Straight hair can be frizzy too! Without the right care straight hair is prone to signs of damage, including frizz. Also, frizzy hair can get unmanageable and difficult to style. But do not fret â there are a few ways you can combat frizzy straight hair. Keep reading to know why frizz affects straight hair and how you can minimize it!
In This Article
Why Does Straight Hair Get Frizzy
- Attrition: Attrition is when hair becomes weak and damaged. This happens due to constant styling, chemical usage, coloring, and excessive product use, causing hair to go frizzy (1).
- Using styling tools like curling irons, flat irons, crimping tools, and blow dryers can damage hair by heat.
- Wearing tight hairstyles that pull on hair may cause hair to stretch, thin out, and break.
- Excess use of serums, shampoos, and volumizers that contain chemicals can damage hair.
- Bleaches and color- or chemical-treatments can also cause frizz.
- Hair Structure: Changing your hair structure from straight to wavy or curly may cause frizz. Research shows that curly and wavy hair types have dry hair fibers, which become frizzy on combing (1). The use of curlers or chemicals to curly hair can add to the damage and friction when you are changing the hair style back to straight hair.
- Weather Conditions: Exposure to humidity can cause frizz (1).
- Dryness: Lack of hair moisture can increase the inter fiber friction, leading to frizz (1). This is more common in curly and wavy hair types than in straight hair. Over-shampooing, excess use of heating tools, and chlorine from swimming pools can leave hair stripped of hydration.
Now that you know the causes for frizzy straight hair, here is what you can do to reduce the frizz.
How To Minimize Frizz When Using Heat
- Applying a heat protectant keeps the heat from drying and damaging hair. This reduces the chances of frizz. Apply a heat protectant whenever you use curling irons, flat irons, blow dryers, or hot rollers.
- Blow dry your hair on a low or cool setting (keep the dryer 15 centimeters away from your hair) to prevent interfiber friction and minimize heat damage.
- Cover your hair with a scarf or thin cloth when going out in the sun.
- Use a blow dryer with a diffuser to distribute heat evenly. A diffuser also prevents concentrated gushes of heat and protects hair from damage.
- Use heating tools with ceramic coating and smoothing capabilities that protect hair.
Here is how you can reduce frizz on a daily basis.
Tips On How To Eliminate Frizz In Straight Hair
- Always use a conditioner after shampooing. Conditioners neutralize any negative charge in the hair fibers and reduce inter fiber friction. They keep hair from going frizzy.
- Use products that hydrate hair (2). One major cause of frizz is hair dryness. Hydrating masks, serums, creams, oils, natural ingredients like aloe vera, and other deep conditioning treatments can leave hair moisturized and frizz-free.
- Hair smoothing products reduce frizz, moisturize dry hair, repair damaged hair, and also soften hair.
- Avoid products that can dry your hair out or damage it. These include shampoos with an alkaline pH that disrupt natural hair pH and cause frizz.
- Do not shampoo more than twice a week. Over-shampooing can also cause frizz. You can instead use a co-wash or a conditioning cleanser to clean your hair.
- Use a hair mask. It usually contains ingredients that neutralize frizz and leave hair without any static or fly a ways. You can find hair smoothing and hydrating hair masks at your nearest beauty store.
- Wash hair with cold water after shampooing and conditioning. Cold water closes the cuticles that could have been opened while shampooing, thereby reducing frizz.
- Opt for haircuts with blunt endings or layers at the top. These leave your hair frizz-free and thicker at the ends.
- Brushing your hair down can reduce frizz. You can use a comb or a brush for this purpose. Apply a smoothing serum to your hair before brushing it down for better results.
- Use a pillow covered with a silk pillowcase while you sleep. The silk makes hair smoother and prevents frizz. You can also sleep with a thin cotton shirt or a silk scarf wrapped around your hair.
- Apply an anti-frizz serum before working out or heading out. Anti-frizz products keep hair frizz-free for a long time.
- Try keratin smoothing hair treatments that leave hair smooth and friction-free. Keratin strengthens hair and reduces any frizz or static. Visit a salon for a keratin smoothing treatment at least once or twice a month if your hair becomes frizzy often. Some salons even offer customized treatments specific to your hair type.
Hair frizz is a common issue for most women, and more so in those with straight hair. While many women have been embracing frizz as a hair style, one should know that frizz could be a sign of damaged and weakening hair. It may even make hair brittle and break if left untreated. Using these tips will not only eliminate frizz from your hair but also keep your hair healthier. Start following them today.
- 10 Natural Ways To Straighten Your Hair
- 16 Effective Ways To Get Smooth Hair
- How To Straighten Your Hair Naturally With Milk?
- 15 Best Shampoos For Frizzy Hair Available In India
- Mamaearth Aloe Vera Gel With Vitamin E
Articles on StyleCraze are backed by verified information from peer-reviewed and academic research papers, reputed organizations, research institutions, and medical associations to ensure accuracy and relevance. Read our editorial policy to learn more.
- Hair Cosmetics: An Overview
- Healthy Hair: What is It?