Ending a relationship is never easy, and it makes you feel heartbroken, disorienting, and sad. At times, you may even feel empty and cannot put your feelings into words. If you are looking for quotes that can relate to the end of a relationship, this post is for you.
Oftentimes, relationships come to end without closure or a proper good bye. It could a gradual drifting-apart, or an ugly divorce, but no matter the scenario, coming to terms with your emotions and healing from the separation can be challenging. Many of us would rather look to the internet for understanding than our own peers who we might feel courageous enough confiding in.
Check out our list for those end of relationship quotes that resonate with your state of mind and offer some solace to your aching heart.
In This Article
How Do You Know It’s The End Of A Relationship?
When you are committed to your partner, life feels beautiful. However, if you have started feeling like you would be better off alone, it’s time to end the relationship. A relationship could end due to various reasons – fading of love, cheating, abuse, etc. This does not make the breakup process easy though! As appealing as another person’s single life freedom might appear, navigating being single yourself after a long time of attachment can be disorienting. Ending a long, loving relationship is never easy. It makes you feel empty, heartbroken, and in intense pain at times. But, it is the best thing you can do if being together does not bring you peace and happiness anymore. For your own growth and recovery from the separation, indulge in lot of self-love and self-care. And if you need some kind words of encouragement, we have a little something for you.
Love and heartbreak have been around since time immemorial, and many literary greats and prominent personalities have waxed poetic about it. Check out what wisdom they had to impart about the end of a relationship below.
101 Best End Of A Relationship Quotes
1. “The heart was made to be broken.”– Oscar Wilde
2. “Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.”– Alfred Lord Tennyson
3. “I think the universe meant for us to let go and just start something new with another person.” – Anonymous
4. “Nothing in the universe can stop you from letting go and starting over.” – Guy Finley
5. “It takes bravery to end a relationship.” – Leona Lewis
6. “I think that the best thing that I have learned from you is that I can still survive after you too.” – Anonymous
7. “Some people will leave you soon no matter how, but it’s not the ending of your story, it’s just the ending of their role in your story. ‘Cause life goes on, and you should just expect damage from others.” – Marouane LAASSAFAR
8. “Lies don’t end relationships. Usually, the truth does…” – Anonymous
9. “You may not push me away, but you’re not fighting to keep me either.” – Anonymous
10. “Death ends a life, not a relationship.” – Robert Benchley
11. “And in the end, all I learned was how to be strong alone.” – Anonymous
12. “You cannot start the next chapter of your life if you keep re-reading the last.” – Anonymous
13. “Pleasure of love lasts but a moment, pain of love lasts a lifetime.”- Bette Davis
14. “After your breakup, go through life slowly and stay true to what you need in each moment.” – Lesley Robins
15. “Love is unconditional, relationships are not.” – Grant Gudmundson
16. “One of the saddest things about ending a relationship is losing your best friend.” – Anonymous
17. “Never regret. If it’s good, it’s wonderful. If it’s bad, it’s experience.” – Victoria Holt
18. “Celebrate endings – for they precede new beginnings.” – Jonathan Lockwood Huie
19. “You learn more about someone at the end of a relationship than at the beginning.” – Anonymous
20. “Friendship often ends in love; but love in friendship – never.” – Charles Caleb Colton
21. “Sometimes you have to forget what you want in order to remember what you deserve.” – Anonymous
22. “Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.” – Marilyn Monroe
23. “If love breaks more than a heart, maybe it’s a sign and time to step out.” – Anthony Liccione
24. “Just because a relationship ends, it doesn’t mean it’s not worth having.” – Sarah Mlynowski
25. “The loss of love is not nearly as painful as our resistance to accepting it is.” – Tigress Luv
26. “Your heart breaks when you find a love that is not for you, so just let love find you.” – Anonymous
27. “If a relationship is to evolve, it must go through a series of endings.” – Christopher Morley
28. “If you are not sure where you stand with someone, then it might be time to start walking.” – Anonymous
29. “If your love broke apart when you least expected it to, maybe it was meant to break apart.” – Anonymous
30. “We mistakenly assume that if our partners love us they will react and behave in certain ways – the ways we react and behave when we love someone.” – John Gray
31. “It was a great thing that I was with you, but now it must come to an end, we must forget it.” – Anonymous
32. “I wish I could have known that we would still end this so I could have saved myself as well.” – Anonymous
33. “I was wondering when it would be, our end of relationship. But now here we are, both hurt.” – Anonymous
34. “Look and see and realize that the world is better without him in it, you were right to end it.” – Anonymous
35. “People try to find the best things with the wrong people only to end up failing so badly too.” – Anonymous
36. “Even the best things in this life can fall apart as we are now.” – Anonymous
37. “I thought I was strong holding on to you, but I am stronger now letting you go.” – Anonymous
