The endomorph diet is designed to boost metabolism for people with endomorphic body types. Your body’s metabolic rate determines whether you gain fat, maintain a healthy weight, or lose weight. People with the endomorph body type have a slower metabolism. They gain fat easily and find it difficult to lose it. Their body fat percentage is higher, and they can become overweight or obese. Therefore, finding a good diet for endomorphs is important.
In This Article
Endomorph: What It Is And Its Types
People with the endomorph body type tend to gain weight fast. Their process of weight loss is also slow in comparison to others. This body type is mainly characterized by high-fat content in the chest, abdomen, and waist (1). According to the University of Houston, endomorphs have a lot of body fat (2). Less muscle mass is also a feature of this body type. Individuals with the endomorph body type usually fall under two categories:
- Meso-endomorph: People have thick arms and legs and a boxy chest and midsection in this body type. They tend to retain water and a layer of fat on the top of their muscles.
- Ecto-endomorph: People with this body type have a soft midsection, flabby upper arms and legs, and droopy chests.
While these are the two endomorph body types, how do you identify yours? Knowing if you have an endomorph body type is the first step to treating it. Read the next section.
How To Know If You Are An Endomorph
You may be an endomorph if you gain weight fast and face difficulty losing weight even with calorie restriction. An apple-shaped body is also a significant characteristic of the endomorph body type.
Those with an endomorph body type also tend to have short arms and legs, wide waist and hips, fall asleep quickly, and put on weight easily after a high-carbohydrate diet. In addition, studies show that the endomorph body has a layer of fat deposited in the abdomen and chest, making the person’s appearance bulky and apple-shaped (1).
Endomorph diet is believed to have a beneficial effect on people with this body type. In the next section, know what the endomorph diet is and how it works.
What Is An Endomorph Diet And How Does It Work?
People with an endomorph body type have a slower metabolism. As a result, their body tends to convert excess calories into fat easily. Therefore, a proper diet plan is necessary to shed the excess pounds.
Endomorphs should prefer foods rich in protein and healthy polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats. Foods containing refined carbohydrates must be avoided. Calorie-laden foods are forbidden for endomorphs.
A high-protein diet with moderate fat and carbs is ideal for this specific body type. But what kind of foods can one include in the diet? Learn more in the next section.
Foods List For Endomorphs
A diet for the endomorph body type has to be chosen carefully with the proper distribution of macros – as they play a significant role in body metabolism (3).
Fruits and vegetables must be a part of the diet as they have an anti-obesity effect (4). The diet should also include complex carbohydrates like whole grains and lentils. Foods rich in fiber must also be included for their anti-obesity effects (5). Low fiber intake may also lead to fat accumulation in the body (6).
|Day 1: Egg frittata made with tomatoes, spinach, and onion||Protein shake||Grilled chicken salad with tomatoes, beans, and tzatziki sauce||Whitefish drizzled in olive oil, roasted cauliflower, and broccoli|
|Day 2: Smoothie made with Greek yogurt, almond milk, and yogurt||Sliced veggies and hummus||Open-faced turkey, veggies, and avocado sandwich on whole-wheat toast||Sliced steak stir-fry over cauliflower rice|
|Day 3: Greek yogurt layered with cinnamon, apple, and walnuts||Sliced avocado and hard-boiled eggs||Sweet potato stuffed with shredded chicken, drizzled with low-sugar barbecue sauce||Shrimp and grilled veggies with cauliflower rice|
|Day 4: Scrambled eggs, spinach, and egg white||Roasted sunflower seeds and a piece of fruit||Kale salad dressed with olive oil, topped with cucumbers, salmon, and bell peppers||Grilled chicken breast over zucchini noodles and tomato sauce|
|Day 5: Hard-boiled eggs with blueberries||Greek yogurt with sliced almonds||Mediterranean lentil salad with sun-dried tomatoes, chopped raw veggies, and Kala Mata olives||Veggie and bean soup with a grilled chicken breast|
|Day 6: Cottage cheese with slivered almonds and cinnamon||Sliced veggies and hummus||Stir-fry made with chicken and bell peppers over brown rice||Turkey tacos wrapped in lettuce and topped with a slice of avocado|
|Day 7: Omelet made with spinach and pepper, topped with avocado slices||Protein bar||Quinoa mixed with chopped veggies and cubed chicken breast tossed with vinaigrette||Salmon, steamed broccoli, sautéed mushrooms|
Popular Diets That May Work For Endomorphs
- Fast Metabolism Diet
This diet is followed to rev up one’s metabolism. The primary rule is to eat certain foods but only in a particular order. It is said that you can alter your metabolism by eating foods in a specified order. In addition, eating more vegetables, fruits, and whole grains can improve metabolism. However, this diet is not backed by research. But consumption of fruits and vegetables has many health benefits nonetheless.
- Mediterranean Diet
The Mediterranean diet focuses on fruits, vegetables, whole grains, healthy fats like olive oil, beans, and a limited amount of dairy and fish. People with the endomorph body type may have a higher risk of cardiovascular disease, blood pressure, diabetes, and obesity. A Mediterranean diet helps minimize this risk (7). However, more quality research is warranted in this regard.
- Vegan Diet
A vegan diet may be a perfect fit for endomorphs as it contains fewer carbohydrates and helps enhance metabolism (8). However, the vegan diet may lack as much protein as other diets. Nevertheless, you may overcome this challenge by including soy, almonds, quinoa, lentils, and chickpeas in a vegan diet.
