Emotional connection is a key factor that determines the foundation of healthy personal and intimate relationships. So, undoubtedly, it should be highly valued. However, even when we have everything else we need, a lack of emotional bonding and sentimentality can stand as a hurdle to joy and happiness in a relationship. If partners lose the emotional bond, a void is created that cannot be handled with expensive gifts or great gestures. Therefore, maintaining the connection emotionally is a major responsibility of both partners. The good news is you can always try building up the connection if you feel you are losing it. In this article, we have discussed some strategies to rebuild the lost emotional connection with your partner. Scroll down to know more about clear signs of an emotionally connected relationship.
In This Article
What Is An Emotional Connection?
Everyone has their own idea of what an emotional connection means to them. Typically, an emotional connection is characterized by the following:
- A feeling of intimacy that goes beyond physical attraction.
- The ability to connect with the other person on a deeper level.
- The ability to feel secure while connecting emotionally with the other person.
- A feeling of belonging and general well-being with the other person.
All in all, emotional connection is not about having superficial conversations or banking on surface-level similarities to keep the relationship going. It is about genuinely feeling a deep sense of attachment, respect, and care for the other person. As you can imagine, an intense emotional connection lays the foundation for long-term and real intimacy.
Now, let us understand the top tell-tale signs of two emotionally connected people.
Top 15 Signs That You Are Emotionally Connected To Your Partner
If you want to build a sustainable and happy relationship, being emotionally connected is key. Here are the signs of emotional connection:
1. You Both Genuinely Care For Each Other’s Needs, Wants, And Desires
One of the most defining characteristics of an emotional connection is when you want the best things in life for your partner. In other words, you genuinely feel happy when their life goals, dream goals, career goals, etc., get fulfilled.
2. You Support And Champion Each Other
When it comes to building a rock-solid emotional connection, genuine support is of utmost importance (1). This support can be physical, emotional, or mental, depending on the state of each individual.
3. You Engage In Honest And Open Conversations
Are you both regularly having honest conversations about the relationship and life in general, despite differing opinions? If so, you are in an emotionally sound relationship.
4. You Re-Evaluate Your Relationship From Time To Time
Emotionally connected partners are often internalizing the relationship and figuring out where things can be better. There is little to no hesitation in truly speaking your mind.
5. You Actively Listen To Each Other
It is one thing to simply hear what the other person is saying and a whole different ball game altogether to engage in active listening. This includes:
- Creating a safe space for the partner to vent out and air their concerns without any fear of judgment or any kind of negativity.
- Genuinely being present and devoting your complete attention to what your partner is saying.
- Demonstrating active listening through eye contact and head nods.
6. You Know Each Other’s Ins And Outs
From knowing and accepting each other’s flaws to deeply understanding each other’s personality, emotionally connected people are aware of every little detail that makes up their partner. This includes knowing their fears, motivations, values, dreams, vulnerabilities, and insecurities.
7. You Voluntarily Participate In Each Other’s Hobbies
Partners with a strong emotional connection willingly go the extra mile to accommodate the other person’s interests and hobbies into their routine to spend more quality time together. The idea is to find ways to reconnect with the other person and build rapport, either through shared interests or differing hobbies.
8. You Liven Up The Relationship With Attention To Detail
If your relationship is more about celebrating the smaller joys of everyday life, it means that you are emotionally tuned into each other. You understand that it is the smaller things and gestures in life that bring about the maximum amount of joy. These small things could include:
- Cooking for each other
- Taking an interest in the mundane details of each other’s lives
- Taking care of each other when sick
- Surprising each other at work with date-night plans
All in all, if you both are invested in each other’s day-to-day life, it is a good sign.
9. You Are Not Focused On “Fixing” Each Other
Emotionally mature couples understand that they do not need to “fix” the other person or get into the problem-solving mode to eliminate issues. It is all about giving the other person healthy space to speak out and simply listen to their problems without judgment or being condescending.
10. You Are Sympathetic And Empathetic Towards Each Other
You may be on opposite poles of the spectrum mentally, but you both get where the other person is coming from. Understanding each other’s perspective is a healthy sign of emotionally connected couples and demonstrates true care and concern for the partner. Also, if both of you are putting in equal effort to make the relationship thrive, you have a strong emotional connection.