38. “Though our relationship has ended, I still love you all the same, it was worth it all.” – Anonymous
39. “I still think that one day, someone will help me prove that love can last for a lifetime.” – Anonymous
40. “Some of us think holding on makes us strong; but sometimes it is letting go.” – Herman Hesse
41. “The thing is that love eventually dies if the flame is not kept tended to, and that is truly sad.” – Anonymous
42. “Maybe we were never meant for each other, we were just meant to be a lesson to one another.” – Anonymous
43. “We must celebrate this moment, though it is hard, that we are finally free from what we had.” – Anonymous
44. “It is sad when a relationship fails, but it is better to know it early on than later after marriage.” – Anonymous
45. “Do what you did in the beginning of a relationship and there won’t be an end.” – Tony Robbins
46. “To meet, to know, to love and then to part, is the sad tale of many a heart.” – Samuel Taylor Coleridge
47. “The end that we had was not the greatest, but it taught me a great deal, that is the truth.” – Anonymous
48. “Though what we had has ended, our life hasn’t, so let us go out there and find new love for us.” – Anonymous
49. “What we had was magical, it was beautiful, and yet here we are at the end of our relationship, girl.” – Anonymous
50. “I will live my life, even without you here by my side. That is the path I must take from now on.” – Anonymous
51. “There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page and closing the book.” – Anonymous
52. “You would not believe this but someday, you will realize that ending it was better for us.” – Anonymous
53. “I need to tell you that we must stop what we have before it becomes more and more toxic.” – Anonymous
54. “When we try to save something that is already dead, we will fail miserably.” – Anonymous
55. “We all deserve to be with someone who makes us happy, not someone who makes us miserable.” – Anonymous
56. “One of the most unfortunate realities of heartbreak is that our ‘natural’ responses often do us more harm than good.” – Guy Winch
57. “Think about any attachments that are depleting your emotional reserves. Consider letting them go.” – Oprah Winfrey
58. “So often the end of a love affair is death by a thousand cuts, so often its survival is life by a thousand stitches.” – Robert Brault
59. “Ever has it been that love knows not its own death until the hour of separation.” – Khalil Gibran
60. “This marks the end, and as much as I hate it, we must both accept that this is for the better.” – Anonymous
61. “I wish we never got here to the end of our relationship, but it is something that we must do for us both.” – Anonymous
62. “In any relationship in which two people become one, the end result is two half people.” – Wayne Dyer
63. “It is better to end something and start another than to imprison yourself in hoping for the impossible.” – Anonymous
64. “Relationships end too soon because people stop putting the same effort to keep you as they did to win you.” – Anonymous
65. “One of the reasons why relations end is because one is doing everything to save it, and the other is finding every way to end it.” – Anonymous
66. “Any time you end a relationship, and everyone has ended plenty in their life, it’s always a tough thing and hard to get over.” – Adam Brody
67. “You can love them, forgive them, want good things for them…but still move on without them.” – Mandy Hale
68. “In the end there doesn’t have to be anyone who understands you. There just has to be someone who wants to.” – Robert Brault
69. “End the relationships and cry once. Believe me, it’s better than being with them and crying daily…” – Chandramoy Indu
70. “Just because a relationship ended doesn’t mean two people stopped loving each other. They just stopped hurting each other.” – Anonymous
71. “Relationships are never a waste of time. They might fail to bring you what you want, but they end up teaching you what you don’t want.” – Anonymous
72. “Relationships end, but they don’t end your life. But people do often spend more time finding out about failed relationships than finding successful ones.” – Steve Martin
73. “Until you let go of all the toxic people in your life, you will never be able to grow to your fullest potential. Let them go so you can grow.” – Anonymous
74. “Stop looking at the end of a relationship as a failure. Leaving it behind can be a courageous choice – and an opportunity for you to be honest and authentic.” – Georgia Kolias
75. “Almost all of our relationships begin and most of them continue as forms of mutual exploitation, a mental or physical barter, to be terminated when one or both parties run out of goods.” – Wiston Auden
76. “A sad thing in life is that sometimes you meet someone who means a lot to you only to find out in the end that it was never bound to be and you just have to let go.” – Dave Matthews Band
77. “Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don’t know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of withering, of tarnishing.” – Anais Nin
78. “Getting even with the person that broke your heart will never give you peace. The only thing that will heal your wounds is believing that God loves you enough to bring someone else into your life to respect you and love you in the way you deserve!” – Shannon L. Alder
79. “The end of a relationship is not always a failure. Sometimes all the love in the world is not enough to save something. In these cases, it is not a matter of fault from either person. Some things cannot be, it’s as simple as that.” – Ashly Lorenzana
