No one can escape from frizz, especially those who have dry hair. Luckily, it doesn’t take rocket science to tame dry, frizzy hair. From home remedies to frizz-control hair care products – there are multiple ways to get rid of frizz and maintain smooth and healthy locks. This article explores different aspects of frizzy hair – types of frizz, what causes them, and how to tame them. Keep reading!
Table Of Contents
What Is Frizzy Hair?
Your hair turns frizzy when the hair cuticles (dead, overlapping outer part) are raised, allowing moisture to pass through the strands and causing them to swell. Healthy hair has flat cuticles that make it smooth and shiny. Frizzy hair, on the other hand, appears dry, rough, unruly, and unmanageable.
While unmanageable frizz is a universal problem, not all frizz types are the same. Hence, determining your frizz type is crucial for taming them.
Types Of Frizzy Hair
1. Surface Frizz
Surface frizz occurs only on the outer layer of hair and appears like static hair.
2. Halo Frizz
This is common in curly hair. This type of frizz affects the hair on the crown or only the top part, creating a halo-like effect.
3. In-The-Curls Frizz
This type of frizz happens inside the curls throughout the hair length. It makes the hair look unkempt and without any curl definition.
4. Frizz At The Ends
In this type, the hair at the ends looks dry and straw-like. The ends lack natural oils and become fragile and prone to breakage and split ends.
5. Pouf Ball Frizz
Pouf ball frizz makes your hair look expanded, like a “pouf ball,” due to frizz underneath the hair.
There are a lot of factors responsible for making your hair frizzy. Let’s take a look.
What Causes Frizzy Hair?
- Weather: Weather conditions like humidity and cold temperatures can make your hair frizzy. During rainy seasons or in humid climates, the air’s moisture causes the cuticles to separate, causing the hair shafts to swell. In colder climates, the air contains less or no moisture and dries out the hair, causing frizz.
- Hair Type: Frizz is more common in certain hair types. Curly and wavy hair tends to get frizzier than straight hair. It is because the follicles in curly and wavy hair are flat, making it prone to frizz.
- Hair Condition: If you have dry, damaged, and over-processed hair, it will be frizzy. Dry and damaged hair lacks natural oils and is porous. Such hair tends to absorb moisture, leading to frizzy hair. Over-processed hair has damaged cuticles, causing moisture loss and frizzy hair.
You cannot change your hair type, but you can tame and get rid of frizzy hair with the right hair care products and treatment. Check out the next section for more information.
How To Get Rid Of Frizzy Hair?
Hair Care Treatments
- Keratin Treatment: Keratin is a protein that strengthens the hair. Keratin treatment is a chemical process that seals the hair cuticles to make them look glossy and frizz-free. It lasts for around six months, depending on your hair type and hair care routine.
- Hair Serum: A hair serum coats the hair strands and moisturizes them to keep dryness and frizz at bay. Serums contain concentrated ingredients that protect the hair from humidity and impart shine.
- Leave-In Conditioners: These products soften your hair by hydrating and moisturizing it. Leave-in conditioners have a no-rinse formula, and they protect the hair throughout the day.
- Hair Mask: Hair masks are mainly for nourishing and hydrating your hair. They deeply condition the strands and make them smooth and manageable. Hair masks contain nourishing oils and butters like cocoa and shea butter that keep the hair healthy and frizz-free. You can also prepare home-made hair masks with simple ingredients to manage frizz (discussed later in this article).
- Anti-Frizz Oils: You can buy anti-frizz oil from the market to manage frizz and improve manageability.
- Heat Protectants: Heat styling tools, such as curling irons and hair straighteners, can dry out the hair and make it frizzy. Use a heat protectant styling to prevent hair damage.
- Anti-Frizz Shampoos: Specially formulated anti-shampoos contain hydrating ingredients like glycerin and oils to prevent frizz without dryness.
- Detanglers: Use hair detanglers to seal the cuticles and prevent hair breakage and frizz.
- Dry Shampoo: Use dry shampoos to keep your hair and scalp fresh during washes and minimize frizz.
- Anti-Frizz Hair Sheets: Anti-frizz hair sheets come in handy while you are traveling. Wipe your hair with the sheets and go frizz-free.
Also, make it a habit to check the ingredients before buying a product. Avoid ingredients like sulfates and alcohol as they dry out the hair and worsen frizz.
Using anti-frizz products is not enough unless you follow healthy hair care practices. These are essential for maintaining healthy hair and prevent frizz.
Hair Care Practices To Prevent Frizzy Hair
- Get Regular Haircuts: Trim your hair every 2-4 weeks to get rid of dry, damaged, or split ends. Damaged hair ends can worsen the frizz and make the hair look dull and unkempt.
- Do Not Brush Damp Or Wet Hair: Damp hair is vulnerable to breakage. Combing damp hair stretches the strands and may change their texture. Use a detangler, boar bristle brush, a wide-toothed comb, or your fingers to brush your hair after a shower to prevent frizzy hair.
- Dry Your Hair The Right Way: Use a microfiber towel to dry your hair as it is gentle and reduces friction. Rubbing the hair vigorously with a towel will increase frizz and cause hair breakage.
Air dry your hair, and once it is 70-80% dry, use a hair dryer on a low-temperature setting. Invest in a good quality hair dryer as blow drying your hair smoothens the cuticles and eliminates frizz. Keep the hair dryer at least 6 inches away from the hair. Use a pop diffuser when curling your hair and flat iron with teeth for extra straightening power.
