Using oils to restore scalp health and boost hair growth is an age-old practice that is gaining renewed interest today. Grapeseed oil is a fatty substance extracted from grape seeds. It is loaded with vitamin E and other antioxidants and is a popular choice in hair care.
The oil is known for its moisturizing properties. It is rich in nutrients vital for improving scalp and hair health. It can be incorporated into your regular hair care regime in several ways.
Grapeseed oil can help nourish your hair roots, moisturize your scalp, and condition your hair. Here, we have discussed grapeseed oil for hair care and how to use it effectively.
Table Of Contents
Why Should You Use Grapeseed Oil For Hair Care?
For a long time, grapeseed oil was only considered a byproduct of the wine industry. However, the oil is fast gaining prominence as a beauty and hair care product. Here is how the oil can benefit your hair.
1. May Help Fight Dandruff
Grapeseed oil is an excellent moisturizer and has anti-inflammatory properties (1). It may help control dandruff caused by a dry, flaky scalp. It moisturizes your scalp and hair and works well as a massage oil too. It is light and odorless and could be a better alternative to olive or coconut oils. Massage your scalp with warm grapeseed oil by rubbing it in a gentle, circular motion.
2. May Be Effective As A Deep Conditioner
The nutrient-rich grapeseed oil soothes the scalp and makes your hair soft and silky. It can be used as a conditioner. Apply a generous amount of the oil to your hair and leave it on for 30 minutes before shampooing.
3. May Promote Hair Growth
Using grapeseed oil for hair regularly may promote hair growth. In a Japanese study, grapeseed oil had shown to promote hair growth in mice (2). However, there is limited evidence to show the oil’s effectiveness in humans. For best results, you can mix grapeseed oil with jojoba, eucalyptus, or peppermint oils and regularly apply it to your scalp.
4. May Strengthen Hair Roots
Massaging your scalp with warm grapeseed oil can help promote blood circulation. A gentle scalp massage in a circular motion may stimulate hair follicles and boost hair growth. However, more research is warranted in this regard. If you struggle with thinning hair, make oil massages with grapeseed oil an essential part of your hair care regime.
5. May Help Tame Frizz
Grapeseed oil is lighter than other popular beauty oils like that of olive or coconut. It can ideally be applied to the hair between showers. It helps seal hair moisture and tames frizzy hair. Grapeseed oil also helps prevent split ends and brittle hair.
6. Is Suitable For All Hair Types
Grapeseed oil suits all hair types, including curly, wavy, straight, long, or short hair. It is rich enough to nourish and tame thick and curly hair and gentle and light enough for fine and thinning hair.
7. May Help Fight Cellular Damage
Grapeseed oil is rich in fatty acids and vitamins (3). It contains carotenoids and linoleic acid that have antioxidant and anti-proliferative properties (1). They may help in hair cell regeneration. They also may repair damaged cells in the scalp.
This oil is light, odorless, and versatile and can be easily incorporated into your hair care routine. The following section states how to use grapeseed oil for your hair.
Four Effective Ways To Use Grapeseed Oil For Hair Care
1. As A Light Moisturizer
If you have dry or brittle hair, you can use grapeseed oil as a light moisturizer to make your hair smooth and supple.
- Take a few drops of the oil between your palms and rub together.
- Gently apply to the length of your hair.
- Comb through to distribute.
2. As A Hot Oil Treatment
This grapeseed oil massage boosts scalp health and makes your hair smooth and shiny.
- Gently heat two to three tablespoons of grapeseed oil and add three to four drops of lavender or rosemary essential oils.
- Apply this warm oil blend to your scalp with your fingertips and massage in circular motions.
- Run a wide-toothed comb through the length of your hair to thoroughly distribute the oil.
- Wrap your head in a warm towel for 30 minutes and wash with a gentle shampoo.
3. As A Spray For Frizz Control
You can make a grapeseed oil spray for your hair if you are looking for a natural remedy to combat frizzy and dry locks.
