How many of you know that your daily workout routine does not only help your body? Exercise also aids healthy hair growth. Sounds great, right? If you think that too much sweat is bad for your hair, you are wrong. Sweating out actually helps in producing the natural oils in the scalp. There are several exercises that help with hair growth. They have a positive effect on your hair as they increase blood flow to your scalp. In this article, we have discussed the benefits of exercising for your hair and the best exercises and yoga poses for hair growth. Take a look!
Table Of Contents
Benefits Of Exercises For Hair
Exercising regularly not only makes you fit but also promotes healthy hair growth. It helps open up the pores in your scalp and increases blood flow to that area, which brings more nutrients and oxygen to the follicles. Several exercises release natural oils from the scalp and provide nourishment to the hair roots, thereby promoting healthy hair growth.
- Exercising releases endorphins (the happy hormone) that help you relax. Stress is one of the primary reasons for hair loss, and working out helps in reducing stress.
- Working out helps stimulate blood flow to the scalp and enriching the hair follicles with nutrients.
- It stimulates hair growth by increasing the oxygen flow to the scalp.
Now, let’s check out the best exercises for hair growth!
Best Exercises For Hair Growth
Note: Though exercising is said to improve hair growth, it is important to note that there is no scientific evidence to prove the same.
1. Neck Exercises
Neck exercises are an effective way to grow healthy hair growth. Stretching your neck muscles can aid hair growth by releasing the tension and stress in the surrounding muscles. Simply doing side-to-side and front-to-back movements with your head can improve blood circulation which, in turn, boosts hair growth.
- Stand straight with your hands relaxed on the sides.
- Now, slowly bend your head forward and bring it back, extending it as much as possible.
- Bend your head sideways, stretching on each side for at least 10 seconds.
2. Inversion Method
The inversion method is a popular technique that makes your hair more lustrous by stimulating hair growth with an increase in blood flow. The greater the oxygen received by the cells in the scalp, the greater the chances of you having healthy locks. This inversion method technique is composed of two parts. First, you need to perform a head massage that helps to stimulate the follicles. Then, hanging upside down to increase the blood flow to the scalp.
- Apply hair oil and massage your scalp by combing through the hair thoroughly.
- Use your fingers to massage your scalp in a circular motion for around 5 minutes.
- Lay down on your bed with your head hanging down and your neck supported by the edge of the bed.
- Remain in this position for 4 minutes.
Cardio exercises, like jogging, allow you to sweat out the unnecessary toxins from the body. The sweat that is released during jogging opens the pores on the scalp and helps unclog hair follicles, allowing some room for hair growth. Furthermore, this exercise can help increase blood circulation to the scalp, which then promotes healthy hair growth. Try to start jogging for at least half an hour every day to get healthy hair.
4. Breathing Exercises
Breathing exercise (Kapalabhati Pranayama) (also known as ‘shining forehead’) involves a series of inhalations and exhalations. It helps in promoting hair growth, preventing hair loss, and delays premature graying of hair. This breathing exercise boosts oxygen to rejuvenate damaged hair and promotes new hair growth.
- Sitt in a comfortable position with your back straight.
- Take a deep breath and pull your stomach in as much as possible at the same time.
- Then, exhale.
- Keep the exhalation brief and the inhalation longer.
- Perform this breathing exercise 20 times.
5. Scalp Massage
Scalp massage is a simple yet inexpensive exercise for hair growth. This exercise improves the blood circulation in the scalp, which is essential for healthy locks (1). Scalp massage aids in hair growth by opening the pores on your scalp to provide the essential nutrients to the hair follicles (2). This effective exercise also reduces stress and offers relaxation, thereby promoting hair growth and thickness. Do this scalp massage once every week.
- Pick any nourishing hair oil that is rich in nutrients. Coconut oil and olive oil are some great options.
- Warm up the oil in a microwave for a few seconds.
- Part your hair down the middle.
- Apply the warm oil to your scalp with your fingertips.
- Massage your scalp with your fingers in a circular motion and distribute the oil all over the scalp.