11. You Do Not Hide Your Quirks
If you can openly indulge in your most embarrassing and strange habits in front of your partner, congratulations – you are in an emotionally mature relationship as you can only do so if there is no fear of judgment or embarrassment.
12. You Are Each Other’s Priority
As mentioned earlier, a healthy emotional relationship is one where both people prioritize their partner’s needs without any sense of obligation or expectation. They are equally involved in making the relationship a success.
13. You Are Not In The Relationship Just For Sex
As hard as it may be to believe, in emotionally charged relationships, physical intimacy comes second to emotional connectedness. In other words, open and honest feelings contribute to the level of intimacy, not solely sexual attractiveness.
14. You Are Patient With Each Other
One of the ingredients of a strong emotional connection is patience. If you find that both of you routinely demonstrate patience, especially when the other partner is being difficult or irrational, it is a sign of emotional connection at its best.
15. You Share Plenty Of Non-Sexual Intimate Moments
Do you find yourself completing each other’s sentences? Do you notice how there is a sixth-sense at play when your partner orders in your favorite pastry just when you were silently craving one? Do you find yourselves laughing at jokes that seemingly no one else seems to get? These are just some examples of non-sexual intimacy that makes emotional relationships fun and rewarding.
Now that you understand what the signs of emotional connection are, let us see why an emotional connection is so significant in the first place.
Why Is An Emotional Connection Important In A Relationship?
An emotional connection helps couples feel secure in their relationship. Some of the major benefits that emotionally connected partners enjoy are:
- They have a greater sense of trust, transparency, and emotional closeness
- They feel truly heard, seen, and – more importantly – accepted by their significant other.
- They are able to effortlessly engage in honest and fulfilling communication.
- They are able to identify and accept each other’s emotions, flaws, needs, mistakes, and desires easily.
- They are more mindful of their actions and not quick to judge or over-react.
- They truly value and respect each other.
- They are less prone to drifting apart, even when the going gets extra tough.
- They are in tune with their partner’s needs and, at the same time, self-aware of their own needs and shortcomings.
Having an emotional connection acts as the steering wheel that can help you navigate your relationship. So, how can you connect with your partner emotionally? Read on to find out.
How To Connect With Your Partner Emotionally
It goes without saying that having an emotional connection brings more joy and peace into the couple’s lives. Here are some tried-and-tested tips that can help you connect with your partner emotionally:
- Greet your partner with a smile in the morning and before going to bed.
- Express your love through small gestures peppered throughout the day (2). Hug them randomly, thank them for being themselves while watching TV at night, kiss their hand as they serve you dinner, bring them flowers for no reason at all, and so on.
- Hug your partner when you return home at the end of the day.
- Send a long, heartfelt text for no reason.
- Acknowledge it when you are being reactive and put it into everyday practice.
- Express your remorse and apologize from the heart.
- If you are being unnecessarily defensive and have realized it during the fight, say it out loud and accept it in front of your partner.
- Do not let ego get in the way and allow the emotional cold war to last longer than necessary.
- Think of your relationship as ever-evolving and dynamic so that the fights and blows do not end up leaving a long-lasting dent.
- Continue to pay attention to your partner and try to imbibe good virtues from them.
- Focus on establishing trust via small gestures, open conversations, and gentle mindfulness towards the relationship.
- Instead of putting unpleasantries and issues on the back burner, take charge and initiate a solution to demonstrate emotional maturity.
- Resolve conflicts and grievances with a cool head and sound logic.
- Do not engage in any kind of blame games or judgment.
- Look for ways to demonstrate compassion and empathy.
- Be willing to show your vulnerabilities and let your guard down to facilitate a deeper sense of understanding and empathy.
- Study your partner and understand what their life goals are.
- Try to be as emotionally available to your partner as needed, even if it is often.
- Show affection and understanding by giving each other space.
- Fight fair and try not to cross a line during a heated argument.
- Try to truly understand the other person’s perspective by putting yourself in their shoes.
- Do not bring up past issues that have been resolved again and again. It is best to leave the past in the past.
