You should always care about a friend who stands by you in the ups and downs of your life. But, you should be equally careful about those who just pretend to be your friend. “With friendship, it can be tricky in that we all have different interpretations and values of what friendship consists of,” says Relationship Expert, Dr. John Ryan De Oca.
We have listed some fake friends quotes to help you segregate the phony ones from the real friends. While friendships help us grow as human beings, they may sometimes break for different reasons. If you face such a situation, take a cue from these fake friendship quotes to back you up and ride over the tide of emotions. Read on to know some interesting quotes on fake friends.
In This Article
Fake Friends Quotes And Sayings
- “People may not always tell you how they feel about you, but they will always show you. Pay attention.” – Keri Hilson
- “Friends are supposed to make you feel better about yourself. Just remember that.” – Anonymous
- “A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow.” – William Shakespeare
- “Someone who smiles too much with you can sometimes frown too much with you at your back.” – Michael Bassey Johnson
- “I have got more respect for someone who comes out and says they don’t like me than for the ones who act like they do but talk bad about me when I’m not around.” – Mitchell Perry
- “An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind.” – Buddha
- “Don’t fear the enemy that attacks you, but the fake friend that hugs you.” – Obameso Sunkanmi
- “They don’t miss you when you are gone; they miss you when you move on.” – Anonymous
- “Don’t tell me what they say about me. Tell me why they feel comfortable telling you.” – Denzel Washington
- “You will be surrounded by many so-called well-wishers during your good times, but there will be only a few ones around you in your bad times.” – Anurag Prakash Ray
- “Chocolate friends may not last any longer than fake ones, but they sure as hell taste better.” – Kevin Brooks
- “Stay away from fake people because you don’t know when they will throw you.” – Anonymous.
- “It is true that one friend who used to mean the world to you and now you cannot trust a single word that comes out of their mouth.” – Anonymous
- “True friends are like diamonds, precious and rare. Fake friends are like autumn leaves, found everywhere.” – Ari Joseph
- “Fake people talk about other people being Fake. Real people worry about their business and nobody else’s.” – Ziad K. Abdelnour
- “Fake friends are like coal. When hot, they burn your hands. When cold, they turn your hands black.” – Anonymous
What’s worse than a fake friend? A two-faced friend! Such friends go to any level to make you believe that they have your best interests in mind. However, it isn’t true at all, and you end up being distanced from your true friends. Check out these indirect quotes for fake friends.
Two-Faced Fake Friends Quotes
- “Make sure the lions you roll with aren’t snakes in disguise.” – Genereux Philip
- “A true friend never gets in your way unless you happen to be going down.” – Arnold H. Glasow
- “The most dangerous among us come dressed as angels, and we learn too late they are the devil in disguise.” – Carlos Wallace
- “It is only the great-hearted who can be true friends. The mean and cowardly can never know what true friendship means.” – Charles Kingsley
- “Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “We never lose friends; fake ones are exposed.” – Carlos Wallace
- “The best defense is to keep off the radar of negative people.” – Steven Redhead
- “It is necessary, and even vital, to set standards for your life and the people you allow in it.” – Mandy Hale
- “One fake friend can do more harm than 10 enemies… Be smart choosing your friends.” – Ziad K. Abdelnour
- “What greater wound is there than a false friend?” – Sophocles
- “True friends accept you for what you are, wart and all.” – Jeffrey Michael
- “Weeding out the harmful influences should become the norm, not the exception.” – Carlos Wallace
- “Time passes, and you begin to see people for who they really are and not who they pretend to be.” – Scarlet Koop
- “There are people that will give you time when it shines, then fade away when it shades.” – Anthony Liccione
- “Friends ask you questions; enemies question you.” – Criss Jami
- “You never lose friends. Real ones will always stay no matter what, and the fakes you don’t need anyway.” – Drishti Bablani
It is an accomplishment to unveil the true face of a fake friend finally. Pat yourself on the back for not falling into their trap, and enjoy the funny quotes below as a reward for thinking on your feet.
