As kids, we’ve all played dress-up with that fancy makeup we found on our mum’s vanity. And as time passed, we experimented with a thing or two, be it high-shine lip gloss or an intense eyeliner look (thanks to Avril Lavigne.) A part of being a teenage girl involves the need to try everything with an extra dose of enthusiasm. At this point in your lives, trying a new haircut or a new makeup product becomes all the more fascinating. I get it, girls – been there, done that. If you’re keen on giving makeup a shot, go ahead, but do it right. Don’t paint over your pretty faces, or use makeup techniques that aren’t meant for you and end up looking older than you are. Nope! Here’s what you can try instead! Read on to find out all about makeup for teens.
Makeup Essentials For Every Teenage Girl
You don’t have to use all these products on a daily basis, but if you have something special coming up, knock yourself out. These are some essentials you can start out with, in your makeup bag.
- Tinted moisturizer or BB cream
A Blemish Balm does about everything you need – from moisturizing to evening out your skin tone, combatting UV rays, and protecting your skin from harmful externalities. It’s lightweight and great for young skin. Try the Maybelline Dream Fresh BB 8-in-1 Beauty Balm Skin Perfector SPF 30 or The Body Shop All-in-One BB Cream.
If you’re worried about dark spots or scars left behind from acne, a wee bit of concealer can be of immense help to you. You can try the Maybelline Fit Me Concealer or NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer as both of these are quite gentle on the skin. Remember, a little goes a long way!
- Cream Blush
If you want to flaunt flushed cheeks through the day, a cream blush in a rosy pink tone will help you flaunt your cheeks all through the day. It will brighten just about any look! Try the Revlon Photoready Cream Blush or Tarte Cheek Stain.
- Neutral Eyeshadow Palette
Just like that killer pair of sneakers, or your favorite jeans, a neutral eyeshadow palette is a necessity in every makeup bag for creating subtle eye makeup looks with ease. Try the Covergirl Nudes TruNaked Eyeshadow Palette or the L’Oreal Paris Colour Riche La Palette Nude.
There’s nothing like eyeliner to make your peepers pop. Brown eyeliner is the best bet for you’ll as it enhances the eyes without looking overdone. Try the Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil or the Essence Waterproof Eyeliner Pen.
Mascara is perhaps the most fun makeup product to play with. A little bit of it can make a world of a difference to your look and amp it up, because who doesn’t love fluttery, long lashes? Try the Maybelline Volume Express Colossal Mascara or the Covergirl Lash Blast Mascara.
- Lip Gloss
The gateway makeup – lipgloss or a sheer lip cream is best for teenagers! Choose sheer pink or neutral shades that are age appropriate and will work for any occasion. Try the NYX Cosmetics Butter Gloss or Maybelline New York Baby Lips Moisturizing Lip Gloss.
How To Apply Makeup For Teens – A Step By Step Tutorial
Your teen years are the perfect time for some fresh, simple yet fun makeup looks. Now that you have an idea of all the essentials to have on your dresser, here’s a tutorial to help you create the perfect look.
1. Prep Your Skin
Start with a clean slate. Wash your face with a gentle cleanser, exfoliate if necessary, and apply your moisturizer. If you have oily skin, you can use a priming moisturizer instead.
2. Apply BB Cream
Apply your BB cream or a tinted moisturizer with a brush or your fingers. Blend it out well until your skin looks even-toned. Make sure you keep it really light by applying a thin layer for a natural-looking finish.
3. Go In With Concealer
If you have dark spots or dark under eye circles, apply a concealer. Don’t go overboard with the concealer and focus on problem areas only.
4. Add Some Blush
Use a subtle rosy pink cream blush and apply it using your fingers. You want a naturally flushed look, so keep it light and blend the product out well. You can add a light translucent powder on the other areas of your face.
5. Enhance Your Eyes
Apply a neutral eyeshadow on your lids and apply a coat of mascara to enhance your eyes. This will instantly make you look more awake. Groom your eyebrows with a spoolie.
6. Apply Your Lip Color
Use a tinted lip balm or a lip gloss for your pout – a color that looks very subtle and sheer to add a hint of color and hydration to your lips.
Voila! Here’s the final look! Isn’t it perfect for school?
Tips: Makeup Tips And Tricks For Teenage Girls
Girls, you know what you need, and you know how to go about creating a simple, go-to makeup look that’s literally perfect for any occasion. The best thing about makeup is that you get to further enhance your already gorgeous features. Don’t use it as a crutch or try to look like somebody else, but use it to put your best face forward. Get it?
Here are a bunch of tips that will come in handy and help you make the most of it.
- Always moisturize and use a light primer as these are the best things you can do before putting any makeup on. This step will help set a smooth base for your makeup to go on while reducing oiliness and shine. Try the Benefit POREfessional Primer!
- It’s always a good idea to curl your lashes before putting on mascara. If you curl them after you have already put it on, it’s more likely to clump and ruin the look.
- Use only high-quality products with ingredients that won’t clog your pores or harm your skin. When you’re a teenager, your skin is more prone to breakouts – use makeup that suits your skin type and won’t irritate it.
- When you’re using your concealer to cover those pesky blemishes, use one that matches your skin tone and set it with loose powder to prevent it from fading through the day.
- It’s also very important to take off your makeup at the end of the day. Make sure you incorporate CTM (cleansing, toning, and moisturizing) into your daily beauty routine for skin that is healthy and flawless.
I bet you teens are excited to shop the world of cosmetics for the first time, and let me tell you, your makeup skills are bound to get a gazillion times better by the time you’re twenty. So keep at it, do what you love, and don’t feel shy to experiment with makeup. Of course, it has to be appropriate for the place and the occasion (you know the drill better). Lastly, make sure you eat healthy, drink a lot of water, and look after yourself so that the unmatched beauty of your youth will shine through without a lot of effort. What are you going to try first? Let me know in the comments section below.
- Top 100 Simple Makeup Tips and Tricks For Girls
- Top 20 Eye Makeup Tips for Beginners
- Top 60 Indian Bridal Makeup Tips
- 21 Beauty Tips That Every Teen Should Know
- Best Beauty Products for Teenagers
Latest posts by Esha Saxena (see all)
- The Top 10 Jobs Dominated By Women - May 3, 2019
- What Is The ‘Glass Ceiling’ And How To Break It - April 10, 2019
- All You Need To Know About Gender Equity - April 3, 2019
- All You Need To Know About Matriarchy - March 29, 2019
- 35 Inspiring Leadership Quotes From Powerful Women - March 27, 2019