- Understand that building an emotional connection does not happen overnight. Rather, it is a complex and subjective matter that requires a lot of effort and dedication from both parties involved.
Note that there is no standard formula or template that you can follow, as an emotional connection should happen organically and intuitively. However, you can follow the ideas and tips suggested above to trust your gut and move ahead in the right direction. As long as the initiative and effort are not forced, you are golden.
Infographic: 10 Characteristics Of An Emotionally Connected Relationship
As easy staying emotionally connected in a relationship sounds in theory, the harder it is to execute. There is so much outside of your relationship that can distract you or influence you negatively. But you must realize that your relationship is your constant. When all else fails, it is the home you go back to. No matter what kind of challenges your relationship might face, it is important to remember to be appreciative of your partners and put in the work the relationship demands.
Check out the infographic that summarizes the 10 characteristics necessary for a relationship to be emotionally fulfilling.
An emotional connection is the foundation stone of any relationship. If you do not feel connected to a person, any amount of gestures or gifts cannot fill that void. Therefore, you must be emotionally connected to your partner and care for them on a deeper level. Some signs of such a fulfilling relationship are that both partners support each other, listen, do things together, and are each other’s priority. Having such a relationship can help you feel accepted, have a sense of self-confidence, and enjoy a secure bond.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to make a man emotionally attached to you?
When it comes to building a strong and healthy relationship, it’s important to create a sense of emotional security for your partner. Start by accepting and supporting him for who he is, while also encouraging open communication and vulnerability. Show him love and care, and give him the space he needs to feel comfortable being himself. With time and effort, your partner may naturally become more emotionally attached to you as he feels more secure and supported in the relationship.
What creates an emotional connection?
An emotional connection with someone is founded upon trust and love. These critical elements serve to unite people and fortify relationships, creating a strong sense of emotional attachment that can last indefinitely.
What are some barriers to emotional connection in a relationship?
Lack of communication, emotional baggage, differences in attachment styles, lack of trust or intimacy, and work or financial pressures are some common barriers to an emotional connection.
Can a lack of emotional connection lead to relationship problems?
Yes, a lack of emotional connection can lead to partners feeling distant, unloved, or unsupported. This can lead to feelings of loneliness, resentment, or dissatisfaction.
What role does communication play in building emotional connection?
Effective communication is key to building an emotional connection as it helps partners understand each other’s thoughts, feelings, and needs. Communication creates a safe space for emotional expression and helps partners work through conflicts and misunderstandings, deepening their understanding, love, and appreciation of each other.
Can couples therapy help strengthen their emotional connection in a relationship?
Yes, a therapist may assist in identifying and removing obstacles to emotional connection, enhancing communication abilities, and offering strategies to increase intimacy and trust. Therapy can also give partners a secure and encouraging atmosphere to communicate their needs and wants, resolve problems, and forge closer emotional ties.
What are some common misconceptions about emotional connection in relationships?
One common misconception is that an emotional connection comes naturally and requires no work. Maintaining an emotional connection requires constant effort. Another misconception is that establishing an emotional bond simply depends on sex or physical attractiveness. In contrast, the emotional connection goes beyond physical attraction and entails a far deeper level of emotional intimacy.
Can emotional connection be re-established after it has been lost in a relationship?
Yes, it requires both partners to be willing to put in the effort to improve communication, address underlying issues, and rebuild trust. With patience, empathy, and a commitment to working through obstacles, partners can rekindle their emotional connection and deepen their relationship.
- Lack of emotional connection and support ruins the happiness in a relationship.
- Both partners should work towards building an emotional connection.
- If you are emotionally connected, you feel a deep sense of attachment, respect, and care for the other person.
- Such a connection helps you navigate your relationship.
Are you feeling emotionally connected to your partner? Check out this video for the tell-tale signs to see if it is true love.
Articles on StyleCraze are backed by verified information from peer-reviewed and academic research papers, reputed organizations, research institutions, and medical associations to ensure accuracy and relevance. Read our editorial policy to learn more.
- Attachment theory and emotions in close relationships: Exploring the attachment-related dynamics of emotional reactions to relational events
- Expression and Regulation of Emotions in Romantic Relationships