Facial waxing is the most common technique to eliminate excess facial hair. It is popular among those who want to avoid using razors on their face. Although waxing your face is considered safe, it may cause pain, ingrown hairs, redness, and rashes if not done properly. In this article, we have discussed the side effects of facial waxing, how to prevent them, and some extra tips. Take a look.
In This Article
The Side Effects Of Facial Waxing
1. Is Painful
Pulling out the peach fuzz is indeed painful! However, it also depends on your skin type, the type and brand of waxing products, the hair density on your face, the pain tolerance levels, and the area you are waxing. Usually, waxing the upper lip or sensitive skin can be painful.
2. May Cause Rashes
This is a common side effect of facial waxing. The facial skin is delicate compared to the skin on your body. Waxing may cause temporary irritation and fluid-filled blister-like rashes. If the rashes do not go away after 2-4 days, consult your dermatologist. Also, avoid waxing your face and switch to other hair removal techniques.
3. May Cause Redness And Inflammation
Facial waxing may cause mild redness and inflammation with a burning or stinging sensation. Freshly waxed skin is sensitive to touch, and these symptoms should subside within a few hours. Apply a soothing gel or cream to your face immediately after waxing. Avoid using products with harsh chemicals for a few days.
4. May Cause Ingrown Hair And Bumps
If the hair is not removed from roots, it may cause ingrown hair and bumps on your face. An ingrown hair occurs when the hair shaft breaks just below the skin and may appear like an inflamed bump after a week of waxing. It is painful and can cause itching and temporary inflammation.
5. Slight Bleeding
The hair follicles are connected to blood vessels. When you wax and rip the hair out, you may see tiny blood droplets oozing from the pores. This type of trauma is common during waxing. In case you observe abnormal or continuous bleeding, consult your doctor.
6. Allergic Reactions
Face waxes can cause allergic reactions. You may experience hives, itching, and rashes. Do a patch test to prevent this.
Also, waxing tanned or sunburned skin is not a good idea. It may cause sensitivity and breakouts on the waxed area. Usually, facial waxing does not cause any scars. However, if not done the right way, it may peel the top layer of the skin and cause scarring. Hence, take extra care while waxing your face. Here are a few tips to prevent any such side effects.
How To Prevent The Side Effects Of Facial Waxing
- Never use body waxes on your face. They may bruise your skin.
- Always read the instructions on the product labels before using facial wax.
- Avoid waxing wounded skin to prevent infections.
- Avoid facial waxing if you have dry and sensitive skin.
- Do not opt for facial waxing if you have recently undergone laser treatment.
- Avoid facial waxing if you are using any prescription topical treatments for acne, age, and dark spots.
Here are a few more tips to keep your skin protected during facial waxing.
Tips For Facial Waxing
- Exfoliate your face a day before waxing to clear all dirt and pollutants. It will smoothen the waxing process.
- Post waxing, apply a cold pack to your face for at least 20-30 minutes to reduce pain and inflammation. Applying a soothing gel may help ease the discomfort.
- When using hot wax, check its temperature before application to prevent burning your skin.
- Always spread the wax evenly and pull it in the direction of the hair growth. This helps avoid ingrown hairs and bumps.
- Follow a proper skin care routine and apply face serum a night before doing facial wax.
In A Nutshell
Face waxing removes facial hair to give you soft and smooth skin in no time. However, be cautious when waxing the delicate facial skin as it may cause temporary discomfort and irritation. Follow the tips mentioned in the article to prep your skin for waxing and caring for it after the procedure. If you have sensitive skin, it is better to take professional help.
Frequently Asked Questions
How often is it safe to wax your face?
You may wax your face every 2-3 weeks. This is because facial hair grows faster than body hair, and you may see more growth in areas like the upper lip, chin, and eyebrows.
Does facial waxing cause more hair growth?
No. Facial waxing does not cause more hair growth. Regular facial waxing may make the hair thin and invisible over time.
Is it better to shave or wax your face?
Shaving is considered safe for the skin as it removes facial hair and exfoliates the skin to brighten it. On the flip side, waxing pulls the hair, exposing the follicular openings and may disrupt the epidermis.
- Side Effects Of Laser Hair Removal You Should Be Aware Of
- Bumps After Waxing: Causes, 5 Home Remedies, And Prevention Tips
- Home Remedies And Tips For Unwanted Facial Hair