drink this mixture.
  3. Alternately, you can also soak a gauze in some apple cider vinegar solution and apply it to your lower abdomen for relief.

How Often You Should Do This

Do this 1-2 times a day.

It is necessary to pay extra attention to the diet to recover from adenomyosis completely. Given below is a list of certain foods that may help in combating adenomyosis.

Best Diet For Adenomyosis

  • Grains, like bran cereal, brown rice, oats, and wheat pasta.
  • Fruits, like apples, berries, grapes, papaya, and pears.
  • Vegetables, like cabbage, spinach, cucumber, carrots, celery, beans, peas, and potatoes.
  • Spices, like mint, turmeric, coriander, cumin, and fennel.
  • Other foods, like wheatgrass, walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, sesame, and aloe vera.

Discussed below are a few tips that one can follow to steer clear of adenomyosis in the near future.

Prevention Tips

Although the exact cause of adenomyosis is unknown, some factors may trigger it. The probable causes of adenomyosis are listed below.

Causes And Risk Factors For Adenomyosis

  • Termination of pregnancy.
  • Endometriosis – abnormal growth of endometrial tissues outside the uterus.
  • Estrogen dominance – A condition characterized by excessive production of estrogen but little or no progesterone.
  • Swelling of the uterine lining.

The risk factors for adenomyosis may include:

  • If you are in your 40s and 50s
  • Childbirth
  • History of surgeries on the uterus

Those dealing with adenomyosis may exhibit the following signs and symptoms.

Signs And Symptoms Of Adenomyosis

  • Heavy and prolonged menstrual bleeding
  • Spotting between periods
  • Tenderness in the abdominal area
  • Pain during sexual intercourse
  • Blood clots during menstrual bleeding
  • Severe cramps during menstruation
  • Abdominal pressure
  • Bloating

Adenomyosis may be quite a struggle for women who are planning to conceive soon. However, the right diet, exercise, as well as natural remedies (like the ones mentioned in this post) may help in coping with most of the symptoms associated with this condition.

Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions

Is it dangerous to have an enlarged uterus?

An enlarged uterus is not of much concern if its cause is determined. However, if the sudden increase in the size of your uterus is because of a critical medical condition, it may have dangerous consequences for your health.

Is adenomyosis cancerous?

There is as little as 1% chance for adenomyosis to turn out to be cancerous. In about 99% of cases, adenomyosis is non-cancerous.

Can adenomyosis cause infertility?

Some studies do hint at adenomyosis being a cause of infertility. However, we need more research to arrive at a conclusion.

Can you get pregnant if you have adenomyosis?

Although the risk of miscarriage doubles in women suffering from adenomyosis, managing the symptoms may help with conception.

11 sources

Stylecraze has strict sourcing guidelines and relies on peer-reviewed studies, academic research institutions, and medical associations. We avoid using tertiary references. You can learn more about how we ensure our content is accurate and current by reading our editorial policy.

Recommended Articles

Was this article helpful?
The following two tabs change content below.

Latest posts by Sucharita Mishra (see all)

Sucharita Mishra

Sucharita Mishra has a Master’s degree in Biotechnology and specializes in writing on Health and Wellness. She has worked on determining various heavy metals present in green tea for her Master’s dissertation at CSIR- CFTRI, Mysuru. After completing her degree, Sucharita decided to pursue her passion for writing. She is addicted to all things black and aspires to become a bat one day.
scorecardresearch