- Gradually increase the intensity of the massage to improve blood flow in the scalp.
6. Head Massage
Head massage is an ancient Ayurvedic practice that involves performing rhythmic movements on acupressure points to relieve a number of issues like stress, headaches, graying of hair, and baldness. With your fingertips pointing upward, massage your scalp with slow, circular movements.
Furthermore, acupuncture is a very interesting way of increasing hair growth. This innovative process works by tapping the pressure points on our fingers. Massaging the base of the neck and the shoulder, either yourself or by getting some else to do it, has also been shown to help in the regrowth of hair. You can massage your left shoulder with your right hand and vice versa.
Now, it’s time to check out the best yoga poses for hair growth!
Best Yoga Poses For Hair Growth
Yoga is excellent for promoting better hair. It not only affects your body but also reduces stress, increases concentration, and leads to better blood circulation in the scalp since it involves inverted poses and backbends. Regular yoga practice is highly beneficial for making your hair lush, improving hair growth, and preventing hair fall.
Yoga poses like Suryanamaskar (Sun salutation) and Tadasana (breath awareness) help to come over hair fall (3).
Yoga asanas like Pavanamuktasana (wild relieving pose), Uttanasana (standing forward fold pose), Vajrasana (diamond pose), Uttanpadasana, Sarvangasana, and Balayam Yoga (rubbing nails) are claimed to help in stimulating hair growth.
While exercising can improve hair growth, there are some mistakes that you need to avoid. Check them out in the next section.
Common Mistakes While Doing Exercises
Working out excessively can cause temporary hair loss in both men and women. It can disrupt the hair growth cycle and make your follicles enter the resting phase too early. When your body is subjected to extreme stress due to heavy workouts, it can cause hair fall. Excessive exercise also causes you to sweat and salty sweat to build up on your scalp, which can cause faster shedding or other damage to your hair. Also, being inconsistent with your workouts is another common mistake you should think about.
Now, let’s answer a very common question asked by people.
Can Cardio Workouts Make Your Hair Grow?
Exercises should be considered as a part of a holistic beauty and hair care routine. The best exercise for hair growth is said to be cardio as these intense exercises increase the production of sebum, an oily substance that coats the hair strands and prevents your scalp and hair from drying out. Cardio is claimed to affect the production of sebum by getting rid of the toxins from your body.
However, no scientific link has been found between cardio exercises and hair growth.
The release of healthy sebum is said to be the best way in which exercise and sweating can contribute to better hair care. This can be obtained by a steam bath in a sauna after an intense workout session. Steam may increase the production of sebum and lead to better and longer hair.
Doing half an hour of cardio two to three times a week could result in healthy hair. One good cardio exercise is the side-to-side hop exercise.
- Begin by standing straight with a hip-width gap between both feet. Position your arms as if you were jogging.
- Bend your knees slightly and jump sideways, left to right.
- Then, bend back to the right in the manner.
- Keep jumping left and right alternately for 3 minutes.
Exercising can help you overcome stress and anxiety and in maintaining a healthy body. As stress is directly related to hair loss, doing workouts regularly may help in combating hair loss and promoting hair growth. Also, it can stimulate blood circulation in the scalp and improve the secretion of natural oils. Hence, start doing exercises regularly for healthy hair growth.
- 6 Amazing Yoga Asanas That Will Help With Faster Hair Growth
- How To Make Your Hair Grow Faster – 15 Simple Tips
- How To Stimulate Hair Growth And Maintain Hair Health
- 7 Yoga Poses That Can Protect Your Hair
- Mamaearth BhringAmla Hair Oil Reviews
Latest posts by Sindhu Koganti (see all)
- Side Effects Of Facial Waxing : Prevention And Tips - March 30, 2021
- Mango Butter For The Skin: Benefits, How To Use, And More - March 26, 2021
- Double Cleansing For Clear, Glowing Skin - March 25, 2021
- Wrinkled Hands: Causes, Treatments, And Remedies - March 24, 2021
- Does Whey Protein Cause Acne? - March 23, 2021