Hair decisions are hard to make. Blonde or brunette? Short or long? Textured or smooth? With so many questions that need answering, getting a hair makeover can be so overwhelming, especially when you want to play it safe. However, there are some colors that perfectly complement a variety of skin tones and hair types because of their versatility. Light brown is one such color. Falling right in between the natural hair color spectrum, light brown is as close to pale blondes as it is to dark brunettes. This makes it the safest color to try when you start experimenting with your hair. To get you inspired, we’ve put together a list of 20 light brown hair color ideas that have stolen our hearts.
20 Light Brown Hair Color Ideas
- Natural Light Brown Hair Color
- Light Brown With A Subtle Balayage
- Light Golden Brown Hair Color
- Light Sable Brown Hair Color
- Light Chocolate Brown Hair Color
- Heavy Light Brown Highlights
- Soft Light Brown Balayage
- Dark To Light Brown Fade
- Light Sandy Brown Hair Color
- Dark Hair To Light Brown Balayage
- Heavy Light Brown Balayage
- Light Brown Babylights
- Light Ash Brown Hair Color
- Light Hazelnut Brown Hair
- Light Brown Balayage With Auburn Undertones
- Smooth Light Brown Bob
- Fall-Inspired Light Brown Hair Color
- Milk Chocolate Pixie
- Light Auburn Brown Hair
- Light Brown Highlights
1. Natural Light Brown Hair Color
If you have dark brown or black hair and want a softer natural color, this look is for you. The light brown textured locks appear to have an even color. The lower lengths of the hair seem slightly lighter than the rest of the hair, creating a subtle ombre that looks very natural.
2. Light Brown With A Subtle Balayage
If you want the perfect sun-kissed look, it is hard to do better than a light brown balayage. This style starts with a medium brown base that quickly fades to a beautiful light brown. The highlights on this balayage begin very close to the roots and create subtle texture in the style.
3. Light Golden Brown Hair Color
This warm-toned light brown style is so smooth. The dark roots melt into a gorgeous golden brown, which helps create depth in the style. The style also has sable undertones that make it perfect for women with all skin tones. The shoulder-grazing length of this style is perfect for those who want a low-maintenance hairdo that looks gorgeous at all times.
4. Light Sable Brown Hair Color
This hairstyle has been colored to perfection with the perfect amount of gloss. The light sable brown shade has cool undertones that have been highlighted with the glossy finish. There is a subtle fade from the darker roots, which helps create depth in the style, and the result is truly gorgeous.
5. Light Chocolate Brown Hair Color
The choppiness of this lob coupled with the light chocolate brown color is a sight to behold. The freshly colored locks are smooth and glossy with choppy ends that help add dimension to the style. The darker roots on the style create a natural look with a lot of depth.
6. Heavy Light Brown Highlights
This natural looking light brown is one of our favorites for fine hair. The medium brown base has been heavily highlighted in fine sections to help create texture and dimension. The result is a light brown that looks natural and voluminous. If you were looking for a style that could add volume to your fine, straight hair, this is it.
7. Soft Light Brown Balayage
This is another great style for women with fine, straight, and silky hair. The style looks so natural that it’s almost impossible to tell that it has been colored. The natural brown base fades to a beautiful light brown. The stylist has created a subtle balayage in this look by meticulously painting highlights onto a few sections to help add texture with the subtle contrast.
8. Dark To Light Brown Fade
This light brown balayage on dark brown hair is a look that will keep the heads turning. The customized highlights are heavier at the front than at the back, perfectly framing the face. The dark brown beautifully blends into a light, almost blonde color. The fine highlights at the back of this style create the perfect amount of contrast, adding texture and dimension to the style.
9. Light Sandy Brown Hair Color
If you are a natural brunette and have always wondered what you would look like as a blonde without having to take that extreme leap, this style is the perfect compromise. In fact, it looks so good, it wouldn’t be a compromise at all. The medium brown roots on this look are blended out to a gorgeous light sandy shade. The style is beautifully tied together with subtle cool undertones.
10. Dark Hair To Light Brown Balayage
Melting butterscotch. That was the first thing that came to mind when we laid eyes on this style. The brunette base has been highlighted and melted to a beautiful light brown. The highlights have been painted on in thin sections and start very close to the roots. As you progress to the lower lengths of the style, it fades to a butterscotch brown. This style is perfect for women with fine hair. It adds texture and dimension.
11. Heavy Light Brown Balayage
Getting an extreme color change means having to attend regular touch-ups to keep your hair looking natural. This look, however, has been styled with a heavy balayage, which gives you the desired lighter look without the maintenance that a solid color would take. The style will look just as natural growing out as it does freshly painted.
12. Light Brown Babylights
Babylights are a classic look that will never go out of style. Regardless of what color your hair is, a subtle babylights fade is one of the best ways to spruce it up. This light brown babylights look is a super low-maintenance style that is sure to add dimension to your hair. The brown roots fade out to a lighter brown, creating a natural looking melt.
