It is a well-known fact that ghee or clarified butter is used for consumption, but did you know that it can also be an extremely useful ingredient for skin and hair care?
Ghee is known to hydrate all skin types. It contains essential fatty acids that induce hydration in the skin cells, thus moisturizing dry skin. Ghee is also considered as one of the best natural anti-aging solutions.
Along with skin care, ghee is a very useful ingredient in hair care regimens as well. It conditions dry, frizzy, and rough hair and makes it extremely soft and glossy. A combination of ghee and olive oil (or coconut oil), when applied to the scalp till the ends, can treat almost any problem related to hair.
Due to its nourishing and hydrating properties, Ayurveda recommends using ghee for skin care. But, unlike other ways, Ayurveda recommends a special and more effective way to use ghee on skin. Here’s how you can prepare it.
How To Use Ghee For Skin Care
The ghee remedy that we are going to share now is also called Shata dhauta ghrita in Ayurveda, where shata means 100, dhauta means thoroughly washed with water, and ghrita means ghee.
To prepare this remedy, all you need is 10 ounces of ghee and a sufficient amount of water.
1. Mix ghee thoroughly with an equal amount of water for around five minutes, and let the water out.
2. Now, again add some fresh water to the paste and mix it well.
3. Repeat this mixing and rinsing for as many times as possible.
As per Ayurveda, it is suggested to change the water and mix it again for around 100 times. But since it is not possible practically, you can repeat the procedure for around 20–30 minutes.
Now, when you’re done with the procedure, you will notice that the ghee will be much smoother now, and it will have a butter-like consistency. The color also changes to white, and if you touch it, the ghee will be a lot cooler.
- This special and simple-to-make ghee is helpful in treating several skin conditions. You can apply it on burns, scars, wounds, herpes wounds, acne scars, scars caused due to chicken pox, or if you’re suffering from any burning sensation on the skin to get instant relief.
- It also acts as a natural moisturizer. Hence, you can apply it to your face regularly, leave it on for 15 minutes, and then wash it off with cold water.
- Unexplained bleeding or spotting is often noticed in pregnant women. You can apply this processed ghee around the umbilicus to treat it.
- Even during Ayurvedic leech therapy, you can apply this ghee to the affected area to reduce the burning sensation and stop further bleeding after the treatment.
- Shata dhauta ghrita can also be used for treating herpes. While treating skin-related disorders such as herpes and erysipelas, if the symptoms are related to vata and pitta aggravation, they are treated by applying a mixture of the shata dhauta ghrita and a few bitter herbs over the skin lesions.
How Long Can You Store This?
Since this ghee contains some moisture, it is not advised to store it for a longer period. You can store it for a maximum of five to six months. Constant exposure to air can lead to a foul smell. Hence, it is best to store it in an airtight container.
So now that you know how to include ghee in your skin care regimen, what are you waiting for? Go ahead and prepare your own Shata dhauta ghrita.
Other Ways To Use Ghee For Bright And Glowing Skin
To brighten your skin naturally, ghee is the best available option. Here’s how you can use it:
1. Prepare a face mask by mixing besan with an equal amount of ghee and water.
2. Mix the paste well and apply it evenly on your face and neck.
3. Leave it on for 15 minutes and then rinse it off with cold water.
If applied regularly, you will notice that your dull and dry skin will soon become healthy and glowing.
Isn’t ghee a super-ingredient for all sorts of skin and hair-related issues? So are you ready to experience these wonderful benefits of ghee for skin?
We hope you liked the article. Share your views in the comments box below.
- 13 Simple Ways To Use Glycerin And Rose Water For Your Face And Skin
- 7 Skincare Ingredients That Are Toxic For Your Health. And Guess What? You are Living With Them!
- Top 5 Ayurvedic Ingredients To Get Fair Skin
- Patanjali Cow’s Ghee Reviews
Latest posts by Jyotsana Rao (see all)
- Should Women Shave Their Face? Here’s Why Some Beauty Experts Vote Yes - September 17, 2019
- 4 Amazing Beauty Benefits Of Tomatoes! It Treats Acne Too. - April 6, 2017
- It Empties Your Bowels And Makes You Lose A Lot Of Weight Too! - March 30, 2017
- Milk Wax – Never Heard Of This Before, But My Sister Is Using It Since Last Year And Now, Her Skin Is Just Like Milk - March 28, 2017
- She Begins Rubbing Turmeric Onto Her Cheeks. When She Rubs It Off, The Results Are Unbelievable! - March 21, 2017