Eucalyptus oil is a popular essential oil used in many hair care remedies. Using eucalyptus oil for hair may stimulate new hair growth and help maintain healthy scalp and hair. Eucalyptus leaves are dried and crushed, and then distilled to prepare this oil. Discover here the many advantages of applying eucalyptus oil to your hair and how to make the most of these benefits. Keep reading.
In This Article
How Is Eucalyptus Oil Good For Hair
We have briefly discussed how eucalyptus oil can be good for your hair.
- Improves Cortex Growth: Eucalyptus extracts boost growth in the hair cortex. They also increase beta-sheets (a form of hair protein structure) in the hair (1).
- Increases Hair Gloss: Eucalyptus extracts, with regular use, also improve hair shine and bounce (2).
- Helps Treat Dandruff: A 2012 study showed that eucalyptus has anti-fungal properties and can be used as an anti-dandruff agent (3). The study diluted eucalyptus oil with coconut oil and used the mixture to treat dandruff.
- Has Antioxidant And Anti-inflammatory Properties: Eucalyptus oil contains antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties (2). The oil may fight free radical damage and premature hair graying. It also may help soothe scalp irritation and inflammation.
- Improves Hair Quality: In another study, eucalyptus oil was used in shampoo as an anti-fungal agent. The oil was found to nourish hair (4).
- Promotes Scalp Health: Eucalyptus oil has antimicrobial and anti-fungal properties that keep the scalp clean and prevent fungal infections (4), (5).
- Eliminates Head Lice: Eucalyptus oil, when paired with lemon tea tree oil, can be used in the treatment and prevention of head lice (6). The oil also contains terpenes that may help eliminate lice and its eggs (7), (8).
- Helps Prevent Piedra: Eucalyptus oil acts against the fungus Trichosporon ovoides that causes piedra, a fungal hair infection characterized by nodules on the hair shaft (9).
- Improves Hair Elasticity: Eucalyptus oil can increase hair elasticity and prevent hair from splitting at the ends (2). It prevents hair from breaking easily.
- May Prevent Scalp Disorders: Eucalyptus oil may help treat scalp disorders like psoriasis, scalp pimples, and dry scalp. However, more research is warranted in this regard.
- May Increase Blood Circulation: Eucalyptus oil may improve blood circulation and stimulate hair growth. However, research is limited in this regard.
- May Boost Ceramide Production: Eucalyptus oil may also increase the production of ceramides. These may prevent protein loss in the hair strands. However, more research is warranted in this aspect.
- Eucalyptus Oil Can Be Used For Hair Growth: In a study, a formulation containing eucalyptus oil stimulated hair growth (2). The oil may also prevent dandruff and improve blood flow. Another study showed that aromatherapy using essential oils like eucalyptus might prevent hair loss, stimulate hair growth, and improve overall scalp and hair health (10).
These are the various ways eucalyptus oil may help promote hair health. The following section highlights the procedure to use the oil to achieve the same.
How To Use Eucalyptus Oil For Hair Growth
You Will Need
- Eucalyptus oil: 2 to 4 drops
- Coconut oil 2 tablespoons
- Warm the coconut oil a little. Ensure it is not hot.
- Mix the warm coconut oil with the eucalyptus oil.
- Apply the mixture to your hair and scalp.
- Massage it into the scalp with your fingers for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Use a comb to spread the oil evenly over the scalp. The motion of the comb on the scalp also has a massaging effect.
- Leave the oil blend on your hair for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Wash it with warm water and shampoo.
45 minutes to an hour
Once a week until hair improvement is noticed. You can then use it once every two weeks.
Why It Works
Coconut oil can help stimulate hair growth and improve hair texture while also protecting the hair from damage and protein loss (11). It also prevents dandruff and lice (12). Eucalyptus oil also can stimulate hair growth and improve overall scalp health (10). A mixture of these two oils may enhance long-term hair health.
We saw how to use eucalyptus oil for boosting hair health. But the oil may also cause certain adverse effects. It is better to be aware of them before you start using the oil.
Side Effects Of Eucalyptus Oil For Hair
Eucalyptus oil may cause poisoning and show symptoms like vomiting, CNS depression, epigastric pain, nausea, contact dermatitis, hypotension, and tachycardia (13). This oil cannot be used in its concentrated form. It has to be diluted for correct usage. Inhaling eucalyptus oil may lead to seizures. It may also cause allergic reactions and skin inflammation symptoms like redness, burning sensation, bumps, and itching.
