A female-led relationship, or FLR, is a relationship where the woman acts as the head of the family or relationship. She takes the lead in decision-making and serves as the dominant one in the relationship. Her partner serves as the submissive one.
Traditionally, men were the authority figures in a marriage. In recent times, this has changed to relationships that have equality between couples. However, in an FLR relationship, the woman is the authority figure. There are many kinds of female-led relationships, and each type has its own pros and cons.
In This Article
Kinds Of Female-Led Relationships
Female-led relationships can be categorized into four different types based on the level of intensity.
1. Low Control
In this type of relationship, the woman has mild authority, and the family decisions are taken by the woman after discussing with the man. The woman takes the lead in most scenarios. However, the male partner allows her to do so and may object to her authority from time to time.
2. Moderate Control
In this type of FLR, the woman acts as a leader for a while and does rule over the man from time to time. It not only boosts her confidence but also lifts her morale and makes their relationship more assertive and positive. The man often enjoys the dominant role of his woman and adheres to her demands. The woman usually makes all the everyday decisions, but she also stays within the boundaries of how far they both are willing to go as far as authority is concerned.
3. Defined Control
In this kind of FLR, the woman not only makes most decisions but also takes on the man’s role. However, the areas where she shows her dominance are defined. This ensures that there is a clear demarcation and both partners are happy.
4. Extreme Control
In this type of relationship, there is extreme control exercised by the woman. The man serves the woman unconditionally. This kind of relationship is for women who like to hold the ultimate power in their relationships.
Rules Of A Female-Led Relationship
A female-led relationship is defined by several rules. Some of them are:
- The woman makes most of the decisions concerning the family and household. The man does share his opinion before she makes a decision. However, it is up to the woman to accept it or reject it.
- The woman actively motivates the man to give up any bad habits, such as excessive smoking or drinking, by being authoritative and assertive.
- Household tasks – like cooking and cleaning – are equally divided between the man and the woman.
- The woman makes the financial decisions and the man can let go, trusting that his wife will take care of things.
- The woman’s decisions on whether to attend social events and gatherings are final.
Now, the question is, why would men agree to be subservient to their wives? It is because there are certain benefits of being in a female-led relationship. Check out what motivates men and women to seek an FLR in the next section.
Why Do Women Seek A Female-Led Relationship?
- There is a large percentage of women who like being in a female-led relationship because they get to exercise complete control over things – from kitchen management to finances, they get to have a say in everything.
- Women believe they get the opportunity to “mold” their men according to their own expectations.
- There is no power struggle in these relationships. No conflict means more peace and zero stress and tension.
Why Do Some Men Seek A Female-Led Relationship?
You may wonder why any man would want to give up control to his wife. Here are a few reasons some men willingly and happily get into an FLR.
- There are men who like this power dynamic. A man who agrees to an FLR willingly won’t mind being dominated by his wife. He may even be more attracted to his woman.
- When a woman is in control of the relationship, the man thinks he doesn’t have to bother about making any tough decisions that will affect him, her, and the relationship.
- A guy can enjoy peace at home as there is zero power struggle between him and his wife.
- Some men who let all their life decisions be made by a female figure, such as his mother, prefer to let a woman take charge.
- The men may want to focus on other things, such as advancing their careers.
Drawbacks Of Female-Led Relationships
There are, of course, negatives in this kind of relationship as well. Some of the issues are:
- A man who is in the submissive role may be too terrified to oppose his partner, even if the relationship is not healthy for him.
- An FLR or marriage can be affected by social stigma or the traditional views of society.
- The woman may make sub-optimal decisions without discussing it with her partner, which may make the man feel left out or unimportant.
It doesn’t matter what type of relationship you are in – every relationship has its own set of issues. So, it is crucial to maintain a healthy balance. A relationship in which the woman practices extreme control is not an option for most people as it is too hard on the man. You need to discuss with your partner and decide what a comfortable level for the both of you is.
How To Create A Balance In An FLR?
Women who are involved in a female-led relationship play a major role in maintaining some much-needed balance in the relationship. The simplest thing to do is to encourage your man to take some initiative. He should also contribute to the relationship and not be just a passive member of the family. Also, dominance does not mean disrespect. The woman must always respect her partner and keep his needs and requests in mind before making a decision that will affect them both. Mutual respect is a must for all relationships.
If you are part of a female-led relationship and have a feeling that the balance may be off in the relationship, you need to take a look at the way you and your partner communicate. Discuss the subject with your partner and see what they feel. You can also go for counseling if you want to re-establish a better balance.