A healthy diet is always effective when coupled with exercise. Read on to know the exercises suitable for the endomorph body type.
Endomorph Workout: Which Exercises Are Ideal For This Body Type?
- Keep your head straight and try to maintain a good posture.
- Try to keep your hands at waist level and relax.
- Relax your shoulders and warm up for 30 seconds.
- You can inhale and exhale with the nose while running.
- Start with moderate speed and gradually increase the speed and duration.
2. Brisk Walking
- Try to relax your shoulders, neck, and back. Rotate your shoulders and neck slightly for warming up.
- Keep your head straight. Do not look down.
- Keep your back straight and try to engage your abdominal muscles.
- Walk at a slow and steady pace and roll your foot from heel to toe.
- Start with a minimum duration and gradually increase.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and keep your arms by your sides.
- Bend slowly into a squat position and place both hands on the floor.
- Bend slowly for a plank position by kicking your legs back slowly.
- Jump forward to return to a squat position. Return to the initial standing position.
- You may start with 3 repetitions and gradually increase to 10 repetitions.
Although diet and exercise play a significant role in boosting metabolism, they must be backed by proper lifestyle changes. Know what they are in the next section.
Other Lifestyle Changes You Can Make
- Get Adequate Sleep
Sleep deprivation may lead to obesity and slow down metabolism (9). As Sound sleep is necessary for proper body functioning, aim to get quality sleep every night.
- Eat Enough
Anecdotal evidence suggests that restricting your calorie intake may slow down your metabolism. Balance your calorie intake and exercise regularly to see visible results.
- Hydrate Adequately
There is a direct link between dehydration and metabolism. Dehydration alters metabolism and may lead to metabolic dysfunction (10). Have water or fruit juices or vegetable/fruit-infused waters to ensure adequate hydration.
Healthy weight loss and improved metabolism are the primary outcomes of an endomorph diet. However, the diet has other health benefits too.
- Exercise Regularly
Physical activity is of immense importance to burn out the stored fat and increase metabolism. You can exercise six days a week for at least 30 minutes. This will enhance your mood and provide mental relaxation, which will improve metabolism.
Benefits Of The Endomorph Diet
According to the United States Department of Agriculture, the overall calorie intake does not exceed the intake needed to maintain a healthy weight. Additionally, healthy dietary patterns support healthy weight and help in the prevention of chronic diseases (11).
1. May Reduce The Risk Of Cardiovascular Disease
An endomorph diet majorly focuses on low carbohydrate intake. Low-carb diets were found to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease (12).
2. May Reduce Blood Pressure
People with the endomorph body type are more likely to be at risk of high blood pressure (13).
3. May Promote Skin Health
Anecdotal evidence suggests that a diet high in refined carbohydrates may cause acne. An endomorph diet, being low on carbs, promotes skin health and helps manage the risk of acne. The diet is also rich in fruits and vegetables that help promote skin health.
Despite the many beneficial effects it offers, the endomorph diet may exhibit a few undesirable effects as well. Know more in the next section.
Disadvantages Of The Endomorph Diet
There are no potential disadvantages of the endomorph diet. But some people may find it difficult to limit the intake of carbohydrates. They may also experience digestive alterations and mood changes in the initial days. However, you can overcome these by trying out different food combinations.
The endomorph diet, specifically designed for people with endomorph body types (they have slower metabolism), can be a game-changer. It is a high-protein and moderate-fat and -carbohydrate diet that excludes refined carbs and calorie-rich foods. The diet comprises fruits, vegetables, chicken, fish, whole grains, dried beans, nuts, etc. It also focuses on consuming fiber for its anti-obesity effect. Studies suggest this also helps reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and hypertension. If you have an endomorph body, you can also try a fast metabolism diet, Mediterranean diet, or vegan diet. Besides, physical activities like running, brisk walking, and regular exercise also help increase metabolism.
- Individuals with an endomorph body have a slower metabolism and gain weight easily.
- Eating a diet high in lean protein, vegetables, and whole grains will help them shed those pounds.
- Engaging in physical exercises and drinking a sufficient amount of water will improve your mood and boost your metabolism.
- A person on the endomorph diet will see several health benefits such as lower blood pressure and improved skin health.
Articles on StyleCraze are backed by verified information from peer-reviewed and academic research papers, reputed organizations, research institutions, and medical associations to ensure accuracy and relevance. Read our editorial policy to learn more.
- Identification of Somatotype Characteristics and Diet Inflammatory Index (DII) Profiles in Female Adolescents Obese with Different Sub Types of Metabolic
- The Somatotypes
- Metabolism of Macronutrients
- Fruit and Vegetable Intake: Benefits and Progress of Nutrition Education Interventions-Narrative Review Article
- Dietary fiber and weight regulation
- A diet lacking soluble fiber promotes weight gain mouse study suggests
- Health Benefits of Mediterranean Diet
- The effects of plant-based diets on the body and the brain: a systematic review
- Sleep and obesity
- A Journey through the Early Evidence Linking Hydration to Metabolic Health
- Dietary Guidelines For Americans 2020-2025
- The effects of low-carbohydrate diets on cardiovascular risk factors: A meta-analysis
- Relationship between somatotype and blood pressure in a group of institutionalized Venezuelan elders
- The Best 4-Week Indian Diet Plan For Weight Loss
- 12 Best Diets That Work For Weight Loss
- 16/8 Intermittent Fasting – 8 Hour Diet For Fast Weight Loss
- 15 Super Herbs For Boosting Weight Loss Naturally