Sassy Fake Friends Quotes
- “Sometimes, it is not the people who change; it is the mask that falls off.” – Anonymous
- “Fake friends are like shadows: always near you at your brightest moments, but nowhere to be seen at your darkest hour.” – Habeeb Akande
- “If you are not going to be a comfort, have the decency to be an empty space.” – Jennifer Crusie
- “Thank God I found the GOOD in goodbye.” – Beyoncé
- “Fake people are like pennies, two-faced and worthless.” – Anonymous
- “It makes no sense to try to extend a fake friendship that was only meant to be a season into a lifetime.” – Mandy Hale
- “Letting go means to realize that some people are a part of your history, but not a part of your destiny.” – Steve Maraboli
- “Fake friends tell you pretty lies; true friends tell you ugly truths.” – Anonymous
- “You will evolve past certain people. Let yourself.” – Mandy Hale
- “I realize there is something incredibly honest about trees in winter, how they are experts at letting things go.” – Jeffrey McDaniel
- “When people can walk away from you, let them walk. Your destiny is never tied to anybody that left.” – T.D. Jakes
- “The most dangerous creature on this earth is a fake friend.” – Anonymous
- “I hate two-faced people. It is so hard to decide which face to slap first.” – Anonymous
- “If you are not going to be a comfort, have the decency to be an empty space.” – Jennifer Crusie
- “The only keeper of your happiness is you. Stop giving people the power to control your smile, your worth, and your attitude.” – Mandy Hale
- “Pay close attention to those who don’t clap when you win.” – Anonymous
Remind yourself that even though it feels like you have lost a friend, you have instead gained perspective and saved yourself from potential emotional damage. Face this challenging time like the ferocious queen you are!
Savage Fake Friends Quotes
- “Fake people are like costume jewelry: They look great for a while, then all of a sudden, their true selves ‘shine’ through.” – Nitya Prakash
- “I’m so tired of fake friends, drama, liars, being ignored, getting hurt.” – Anonymous
- “Fake people are like soap bubbles; they pop out when the sun shines brightly.” – Chiranjude Bird
- “Growing up means realizing a lot of your friends aren’t really your friends.” – Anonymous
- “Always sleep with one eye open. Never take anything for granted. Your best friends might just be your enemies.” – Sara Shepard
- “I love straightforward people. The lack of drama makes life so much easier.” – Anonymous
- “I just trust my intuition, taking into account the psychology of things. Therefore, I am not persuaded by facts, but by behaviors.” – Maria Karvouni
- “Don’t trust everything you see. Even salt looks like sugar.” – Narges Obaid
- “If you want to be my friend, I prefer honesty to fake praise. I was never one to run with the wolves.” – Christina Strigas
- “When you see the genuine, you don’t deal with the fakes anymore.” – Nima Davani
- “A friend to all is a friend to none.” – Aristotle
- “It is funny how the people who know the least about you always have the most to say.” – Auliq Ice
- “You don’t lose friends because real friends can never be lost. You lose people masquerading as friends, and you are better for it.” – Mandy Hale
- “I love fake people, provided they are mannequins.” – Pushpa Rana
- “Fake friends: once they stop talking to you, they start talking about you.” – Anonymous
- “The saddest thing about betrayal is that it never comes from your enemies.” – Anonymous
People can pretend to be your friend to either gain something from you or pull you down with them. Beware of such negative influences, and don’t let their ego-centric plans come to fruition. Nip such toxic relationships in the bud.
Selfish Fake Friends Quotes
- “Real friends don’t throw shade. They encourage. They know your insecurities and inspire you to evolve through kindness, love, and patience.” – Christina Daniels
- “Love does not dwell on how much one receives in return. If there is ever any balance in love, it is in a contest of who can love who more.” – Criss Jami
- “If you want to be a generous giver, you have to watch out for selfish takers.” – Adam Grant
- “If he doesn’t follow through with actions, he is either selfish or a liar. Neither makes him sound like ‘the one,’ does it?” – Matthew Hussey
- “It is also selfish because it makes you feel good when you help others. I have been helped by acts of kindness from strangers. That is why we are here, after all, to help others.” – Carol Burnett
- “Selfish people also tend to have victim mindsets… Their actions plant seeds of loneliness; then they cry upon the blooming.” – Steve Maraboli
- “What you love is your own love. It is not love; it is selfishness. It is not me you think of, but what you feel about me.” – John Fowles
- “Selfishness comes from poverty in the heart, from the belief that love is not abundant.” – Don Miguel Ruiz
- “This is what happens. You tell your friends your most personal secrets, and they use them against you.” – Sophie Kinsella
- “If you claim to be a real friend, then be real in your soul. If you claim to be fake, then be an enemy instead.” – Santosh Kalwar
- “A genuine enemy is more useful than a fake friend.” – Mokokoma Mokhonoana
- “Always be true to your friends, just as you are to yourself.” – Meg Cabot
- “People hate those who make them feel their own inferiority.” – Lord Chesterfield
- “The fastest way to lose friends and alienate people is to get better and improve yourself.” – Toby Young
- “Having a jealous friend is like having a bad habit.” – Urban Saying
- “Fake friends get mad when we don’t pretend to like them.” – Carlos Wallace
Eleanor Roosevelt, the former first lady of the U.S., said, “Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart.” This everlasting impression is proof of your friend’s unfaltering loyalty and belief in you. However, a fake friend’s loyalty is as fickle as the wind. It changes with your circumstances.