- Do Not Overwash Your Hair: Washing your hair often can strip its natural oils. This separates the cuticles leading to dryness and frizz.
- Use Silk Pillowcases: Silk pillowcases reduce the chances of friction and help manage frizz and hair breakage. You may also tie a silk scarf around your hair to protect it.
- Pro Tip: Use a wet toothbrush or mascara wand if you are in a rush and need to tame frizz.
You may also try some home remedies to keep your hair healthy and manage frizz. These help to replenish your hair and minimize damage.
Home Remedies For Managing Frizzy Hair
1. Avocado And Yogurt Hair Mask
This is a popular home remedy. Avocado and yogurt mask is said to soften the hair, keep it smooth, and prevent frizz.
You Will Need
- 1 ripe, medium-sized avocado
- 2-3 tablespoons of yogurt
- 2-4 tablespoons of coconut oil
- Mash the avocado and mix it with yogurt and coconut oil.
- Apply the mask to your scalp and hair thoroughly.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes. You can cover it with a shower cap to prevent mess.
- Rinse with warm or cold water and shampoo your hair.
- Use the mask once or twice a week.
2.Almond Oil And Egg
Oils have emollient properties and work well for the skin (1). However, almond oil is commonly used for moisturizing and smoothing the hair. As per anecdotal evidence, this mask softens the hair and keeps it frizz-free.
You will need
- 2 eggs
- 2-4 tablespoons of almond oil
- Whip up two eggs until they are frothy. Add the almond oil to this mixture.
- Apply the mixture thoroughly to your hair and scalp.
- Cover your hair with a plastic cap.
- Leave the mask on for 15 minutes.
- Shampoo thoroughly.
- Use the mask once a week.
3. Warm Coconut Oil Massage
Coconut oil helps reduce protein loss in damaged hair (2). It is a common household remedy for managing frizzy, dry, and damaged hair.
You Will Need
- 2-4 tablespoons of virgin coconut oil (adjust the quantity as per the hair length)
- Warm the organic coconut oil in a bowl.
- Apply it to the hair and scalp and gently massage it in.
- Leave it on for at least 30 minutes.
- Wash your hair with shampoo to remove the coconut oil.
- Use this treatment once a week.
4. Argan Oil Massage
You Will Need
- 1-2 tablespoons of Moroccan argan oil
- Apply the Moroccan argan oil to your hair. Make sure your hair and scalp are evenly coated. Massage.
- Use a comb or brush to help disperse it from the roots to the tips.
- You may wash it off after 30 minutes or leave it on overnight.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar Post-Wash Rinse
As per anecdotal evidence, apple cider vinegar rinse keeps the hair soft, smooth, and imparts shine. However, it may cause burning and irritation in the scalp. Hence, use small, diluted portions and do a patch test.
You Will Need
- 1/3 cup of organic apple cider vinegar
- 1 liter of warm water
- Dilute the organic apple cider vinegar in warm water.
- After shampooing, rinse your hair with this mixture.
- Leave the mixture on your hair for 4 minutes.
- Rinse with cool water.
- Air dry your hair.
- Use this treatment once or twice weekly.
Taking care of frizzy hair also involves using the right tools to comb or brush. Using the wrong tool and technique can irritate the scalp and hair and cause hair breakage. Here’s how you can brush and comb frizzy hair
How To Brush And Comb Frizzy Hair?
- You will need a wide-toothed comb or a boar-bristle brush.
- Apply a leave-in conditioner or hair serum before combing or brushing.
- Gently detangle your hair using the comb or brush. You may use both as a boar-bristle brush is great for adding shine.
- Start with detangling the ends and work your way up.
We also have a few product suggestions for maintaining frizzy hair. All these products help moisturize, nourish, and hydrate the hair and keep frizz at bay. Check them out.
What Are the Best Products For Frizzy Hair?
This anti-humidity spray prevents frizz and keeps the hair sleek and shiny. You can use it on damp and towel-dried hair.
This lightweight serum contains bamboo extracts to repair, nourish, and strengthen the hair. It manages frizz, adds shine, and is safe for color-treated hair.
This hair mask combo is meant for damage repairing, smoothing, and nourishing dry and frizzy hair. It can be used as a hair mask and post-wash hair conditioner. Leave it on for a minute and wash it off to see the difference.
If you want to check out more products, click here.
To Sum Up
Taking care of and grooming frizzy hair may seem a lot of hard work, but you have to understand that it is incredibly fragile and needs careful handling. From heat styling tools to harsh weather – anything can affect the exposed hair cortex (inner layer) and further damage your hair. The tips mentioned in this guide will help you care for your locks and keep them frizz-free and happy throughout the year.
- 15 Best Shampoos For Frizzy Hair Available In India
- 50 Ideas For Styling Frizzy Hair
- Tame Your Baby Hair – Simple Hacks To Try At Home
Latest posts by Annie Jangam (see all)
- How To Balance The pH Of Your Hair For A Healthy Look - January 12, 2021
- 7 Amazing Ways To Use Vaseline For Your Hair - January 11, 2021
- PCOS Hair Loss: Everything You Need To Know - January 8, 2021
- How To Make Coconut Oil Hairspray For Frizzy Hair At Home - January 4, 2021
- How To Get Rid Of Head Lice Using Olive Oil - December 30, 2020