Do you get tired the moment you step on the treadmill? Are those Zumba sessions leaving you out of breath all too soon? These could be examples of poor stamina.
If you want to ace that HIIT session or be able to work out for a longer period, it is important that you try and build your stamina. Read on to find out some excellent ways to increase your stamina naturally.
Table Of Contents
What Is Stamina?
Stamina is the strength that allows you to endure long periods of vigorous physical activity or mental effort. Increased stamina can help you endure stress and discomfort during strenuous activity. It can also help reduce fatigue and exhaustion that often follow a vigorous activity. If you have high stamina, you can also perform day-to-day activities at a higher level while using less energy.
Now, let us find out how long it takes to increase one’s stamina.
How Long Does It Take To Increase Your Stamina?
Well, there is no shortcut to building your stamina. While the exact duration may differ from person to person and vary depending on one’s existing endurance, it may take weeks of vigorous training to achieve complete fitness.
However, the changes can be noticed within the first 10 days to four weeks. How? Well, you can start building your stamina by incorporating a few easy yet effective changes in your lifestyle.
6 Ways To Build Stamina Naturally
1. Consume Caffeine
Caffeine consumption can boost one’s energy temporarily due to its stimulating effects on heart rate (1). These effects can have a positive impact on the physical activity of an individual. However, be it coffee or tea, make sure you consume caffeine in moderation to reap maximum benefits.
2. Do Regular Exercise
Exercising is another way to build your stamina. Whether it is a typical run on the treadmill, swimming, cycling, or aerobics, exercise promotes cardiovascular fitness. This, in turn, can help increase endurance, strength, and flexibility – all of which are often lost with age (2).
3. Practice Meditation And Yoga
Meditation and yoga are great ways to relax and reduce stress. They can also help improve the feeling of general well-being and mental stamina, which also builds your physical endurance in the long run (3).
4. Listen To Music
It is no surprise that music can lift a person’s mood almost instantly. But, did you know that it also has a significant role to play when it comes to building stamina? Well, listening to music during an intense workout session decreases dyspnea or shortness of breath while increasing your tolerance to high-intensity exercises (4).
5. Have Ashwagandha
Ashwagandha is an herbal supplement that has been associated with improved cardiovascular endurance and stamina. It is also great for enhancing one’s overall quality of life while improving immunity (5). Make sure you consult a physician for the right dosage of the supplement for you.
6. Quit Smoking
Smoking has a deleterious effect on endurance capacity. Hence, if you want to start building your stamina, you need to quit smoking (6).
These are some of the scientifically proven ways that will help build your stamina. In addition to these, you should also lead a healthy lifestyle and follow a well-balanced diet to enhance your endurance.
Tell us how these tips have helped you. Do share your views by leaving a comment in the box below.
- “A Daily Cup of Tea or Coffee May Keep You Moving: Association between Tea and Coffee Consumption and Physical Activity” International Journal Of Environmental Research And Public Health, US National Library Of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- “Aerobic exercise and endurance: improving fitness for health benefits.” Physician and Sportsmedicine, US National Library Of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- “Exploring the therapeutic effects of yoga and its ability to increase quality of life” International Journal Of Yoga, US National Library Of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- “The Impact of Listening to Music During a High-Intensity Exercise Endurance Test in People With COPD.” Chest, US National Library Of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- “Efficacy of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera [L.] Dunal) in improving cardiorespiratory endurance in healthy athletic adults” Ayu, US National Library Of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- “Smoking, alcohol consumption, and endurance capacity: an analysis of 6,500 19-year-old conscripts and 4,100 joggers.” Preventive Medicine, US National Library Of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- 5 Simple Tips To Build Your Mental Stamina
- 9 Effective Ways To Increase Your Stamina For Running
- Top 5 Ways To Improve Your Stamina For Studying
Latest posts by Shaheen Naser (see all)
- What Happens When You Quit Smoking – A Timeline - July 5, 2019
- What Is Endometriosis? Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, And Diet Tips - June 24, 2019
- 11 Natural Remedies To Get Rid Of A Staph Infection + Causes And Symptoms - May 28, 2019
- 16 Easy Ways To Fall Asleep Faster - May 21, 2019
- What Is Hepatitis B – Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, And Treatment - May 16, 2019