13. Light Ash Brown Hair Color
Tones so cold are a rarity on light brown hair. However, this style does its name complete justice. The light brown locks have been toned to perfection to achieve the perfect ashy color. The stylist has also added lighter ash highlights to the look. The highlights have been placed in thin sections, making this style perfect for women with thin hair.
14. Light Hazelnut Brown Hair
We are so smitten! This adorable bob has the right amounts of warmth, volume, and depth! The dark brown base has been spruced up with a hazelnut balayage; and the highlights begin very close to the roots. The natural dark base creates a lowlights effect that adds depth and emphasizes on the volume of the style. The bob has a choppy finish, creating an adorably messy look that has stolen our hearts.
15. Light Brown Balayage With Auburn Undertones
This beautiful style incorporates a smooth fade from a dark brunette to a light brown. The brunette base creates a lowlights effect that helps add depth and an illusion of volume to the fine hair while the lighter ends attract all the attention. This style is ideal for fine-haired women who want to go lighter.
16. Smooth Light Brown Bob
This smooth light brown bob incorporates all things we love. From subtle contrast and fine highlights to a beautiful fade, it has the right amounts of it all. The style is dynamic yet simple. The medium brown base fades to a beautiful light brown, all while keeping it classy and natural. This style is perfect for women with fine, straight hair.
17. Fall-Inspired Light Brown Hair Color
Light brown is the perfect color when it comes to experimenting with fall looks. This style incorporates a light brown color with perfectly balanced warm and cool tones. While fall colors tend to fall on the warmer side of the spectrum, this one seems to have drawn inspiration from the cooler tones of fallen autumn leaves.
18. Milk Chocolate Pixie
We love all the colors on the chocolate brown spectrum, and this milk chocolate, in particular, has taken our breath away. The cropped pixie bob has an even-toned color that is soft and muted. The cut coupled with the color is nothing short of gorgeous perfection.
19. Light Auburn Brown Hair
The warm tones on this style are completely off the hook! The warm brown base fades to a magical light auburn brown. The stylist has painted on highlights very close to the roots, adding so much dimension to the look. The highlights are placed in thick sections, making this style perfect for women with thick hair.
20. Light Brown Highlights
If you love subtlety, this look is tailor made just for you. Medium brown base in this look has been highlighted to perfection with light brown in fine sections. The contrast helps add texture to the look, making this perfect for women with fine and straight hair.
Not only does light brown hair look extremely gorgeous, but the style is also super easy to achieve at home. Keep reading to find out how you can get the look at home!
DIY: How To Get Light Brown Hair At Home
With a few supplies and a little extra time on your hands, you can dye your hair to a beautiful light brown right in the comfort of your home. To get the look, follow the steps listed below.
You Will Need
- Light Brown Box Dye
(Ensure that you choose a box dye that mentions what base it works for e.g. “Light Brown For Blonde” Or “Light Brown For Dark Hair.” If the box doesn’t mention what base it is meant for, check the color chart to determine whether it will work on your natural hair color.)
- Applicator Brush
- An Old Shirt
- Hair Brush
- Before you start, read the instructions on the box dye. If you are going lighter from dark hair, ensure that your hair has not been washed in a couple of days. This will help the coloring process. For light hair, you can work with hair that has been freshly washed.
- Brush your hair out to get rid of any knots or tangles.
- Apply vaseline all along your forehead, ears, and neck. This will help prevent staining.
- Put on your gloves and an old shirt that you won’t mind getting stains on.
- Divide your hair into four or more equal and manageable sections to ensure even application.
- Following the instructions on the box, mix your color and developer.
- Using an applicator brush, start applying the color onto your hair, one section at a time. Ensure that all the strands are coated so that you do not end up with patchy hair.
- Once you are done with all the sections, leave the dye on for the amount of time specified on the box.
- Wash and condition your hair.
Feeling inspired yet? Light brown is one of the best hair colors to work with whether it is a subtle balayage you want or a complete hair transformation. The color can do wonders for your look and up your style quotient to a whole another level. We hope you love this list of light brown hair color ideas as much as we do. We can’t wait to hear about what you have in store for your hair! Tell us about your hair color plans in the comments section below.
Latest posts by Meenal Rajapet (see all)
- 10 Best Ear And Nose Hair Trimmers – 2020 - January 30, 2018
- 15 Best Hair Dryers to Buy In 2020 – Top Rated Hair Dryer Reviews - January 23, 2018
- BBLUNT Salon Secret High Shine Crème Hair Colour Review - December 19, 2017
- Melblok Review – The Wonder Pigmentation Cream For Bright, Clear Skin! - December 6, 2017
- 20 Amazing Dark Ombre Hair Color Ideas - November 17, 2017