80. “And maybe, for now, a happy ending doesn’t include a relationship. Maybe it’s you, on your own, picking up the pieces and starting over, freeing yourself up for something better in the future. Maybe the happy ending is just…moving on.” – Anonymous
81. “When you think this pain is all you deserve, you are right. You are the only one that can decide how long you will walk in hell.” – Shannon L. Alder
82. “Going through a breakup is actually very similar to grieving a death. You’re grieving the loss of someone you love and learning to live life without them by your side.” – Samantha Burns
83. “We had more in common than I thought we did. You were my priority. You were your priority.” – Kate McGahan
84. “Oh, it was meant to be. It just wasn’t meant to last.” – Kate McGahan
85. “Even if you initiated your split, you are going to be overcome with interminable sorrow. You are not only mourning the loss of someone significant in your life, but saying farewell to your dreams of an eternity together.” – Rachel Sussman
86. “You’ll slowly start seeing life beyond the breakup, and eventually life won’t be about the breakup at all.” – Lesley Robins
87. “None of us knew how terribly these two fine people suffered in secret. I do not think that they ever stopped loving each other, but deep down in their nature they did not belong to one another.” – Hermann Hesse
88. “Ending something doesn’t have to be filled with regret, anger, or negativity. We have experiences and memories that serve a purpose.” – Omar Lee
89. “The mother loved me, the sister loved me, the father loved me, IT COULD’VE BEEN PERFECT!” – Mariah Carey
90. “It ended sadly. The kind of ending where you wait together, holding hands and weeping, while off in another room, love slowly dies.” – Abigail Thomas
91. “When things aren’t going your way, like during this breakup, you must fight for your own happiness. If you keep looking on the outside for validation, especially from a man, you will lose.” – Lesley Robins
92. “I’m here and I’m there, couldn’t see past the end of my beer, at what was getting near or the silence after the cheers.” – Mike Skinner
93. “Ending a long-term relationship is extremely tough, and recovering from the issues you’ve had in the relationship is even tougher and takes time.” – Jyoti Patel
94. “Even the best of friends face conflicts, but that needn’t mean the end of the relationship.” – Anonymous
95. “Real heartbreak is unmistakable, from the intensity of the emotional pain it causes, to the totality with which it takes over our mind and even our body. We think of nothing else.” – Guy Winch
96. “No matter your role in this breakup, whether you were dumped or you walked away, it takes serious courage and resiliency to make it through to the other side.” – Samantha Burns
97. “Although breakups can feel unbearable, we don’t die from them.” – Rachel Sussman
98. “You’ve felt the grief and sadness along with the anger associated with your breakup. Your body is literally a giant tank filled with emotions, and they need to be released.” – Andi Dorfman
99. “Unlike real hurricanes, heartbreak has no eye – it offers no reprieve and it leaves no place to take shelter. We thus remain exposed, drenched, and miserable until it passes.” – Guy Winch
100. “Letting go does not mean you’re giving up, it simply means you’re making a conscious choice to acknowledge that something is out of your control.” – James A. Murphy
101. “Now, defeating kryptonite and getting over a broken heart is incredibly tough. It’s also wildly empowering. But the even bigger victory is finally living your own life again without the constant presence of heartache.” – Greg Behrendt
Infographic: Top 10 Relatable End Of Relationship Quotes
Nobody said ending a relationship is easy. Moving on with your life without that special one is truly a different kind of pain. If you are looking for words that will soothe your broken heart, you have come to the right place. We have rounded up a few end-of-relationship quotes that will offer you comfort in this difficult time. Check out the infographic below to know more!
Nobody said ending a relationship is easy. It is the end of a beautiful era with a cherished loved one. While the relationship gave you love and unforgettable memories, it also gave you sadness and loneliness. That is why ending the relationship may be beneficial for your and your partner’s mental health. Going through some of these end of relationship quotes written by some of the greatest writers in history can provide you comfort in this intense and difficult time. Even though it may seem difficult now, time will allow you to heal from this heartbreak and move on.
Frequently Asked Questions
What to say when breaking up with someone you love?
Start the conversation with warmth and love and remember not to add insult to injury by re-hashing the problems. Instead, gently but firmly tell the person that the relationship is no longer working, then listen to what they have to say without getting defensive or blaming.
When to call it quits in a relationship?
If you are not happy (your needs aren’t met) in your relationship, are facing violence in any form, or are not OK with your partner’s behavior, call it quits in the relationship.
Why is silence so powerful after a breakup?
Cutting off all forms of communication with your ex frees you from unhealthy attachments, and gives you a strong and affirmative sign that you can live without them.
Relatable relationship quotes can be extremely helpful for your healing journey and self-discovery. Watch this informative video to cope with the pain of ending a relationship.