Are you feeling stomach irritation or stomach pain? Are you experiencing indigestion or abdominal bloating often? Then, you need to consult a doctor immediately for the symptoms of gastritis (inflammation of stomach lining).
Generally, gastritis can be treated with lifestyle management and by following a proper gastritis diet. But, in certain scenarios, some forms of gastritis can lead to ulcers and even gastric cancer.
In this article, we will discuss the gastritis diet plan and foods to eat and avoid. We will also give you some recipes for dishes that can help in treating this condition. But before that, you need to know what gastritis is and its underlying causes. Start scrolling!
Table Of Contents
What Is Gastritis?
Gastritis refers to the inflammation of the stomach lining caused either by a Helicobacter pylori infection or by the excessive administration of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (medicine-induced gastritis). It can be either acute (sudden onset) or chronic (develops over time) in nature (1).
Following a healthy diet can help alleviate the symptoms of gastritis. Check out how it works below.
Gastritis Diet – How It Helps
The main aim of a gastritis diet is to control H.pylori infection and alleviate gastritis symptoms.
A gastritis diet should be:
- High in fiber: A high-fiber food is beneficial for your gut. The undigested portions of dietary fiber produce short-chain fatty acids that have a beneficial effect on gut bacteria (2).
- Enriched with healthy fats: Fatty foods are not the best choice for treating gastritis, but healthy fats definitely work wonders for it. Include nuts, seeds, and oily fish that are rich in omega-3 (polyunsaturated) fatty acids to reduce stomach inflammation (3).
- High in lean protein: Lean proteins may help repair the damaged stomach lining and build stamina.
- High in probiotics: Include foods and drinks rich in probiotics or live organisms. Studies have found that probiotics help eradicate H.pylori and reduce stomach inflammation (4).
- Rich in flavonoids: Include spices, herbs, and condiments in your diet. Flavonoid-rich foods exhibit antibacterial properties that can eradicate H.pylori (5).
Cutting down on highly acidic foods, processed foods, and dairy can help minimize acid secretion in the stomach and provide relief from the symptoms of gastritis.
Now, you are quite aware of what kind of foods to be included in the diet for relief from stomach irritation and discomfort. Here’s is a sample gastritis diet plan that gives an idea of what to include in your daily meals.
|MEALS||WHAT TO EAT|
|Early Morning||4 overnight-soaked almonds + 1 glass of water|
|Breakfast||Overnight oatmeal with chopped fruits, nuts, and seeds (1 cup) OR Toasted whole wheat bread (1 slice) + 1 sunny-side up egg + Any whole fruit (1)|
|Mid-Morning||Vegetable juice (with pulp) with 1 tablespoon soaked chia seeds (1 glass) OR Kombucha tea with roasted walnuts|
|Lunch||Blanched broccoli sauteed and tossed with garlic (1 cup) + ½ cup vegetable quinoa/brown rice + Grilled salmon with herbs + 1 glass buttermilk with roasted cumin (jeera) seeds OR Chicken burrito bowl + Yogurt|
|Snacks||Sweet potato mash OR Bean sprout salad (boiled)|
|Dinner||Asparagus soup + Grilled chicken with garlic-tossed vegetables OR Whole wheat vegetable pasta + Grilled turkey breast|
Here are lists of foods that you must eat and avoid when you are experiencing gastritis.
Foods To Eat
There are certain foods that reduce gastritis symptoms and provide relief to stomach irritation and bloating. These include:
- High-fiber whole foods like whole grains, beans, and legumes.
- Healthy fats from nuts, seeds, and fish oil rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
- Lean protein like chicken, poultry meat, and oily fish.
- Vegetable juice with pulp (choose vegetables that are low in acid like cucumber, potato, carrot, broccoli, asparagus, pumpkin, etc.)
- Probiotics or fermented foods like kombucha, yogurt, kimchi, kefir, sauerkraut.
- Low-sugar, low-acid fruits like blueberries, strawberries, and apples.
- Functional foods like ginger, garlic, turmeric.
