If you notice a whitish discharge, a fishy smell, and some irritation and discomfort down south, it is a clear indication that you have developed a vaginal yeast infection. It not only makes you physically uncomfortable but can also lead to social embarrassment. But what if I tell you that you can treat the condition with nothing but just a clove of garlic? Sounds unbelievable, right? Read on to find out how garlic can help treat a vaginal yeast infection.
Table Of Contents
Is Garlic Good For Vaginal Yeast Infection?
Garlic is one of nature’s most potent antibiotics and has been extensively studied for its exceptional medicinal properties. It owes most of its beneficial properties to a compound called allicin. Allicin not only imparts a characteristic aroma to foods but also has antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties (1), (2), (3). These antimicrobial properties of garlic make it very effective in the treatment of yeast infections.
Let us now see how exactly you should use garlic for treating an existing yeast infection.
How To Use Garlic To Treat A Yeast Infection
One of the most popular ways to use garlic to treat a yeast infection is as a vaginal suppository. Here’s the procedure:
You Will Need
- 1 clove of garlic
- A thread
What You Have To Do
- Take a clove of garlic and remove its skin.
- Cut the garlic in half and sew a thread through one half. This is to facilitate easy retrieval of the garlic from your vagina after use.
- Slip half of the garlic clove into your vagina gently before going to bed.
- Wait for it to come out naturally the next morning when you go to relieve yourself.
- If it doesn’t, gently tug at the thread you have inserted, but without scratching or hurting yourself.
- You can also simply chew on a few garlic cloves or add them to your daily diet to increase the effectiveness of your treatment.
How Often You Should Do This
You must do this for 1 or 2 nights.
Why This Works
As we have already seen, garlic can be of immense help in getting rid of a vaginal yeast infection. This is mainly due to the antimicrobial properties of allicin.
A study published in Iranian Journal of Nursing and Midwifery Research concluded that topical use of a garlic and thyme based vaginal cream was as effective as clotrimazole cream for treating vaginal yeast infection (4).
Although this remedy can be quite useful in helping you deal with a vaginal yeast infection, discontinue use and contact your doctor immediately if you develop any of the following side effects.
Are There Any Side Effects?
You might experience
• a burning sensation inside your vagina
• an itchy feel down there
• pain and/or other irritation
However, if this remedy worked effectively for you, here’s how long you should continue with the procedure.
How Long Does Garlic Take To Cure A Yeast Infection?
This remedy usually cures a vaginal yeast infection within one night. But, if you did not get the expected results, you can try it for one more night. Remember to consult your doctor before doing so.
Caution: If you are allergic to garlic, have a bleeding disorder, or are taking blood thinning medication or HIV/AIDS treatment, avoid this remedy.
Many women have found solace in using garlic for the treatment of vaginal yeast infections and have experience varying degrees of success. Try this amazing remedy and let us know how it worked for you by leaving a comment in the box below.
- 11 Effective Home Remedies For Yeast Infection
- 3 Simple Ways To Use Hydrogen Peroxide For Yeast Infection
- Clean & Dry Intimate Foam Wash Benefits
- 22 Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Vaginal Discharge Odor That Work
- Simple Tips To Maintain Healthy Vaginal Hygiene
- VWash Plus Intimate Hygiene Wash Review
Latest posts by Shaheen Naser (see all)
- 10 Best Salicylic Acid Shampoos - April 1, 2020
- The 8 Best Tan Towelettes Of 2020 - March 23, 2020
- V-Line Surgery – Everything You Need To Know - August 19, 2019
- Home Remedies For Managing Anal Fissures - July 26, 2019
- Arthritis In The Hands – Symptoms, Causes, And Treatment - July 25, 2019