Quotes For Fake Friends’ Loyalty
- “The only thing more frustrating than slanderers is those foolish enough to listen to them.” – Chris Jami
- “Fear of something is at the root of hate for others, and hate within will eventually destroy the hater.” – George Washington Carver
- “Pretend to be poor in reality, and you will notice a decrease in your friends’ list and requests.” – Michael Bassey Johnson
- “No person is your friend who demands your silence or denies your right to grow.” – Alice Walker
- “Fake friends are like shadows. They follow you in the sun but leave you in the dark.” – Anonymous
- “Letting go of toxic people in your life is a big step in loving yourself.” – Hussein Nishah
- “Learn to use the criticism as fuel, and you will never run out of energy.” – Orrin Woodward
- “We never lose friends. We simply learn who the real ones are.” – Unknown
- “It takes a special kind of person to be a hater, but only a true loser will give the impression of being your friend while resenting every progress/success in your life.” – Cory Stallworth
- “There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves; it is not my nature.” – Jane Austen
- “Fire false friends. They are in to fast-forward your fall and failure.” – Israelmore Ayivor
- “A lot of problems in the world would disappear if we talk to each other instead of about each other.” – Anonymous
- “You got nothing to lose. You don’t lose when you lose fake friends.” – Joan Jett
- “A friendship that can cease has never been real.” – St. Jerome
- “Fake friends believe in rumors. Real friends believe in you.” – Yolanda Hadid
- “At some point, you have to realize that some people can stay in your heart but not in your life.” – Sandi Lynn
Differentiating a real friend from a fake one can be tricky sometimes. The quotes in the next section pinpoint how true and false friendships feel to help you make better decisions. Keep scrolling!
Real Friends Vs. Fake Friends Quotes
- “Friends are supposed to make you feel better about yourself. Just remember that.” – Anonymous
- “Having fake friends is like hugging cactus. The tighter you hug, the more pain you get.” – Riza Prasetyaningsih
- “The best way to stop being frustrated is to not expect anything from someone.” – Anonymous
- “Be very careful of who you share your problem with; remember that not every friend that smiles at you is your best friend.” – Kemmy Nola
- “False friendship, like the ivy, decays and ruins the walls it embraces; but true friendship gives new life and animation to the object it supports.” – Richard Burton
- “Some people’s fake is more honest than other people’s real.” – Stephen Chbosky
- “Life is all about losing friends, the people you know. So, just that you get better at finding the ones worth suffering for.” – Mohit Kaushik
- “The only wolves we got to fear are the ones wear manskin.” – George R.R. Martin
- “Fake people will insult you in front of the whole world, but those who are true to you will insult you more but in private.” – Shizra
- “It is a sad day when you find out who your friends aren’t.” – Unknown
- “I no longer have the energy for meaningless friendships, forced interactions, or unnecessary conversations.” – Joquesse Eugenia
- “The sieves of time filter out the fakes from the real. Don’t look back for them; they were filtered out for your refinement.” – Drishti Bablani
- “Fake friends are worse than real enemies.” – Anonymous
- “The worst part of success is trying to find someone who is happy for you.” – Bette Midler
- “Don’t break your back for a man that wouldn’t even scratch yours.” – Anonymous
- “I love my enemies; at least they admit that they don’t like me.” – Anonymous
With the world more inclined towards materialism, it is hard to find someone who is your friend without any ulterior motive. Head to the next section for quotes that reflect this bleak reality of fake friends being commonplace and true friendship being elusive.
Sarcastic Quotes About Fake Friends
- “Fake people don’t surprise me anymore; loyal people do.” – Unknown
- “My real friends never hearing from me, fake friends write the wrong answers on the mirror for me.” – Drake
- “Fake people have an image to maintain. Real people just don’t care.” – Hikigaya Hachiman
- “Don’t become so nice in this world where all are wearing a mask on their face to fool you.” – Anonymous
- “I love my phone because all my friends live inside it.” – Anonymous
- “Good friends are like stars. You cannot always see them, but you will know that they are there.” – Christy Evans
- “When our phones fall, we panic. When our friends fall, we laugh.” – Anonymous
- “Tell people how it is, be real, and be honest. If you see something wrong, make sure you speak up. Being this way will naturally eliminate the snakes and fakes.” – John Maiorana
- “When you are up there, hundreds of people will claim you as a friend. When you are down, you are lucky if one will buy you a cup of coffee.” – Frank W. Abagnale
- “Counting other people’s sins does not make you saint.” – Anonymous
- “The crap you hear about me might be true, or it could be as fake as the person who told you.” – Anonymous
- “Everybody has the right to be stupid. But you are abusing the privilege.” – Anonymous
- “Fake people show their colors when they have no use for you anymore.” – Anonymous
- “Fake people will always hate you because you are better than them, so move forward and stay away.” – Anonymous
- “Real friends don’t get offended when you insult them. They smile and call you something even more offensive.” – Anonymous
- “You don’t know what are they hiding in their heart, so don’t trust until you find.” – Anonymous
- “Being too nice is a crime today. Fake friends are everywhere around you. They will use you, and when you are of no use, throw you away like a wrapper.” – Shizra
- “Life is full of fake people, but before you decide to judge them, make sure you are not one of them.” – Anonymous
- “The word ‘friend’ is a label anyone can try on. You decide who is best suited to wear it.” – Carlos Wallace
- “One good thing about being in a bad situation: it makes picking out fake friends really easy.” – Anonymous
You can get rid of fake friends once their reality becomes known. But what do you do when those people are also a part of your extended family? Stay on your toes, and don’t place your trust in them again. After all, isolation is better than an imposter’s company.