Perform a patch test before using the oil. Dilute a drop of eucalyptus oil with a teaspoon of coconut oil. Apply the mixture to a part of the forearm or behind the neck. Check for any redness, swelling, or other reactions.
You can also dilute eucalyptus oil in other ways before using it on your hair.
How To Dilute Eucalyptus Oil For Hair
Eucalyptus oil cannot be used directly on the hair and scalp. It needs to be diluted with a base/carrier oil. You may also use jojoba oil, castor oil, almond oil, argan oil, or olive oil. Most of these oils can penetrate the hair fibers and enhance the absorption and effectiveness of eucalyptus oil.
You may also add a few drops of eucalyptus oil to your conditioner or shampoo. Such a combination may also help treat dandruff.
The verdict is in – it is good to use eucalyptus oil for hair care due to its many hair care benefits, such as increased growth and hair shine. When paired with lemon or tree oil, it can be used to fight and prevent head lice. It also prevents fungal infections like piedra and scalp disorders. This oil can stimulate hair growth and, when used in aromatherapy, may prevent hair loss. You can use eucalyptus oil by combining it with a carrier oil such as coconut oil. But eucalyptus oil should not be used in its concentrated form. It should be diluted with a carrier oil and then applied to the scalp. This oil may cause skin inflammation, allergic reactions, and other side effects.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does eucalyptus oil cause gray hair?
No. In fact, eucalyptus oil treats some of the causes of premature graying, like hair damage and scalp disorders, to improve overall hair and scalp health.
In addition to eucalyptus oil, what other ingredients are effective in treating dandruff?
You can use coconut oil, rosemary oil, basil oil, tea tree oil, peppermint oil, and lemongrass oil to reduce dandruff. You can also use apple cider vinegar, aloe vera, probiotics, baking soda, onion juice, garlic, lemon juice, and fenugreek seeds.
Can I mix rosemary oil and eucalyptus oil for hair growth?
Yes, you can mix rosemary and eucalyptus oils together and apply it to your hair and scalp. Make sure you dilute both essential oils with a carrier oil, like coconut oil. After you apply the oil blend, massage it into your scalp.
- Eucalyptus oil has antimicrobial properties that help treat dandruff, eliminate head lice, and improve overall hair shine and texture.
- However, using concentrated eucalyptus oil can result in side effects such as an allergic reaction, skin inflammation, and nausea.
- It is, thus, important to mix eucalyptus oil with a carrier oil such as almond oil, argan oil, or olive oil to experience the benefits of eucalyptus oil.
- Changes In Hair Properties By Eucalyptus Extract, Journal Of Cosmetic Science,
- The Pharmacological And Therapeutic Importance Of Eucalyptus Species Grown In Iraq, IOSR Journal Of Pharmacy,
- Studies On The Antidandruff Activity Of The Essential Oil Of Coleus Amboinicus And Eucalyptus Globulus,
Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Disease, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S2222180812602503?via%3Dihub
- Formulation And Evaluation Of Onion Hair Nourishing Shampoo, Journal Of Drug Delivery And Therapeutics, https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/caf8/cdb18f230e0bcabe2e37427aad2ea2a471cf.pdf
- Anti-fungal Activity of Eucalyptus Oil against Rice Blast Fungi and the Possible Mechanism of Gene Expression Pattern, Molecules,
- The Efficacy Of Australian Essential Oils For The Treatment Of Head Lice Infestation In Children: A Randomised Controlled Trial, The Australasian journal of dermatology,
- Therapeutic and Medicinal Uses of Terpenes, Medicinal Plants: From Farm to Pharmacy,
- Chemistry And Bioactivity Of Eucalyptus Essential Oils, Allelopathy Journal,
- Inhibitory Effect Of Essential Oils Against Trichosporon Ovoides Causing Piedra Hair Infection, Brazilian journal of microbiology,
- Method For Preparing A Hair And Scalp Condition-Enhancing Composition With Increased Efficacy Of Blending Aroma Oil,
Google Patents, https://patents.google.com/patent/WO2012002724A2/en?oq=eucalyptus+oil+for+hair+growth
- Effect of mineral oil, sunflower oil, and coconut oil on prevention of hair damage, International Journal Of Cosmetic Science, https://www.essentialnutrition.com.br/media/artigos/mctlift/25.pdf
- Medicinal Benefits of Coconut Oil, International Journal of Life Sciences Research, https://www.researchgate.net/publication/268805677_Medicinal_benefit_of_coconut_oil
- A Case Series Of Eucalyptus Oil-Induced Seizures, Asian Journal Of Pharmaceutical And Clinical Research, https://innovareacademics.in/journals/index.php/ajpcr/article/view/38443