Eyebrow slits have recently taken the Instagram world by storm, but this concept has existed in the hip-hop community for decades. Did you know that the traditional term for them in hip-hop is ‘cuts’? While the trend originally gained popularity in the ‘90s, it is back again with people from various cultures trying it out as a form of self-expression. But here’s the thing – it is essential to acknowledge that this is more than just a “trend.” In fact, it carries an entire culture’s legacy.
Do take a moment to think if this look is genuinely about self-expression or something you only want to do because it’s “the in thing to do.” After all, cultural appropriation is not cool.
If the look really does appeal to you, you’re free to give it a shot. Read on to find out how you can create eyebrow slits without messing up.
How To Create Eyebrow Slits
The trick involves creating thin, vertical slits towards the sides of your brows. You can make up to one to three slits on one or both of your brows.
What You Need
- A razor or an electric clipper
- Scotch tape
Step By Step Tutorial With Pictures
Step 1: Mark It Out
Before you begin, make sure you know where you want your slits to be placed. Use a white eyeliner pencil to mark vertical lines where you want the slits to be placed on your brows. This will ensure precision and accuracy.
Step 2: Place Tape Parallel To The Line
Stick some tape on both sides of the line, leaving a thin gap between them. This is where you will create your eyebrow slit. The two pieces of tape guide you in shaving straight lines and prevent you from making any mistakes.
Step 3: Shave!
Carefully shave the eyebrow hair between the two pieces of tape. The trick is to only move vertically! Make sure you don’t press too hard or go outside the lines as you don’t want to peel away the tape from the rest of your brow.
Step 4: Remove The Tape
Peel off the tape gently. Be careful not to pull out any eyebrow hair. Use a wet wipe to wipe away the liner. If you seem to have missed a hair or two, simply pull them out using your tweezers.
You now have eyebrow slits!
Now that you have a fair picture of how to create eyebrow slits, here is a guide to some handy tips and precautions to keep in mind while you’re doing it.
Creating Eyebrow Slits: Essential Tips And Precautions
- Here’s something to consider before you slit your brows – you could potentially end up with regrowth issues forever. Yes! Aggressive plucking of brow hairs can lead to permanent alopecia.
- If you want to experiment without committing to something permanent, you can always try other temporary techniques like creating eyebrow slits using makeup. You only need your regular brow makeup and some concealer to create the cuts.
Eyebrow slits have currently been made incredibly popular among young people by celebrities like Zayn Malik, Chloe Norgaard, and Tom Hardy. However, don’t just blindly mimic your idols. Try and understand what works for you and your style! That was our take on creating eyebrow slits. What do you think about this trend? Is it something you would try? Do let us know in the comments section below!
Latest posts by Esha Saxena (see all)
- Acrylic vs. Gel vs. Shellac Nails: What’s The Difference? - March 7, 2019
- A Complete Guide To Eyelash Extensions - February 28, 2019
- Stage Makeup Tutorial - February 27, 2019
- How To Thin Out Nail Polish - February 26, 2019
- Cut Crease Makeup Tutorial - February 21, 2019