Foods To Avoid
Foods that increase the acid levels in the stomach and cause more discomfort need to be avoided. These include:
- Acidic fruits (citrus family) and vegetables like onion
- Beverages like coffee and tea
- Carbonated energy drinks and sodas
- Fried foods that are rich in saturated and trans fats
- Dairy products like milk, cheese, ice-cream, etc.
- Spicy foods
- Sauces, spreads, and pickles
Now that you know what foods to eat and avoid if you have gastritis, here are a few quick recipes you can try that are not only delicious but also healthy.
Gastritis Diet Recipes
1. Chicken Barley Soup
- Cooked pearl barley – 80g
- Chicken breast pieces – 85g
- Chopped carrot – 50g
- Chopped broccoli – 44g
- Salt – 0.4g
How To Prepare
- Boil the chicken in a pot.
- Add the barley, carrot, and broccoli.
- Reduce the heat, and cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add salt.
2. Rice And Vegetable Khichdi
- Cooked rice – 75 g
- Soaked green beans – 13 g
- Raw peanuts – 15 g
- Chopped carrots – 50 g
- Chopped cauliflower – 50 g
- Salt – 0.5 g
How To Prepare
- Stir fry the green beans, peanut, carrots, and cauliflower in olive oil. Keep them aside.
- Add half a cup of water to the rice and bring it to a boil. Stir until the rice gets soft.
- Add the vegetables, peanuts, and salt.
- Cook until soft.
3. Banana And Yogurt Smoothie
- Organic yogurt – 100 g
- Bananas – 1-2
- Honey – 20 g
- Almonds – 3-5 (Optional)
How To Prepare
- Put all the ingredients in a blender. Add ice if needed.
- Blend and serve.
If you are experiencing any symptoms of gastritis, consult a doctor immediately. Untreated gastritis can lead to more medical complications.
Following a healthy lifestyle and healthy eating habits plays a major role in alleviating gastrointestinal symptoms. If you struggle with eat healthily, consult a registered dietitian to come up with a diet plan that works for you.
Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions
Can I eat salad when I have gastritis?
Yes, you can eat a salad when you have gastritis. Choose low-acid foods to make your salad. But, do not use any salad dressing.
Is curd good for gastritis problem?
Yes, curd contains probiotics that increase the good bacteria in your gut, which reduce inflammation.
Can I eat bread when I have gastritis?
White bread may increase the acid secretion in your stomach and aggravate the gastritis symptoms. Choose whole-wheat bread and limit the portions.
Can stress and anxiety cause gastritis?
Yes, stress and anxiety can increase acid secretion due to hormonal action. Reduce stress as much as possible to keep gastrointestinal issues at bay.
- “Gastritis: Overview.” InformedHealth.org [Internet]., U.S. National Library of Medicine, 28 June 2018, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK310265/.
- Makki, Kassem et al. “The Impact of Dietary Fiber on Gut Microbiota in Host Health and Disease.” Cell host & microbe vol. 23,6 (2018): 705-715. doi:10.1016/j.chom.2018.05.012
- Calder, Philip C. “n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, inflammation, and inflammatory diseases.” The American journal of clinical nutrition vol. 83,6 Suppl (2006): 1505S-1519S. doi:10.1093/ajcn/83.6.1505S
- Song, Han-Yi et al. “What Roles Do Probiotics Play in the Eradication of Helicobacter pylori? Current Knowledge and Ongoing Research.” Gastroenterology research and practice vol. 2018 9379480. 16 Oct. 2018, doi:10.1155/2018/9379480
- Xie, Yixi et al. “Antibacterial activities of flavonoids: structure-activity relationship and mechanism.” Current medicinal chemistry vol. 22,1 (2015): 132-49. doi:10.2174/0929867321666140916113443
Latest posts by Priyanka Sadhukhan (see all)
- 13 Dry Shampoos For Oily Hair – Top Picks For 2020 With A Buying Guide - May 21, 2020
- Heat Protectants For Fine Hair – 13 Top Picks For 2020 - May 20, 2020
- 13 Best Drugstore Hair Masks (2020) To Buy Online – With Buying Tips - May 19, 2020
- 15 Best Conditioners For Bleached Hair (2020) – A Complete Buying Guide - May 18, 2020
- Best Combs For Curly Hair – Our Top 12 Picks - May 15, 2020