Did you know that the cobra pose can help you reverse and reduce kyphosis? Kyphosis is a lifelong struggle. But, don’t be disheartened. If you practice certain targeted yoga poses every day, you can reduce the severity of your condition. How? Read this post to find out how yoga can help you reduce kyphosis.
What Is Kyphosis?
Kyphosis usually refers to an exaggerated rounding of the back. It is a condition in which the curvature of the spine causes the top of the back to appear more rounded than normal. It is characterized by a hump (sometimes pronounced), a bump a curve in the middle of the back, specifically the cervical and lumbar regions. When the hump or curve is too pronounced, the condition is known as hyperkyphosis.
This deformity can be caused by a variety of problems including:
- Genetic arthritis
- Improper development of the spine
- Disk degeneration
- Birth defects
- Compression fractures (1)
Treatment for kyphosis may include corrective exercises and stretches. Doctors and health professionals often advise the patients to practice yoga and other natural therapies to strengthen the spine. Generally patients are treated through many medical procedures and some even undergo corrective surgery to alter the abnormal curvature of the spine. A 2009 study conducted in California observed that regular yoga helps lower the severity of this condition (2).
Yoga For Kyphosis:
Here are a few yoga poses for kyphosis. They are extremely efficient and can enable quick recovery.
1. Marjaryasana (Cat Pose):
Like most yoga asanas, the cat pose has other health benefits as well. It also holds the distinction of being one of the best kyphosis yoga poses.
How To Do:
- First, get down on your hands and knees.
- Keep your spine straight and parallel to the ground.
- Your arms should be placed directly beneath the shoulders, while your knees should touch the ground.
- Press your back up and down in arching motions. Don’t jerk into motion, raise and lower you back rhythmically.
- Repeat this motion around 15-20 times.
[ Read: Yoga Poses to Cure Insomnia ]
2. Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward Dog Pose):
The Downward Dog is one of the most popular poses for many ailments. It is great for strengthening the spine and building lower body.
- Get down on your hands and knees.
- Now straighten your knees and push them towards the lower body.
- Once your legs are extended completely, raise your hips.
- Your heels should be off the ground.
- Hold this pose for 45-60 seconds.
- Rest and repeat twice (3).
[ Read: Yoga Poses To Cure Anxiety ]
3. Cobra Pose Or Bhujangasana:
- Lay down on your stomach.
- You can use a yoga mat or simply use a rug.
- Your legs should be flattened.
- Keep your lower body firmly on the ground and begin lifting your torso.
- As you raise your upper body, arch your back and extend your torso towards your legs.
- Picture a giant cobra with its hood out.
- Remain in the pose for around 25-30 seconds
- Gently get back to the starting position (4).
[ Read: Ramdev Yoga To Cure Rheumatoid Arthritis ]
Kyphosis is a chronic condition which only deteriorates with time. Doctors and chiropractors stress on the importance of holding the proper yoga posture to reduce the curve if not curing the disease completely.
Go for yoga only if it is recommended by a doctor.
Take professional help and practice the position only in the presence of a yoga trainer.
Did the information on yoga for kyphosis help you? To share your experience you can write to us by leaving a comment in the box below.
- 3 Effective Yoga Poses To Treat Herniated Disc
- 5 Effective Yoga Poses To Treat Hip Pain
- 8 Effective Yoga Asanas To Keep Your Bones Healthy
- 5 Best Yoga Asanas To Treat Groin Pain
Latest posts by Ameya C (see all)
- 8 Facts About Washing Hands That You Don’t Want To Ignore - February 23, 2016
- 5 Amazing Benefits Of Castor Oil Bath - June 12, 2015
- Top 9 Foam Rollers For Runners - June 8, 2015
- What Is Reverse Prayer Yoga And What Are Its Benefits? - May 5, 2015
- Is Garam Masala Good For Health? - April 29, 2015