Fake Family Friends Quotes
- “Most people want to see you do better, but not doing better than them.” – London Mond
- “Fake friends smile when you are down. True friends celebrate when you are up.” – Matshona Dhliwayo
- “You don’t evolve with fake friends or people that are not on your level. It’s much better to stay alone; then you can evolve.” – Cristi Cris
- “Better an honest enemy than a false friend.” – German Proverb
- “Friendship is delicate as a glass. Once broken, it can be fixed, but there will always be cracks.” – Waqar Ahmed
- “Hatred imprisons the haters; love opens doors.” – Debasish Mridha
- “Controllers, abusers, and manipulative people don’t question themselves. They don’t ask themselves if the problem is them; they always say the problem is someone else.” – Darlene Quimet
- “Some people think that the truth can be hidden with a little cover-up and decoration. But as time goes by, what is true is revealed, and what is fake fades away.” – Ismail Haniyeh
- “Make no mistake about it, people who say they love you but cannot be happy for your success do not love you.” – Germany Kent
- “Bitter truth of life. To have some genuine friends, you need to have some fake ones too.” – Shikha Kaul
- “A fake friend is someone that ridicules your feelings, steps on your emotions, and gossips about you behind your back.” – Karon Waddell
- “People only throw shade on what is shining.” – Genereux Philip
- “Hard times and fake friends are like oil and water: they don’t mix.” – Nkwachukwu Ogbuagu
- “Knowledge planted in truth grows in truth. Strength born of peace loses nothing to hate.” – Aberjhani
- “I would choose to live a century in a dark room instead of hanging out with fake friends.” – Sher E Yazdan
- “Stay real, stay loyal, or stay away from me.” – Anonymous
- “Like a rose, a fake friend exposes the petals in the tongue and hides the spikes in the heart.” – Nour Belhaj
- “I would rather be lonely than be friends with non-friends. Losing friends is hard, but losing fake friends, as it turns out, is pretty damn easy.” – Mindy Kaling
Once you understand the reality of your fake friend and their phony and backstabbing behavior, learn your lesson from experience, find hidden benefits in the negatives, and then move on. Whether you are dealing with poisonous friendships or an obligatory social interaction, cutting someone out of your life is a difficult decision. We hope these quotes help you determine the value of moving on from fake friends.
It is not easy to find out who is your genuine friend and who is just hanging out with you for ulterior motives. Fake friends can take away the peace of your mind and gradually make you feel inadequate without any fault of yours. And you shouldn’t let anyone do this to you. You deserve love, light, and happiness. And that is where our fake friends’ quotes will help you. We hope these fake best friend quotes have given you quite a good idea about how to recognize fake friends and cut them off from your life. So, protect yourself from these toxic people.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the signs of fake friends?
Fake friends do not punctuate their words with their actions. They hang around you only when they need you, hold you back from growing, manipulate you into doing their bidding, or shame you whenever you prioritize yourself. Your bond is one-sided; you do everything to hold on to them, but they only care about themselves. It is better to cut these friends off instead of trying to tolerate them and letting them drain you out.
Can a friend ghost you?
Yes. A friend can ghost you sometimes. However, this is most common in one-sided friendships. The person who ghosts the other was not really a friend.
How do you avoid fake friends?
Once you notice the sign of fake friends, do not hesitate to put your foot down and let them know that you wish to maintain a good distance from them. Do not share your thoughts and space with them. Do not let them manipulate you into keeping them around. You must reach out to your closest authority figure if they do not respect your wishes. There is no shame in taking help when someone is trying to bully you. “Also be careful you are not dropping the ball too fast. Sometimes a friendship needs to be nurtured a little longer. Often times we can confuse an acquaintance with a friend based on how much we like them. It’s best to be open-minded and curious,” advises Dr. De Oca.
Why does a friend become an enemy?
Friends become enemies only when there has been a lot of trust, emotions, and sincerity invested in the bond, but there is a sense of betrayal from one or both sides. The more one has given to a friendship, the more pain one feels when the other hurts them. If they cannot communicate about it and forgive each other, they could turn into enemies.
Feeling betrayed and backstabbed by fake friends? Watch this video to get inspired to rebel against them and embrace the power of self-love!