Flax seeds are superfoods known for aiding weight loss. But, did you know that flax seeds also help in hair growth? Rich in vitamin E, B vitamins, protein, and omega-3 (1), flax seeds help nourish the follicles and make hair strands smooth and silky. Read on to know how to use flax seeds for thick hair growth with minimal effort. Swipe up!
Table Of Contents
Why Are Flax Seeds Good For Hair Growth?
1. Great Source Of Vitamin E
Vitamin E contributes to hair growth because of its strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, which prevent hair and scalp damage (2). Vitamin E can also help prevent premature graying due to oxidative stress (3).
2. Rich In B Vitamins
Deficiency in B vitamins (riboflavin, folate, biotin, and vitamin B12) is associated with hair loss (4). Flax seeds are rich in vitamin B12, biotin, riboflavin, niacin, pyridoxine, pantothenic acid, and folic acid (1). Consuming flax seeds can help replenish the low B vitamin levels, strengthen your hair, and promote hair growth.
3. Rich In Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Flax seeds are rich in omega-3 fatty acids. This polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA) helps lower inflammation in the body, which can help reduce hair loss and hair weakness (5).
4. Replete With Protein
Protein is essential for hair growth. Flax seeds are a vegan/vegetarian and gluten-free source of protein (6). Consuming flax seeds helps reach the recommended daily protein intake easily, which, in turn, helps strengthen the hair.
5. Balance pH Levels And Oil Production
Anecdotal evidence suggests that flax seeds can help balance the scalp’s pH levels and oil production. These factors directly affect the rate at which your hair grows and its health. Flax seeds soothe the scalp and help calm the sebaceous glands so that they produce the right amount of oil for healthy hair growth.
6. Keep Your Hair Conditioned
Flax seeds help condition your hair, making it smooth and manageable. They help bind moisture to the hair shafts, controlling breakage, split ends, dryness, and frizz.
7. Soothe The Scalp
An itchy or sensitive scalp can weaken the hair follicles, leading to hair loss. Flax seeds are rich in omega-3 fatty acids that help soothe scalp inflammation and sensitivity.
These are the 7 ways flax seeds help in hair growth. But how can you use them for hair growth? Check out the following section to know more.
How To Use Flax Seeds For Hair Growth
1. Flax Seed Oil For The Hair
You Will Need
- 2 tablespoons of flax seed oil
- A hot towel (
Processing Time: 45 minutes
- Heat the flax seed oil in a bowl for a few seconds until it is slightly warm.
- Massage this oil onto your scalp for about 15 minutes.
- Apply it to your hair lengths.
- Wrap your hair with a hot towel. You can heat the towel in the oven, dip it in hot water, or use a blow dryer to heat it.
- Wait for 30 minutes.
- Wash your hair with a mild sulfate-free shampoo.
- Do this 2-3 times a week.
How This Helps
The heat from the oil and the hot towel enables the goodness of flax seeds to penetrate your hair roots and shafts. This nourishes your scalp and hair and helps in healthy hair growth.
2. Flax Seed Hair Gel
You Will Need
- 1/4 cup of flax seeds
- 2 cups of filtered water
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
Processing Time: 5 minutes
- Boil the water and flax seeds in a pot until the liquid starts to thicken.
- Add the lemon juice and stir the liquid.
- Turn off the heat once the liquid reaches a gel-like consistency. Set it aside to cool.
- Strain and collect this gel in a jar.
- Use it to style your hair every morning. You can also use it as a topical treatment for your scalp to boost hair growth.
- Repeat this daily
How This Helps
This natural hair gel does not leave product buildup in your hair and boosts hair growth.
These are the two ways you can use flax seeds for hair growth. However, consuming flax seeds is more effective in aiding hair growth. Here are the various ways to add flax seeds to your diet for better hair quality.
How To Include Flax Seeds In Your Diet For Hair Growth
1. Eat Raw Flax Seeds
- Consume 2 tablespoons of raw flax seeds daily when you need a snack.
- Sprinkle a spoonful of flax seeds over stir-fried vegetables.
- Add a spoonful of flax seeds to your salads.
2. Ground Flax Seeds
Grinding flax seeds to a fine powder makes it easy to include in your diet. Grind the flax seeds and store the powder in an airtight jar. Keep it refrigerated and use in the following ways:
- Add the flax seed powder to your oatmeal or soup.
- You can also add the powder to smoothies, cookies, muffins, or milk.
3. Flax Seeds And Yogurt
This is one of the most delicious flax seed snacks out there.
You Will Need
- 1 cup of low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup of chopped strawberries
- 1/2 cup of blueberries
- 2 tablespoons of ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and serve.
Consuming flax seeds is good for your hair and overall health. However, it comes with a set of side effects. Scroll down to know what they are.
Probable Side Effects You Should Know
- Stomach cramps
- Low blood pressure
- Increase in estrogen levels, which is unfavorable during pregnancy.
- May interact with blood thinners and medicines for diabetes.
- Topical application may cause skin irritation.
Note: Stop using or consuming flax seeds immediately if you experience any of the above symptoms. Consult a doctor if things get severe.
Consuming flax seeds or the topical application of flaxseed oil and gel can improve your hair health. Indulge in a flaxseed oil treatment once a week and add flax seeds to your salad and smoothies. You will soon start noticing better hair growth. So, what are you waiting for? Include flax seeds in your diet and hair care routine today!
Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions
Can flax seeds straighten the hair?
No, flax seeds cannot straighten your hair. They can strengthen your hair, promote hair growth, prevent hair loss, and make your hair smooth and soft.
Can I leave flax seed gel overnight on the hair?
No, we do not recommend doing that. Not only will you catch a cold, but also flax seed gel can over-nourish your hair and weigh it down.
Can I use flax seed gel daily?
Yes, you can use flax seed gel daily.
What does flax seed gel do for curly hair?
Flax seed gel helps define the curls and make them bouncy and shiny.
- What Is Black Seed Oil? How To Use Black Seed Oil (Kalonji) For Hair Growth And Baldness
- 4 Benefits Of Hemp Seed Oil For Hair And How To Use It
- Grapeseed Oil: Benefits And Uses For Skin, Hair, And Health
- 7 Reasons To Use Sesame Oil For Your Hair
Latest posts by Charushila B (see all)
- CBD Oil – Why It Works For Acne, How To Use, Benefits, And Risks - March 31, 2021
- Can Smoking Weed Cause Acne Or Treat It? - March 23, 2021
- 10 Best Ayurvedic Remedies To Reduce Acne At Home - March 23, 2021
- Why Vitamin E Capsules Are Good For Your Skin - March 17, 2021
- Listerine Foot Soak – Recipes And Tutorial For Soft Feet - March 15, 2021