- Add one cup of filtered/distilled water, one to two tablespoons of grapeseed oil, and a few drops of lavender essential oil to a spray bottle.
- Shake well and spray liberally to your frizzy hair to soften it instantly.
4. As A DIY Hair Mask
A hectic, modern lifestyle can take a toll on your hair health and make your hair look dull and lifeless. Hair masks with nourishing ingredients like grapeseed oil can help restore hair health.
- Mash one over-ripe banana and mix with a tablespoon of grapeseed oil.
- Slather this mixture all over your scalp and hair.
- Leave the mask on for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Rinse the hair mask off with warm water and a mild shampoo.
5. Blend With Other Oils
The lightweight and odorless grapeseed oil makes for an excellent carrier oil. It can be used with essential oils in hair spas and aromatherapy treatments. It is also easily absorbed by the scalp and works as an ideal base for hair massage oils.
Here are a few grapeseed oil blends to add to your hair care routine:
- Grapeseed Oil And Almond Oil
Both grapeseed and almond oils are rich in vitamins and are known for their moisturizing qualities (1). A blend with equal parts of grapeseed and almond oil can work as an excellent base for a hair massage oil.
- Grapeseed Oil And Olive Oil
Grapeseed and olive oils are loaded with phenolic compounds and vitamin E (1). These plant oils also rich in monounsaturated oleic acid that allows them to penetrate the hair shaft deeply (1). A blend of these two oils can benefit those with high porosity hair.
- Grapeseed Oil And Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree essential oil is used for its antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory properties (4). Add eight to ten drops of tea tree essential oil to 50 ml grapeseed oil to make an anti-dandruff oil blend.
- Grapeseed Oil And Lavender Essential Oil
Grapeseed oil helps with deep overnight conditioning while the lavender essential oil is known for its calming properties and a soothing fragrance. Mix eight to ten drops of lavender essential oil with 50 ml of grapeseed oil.
While there are many ways to use grapeseed oil for hair growth and better scalp health, you need the right variety to reap the benefits. The following section discusses how you can buy the best grapeseed oil on the market.
How To Buy The Best Grapeseed Oil For Hair
It is important to note that not all varieties of grapeseed oils are equally beneficial. While refined grapeseed oil is cheaper and has a longer shelf-life, harsh processes can remove the vitamin E and other nutrients from the oil.
Hence, ensure to choose pure and natural cold-pressed oil for the best results. Organic, hexane-free grapeseed oil free from parabens, chemicals, and artificial colors is ideal. While there are many grapeseed oil brands on the market, not all are made equal. Do your research before making a purchase.
Grapeseed oil is a lightweight and odorless oil rich in vital nutrients and antioxidants. It could double as an effective hair care product. Be sure to choose pure, organic, and cold-pressed grapeseed oil to get the maximum benefits. The oil is versatile and can be incorporated into your daily beauty regime in numerous ways. Pick your bottle today!
Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions
Is grapeseed oil safe for everyone?
Grapeseed oil is safe to use and has no known side effects. However, those who are allergic to grapes should avoid it.
Is grapeseed oil good for high porosity hair?
Grapeseed oil, with its high content of polyunsaturated fatty acids, is good for nourishing high porosity hair.
Can you use grapeseed oil for baby hair?
Yes, massaging with grapeseed oil is a mild yet effective way to care for your baby’s delicate hair.
Is grapeseed oil good for curly hair?
Since it is lightweight, grapeseed oil is a good option for taming unruly curly hair. You can transform the hair into soft, manageable curls.
Can you use grapeseed cooking oil for hair?
Organic, pure, cold-pressed grapeseed oil works best for both cooking and beauty care.
How suitable is grapeseed oil for natural black hair?
Grapeseed oil is quite suitable for conditioning and softening natural black hair as it contains vitamin E and antioxidants.
Where To Buy Grapeseed Oil For Hair?
Grapeseed oil is generally available in medical stores, the local supermarket, and online stores.
Can you leave grapeseed oil in your hair overnight?
Yes, you can leave grapeseed oil in your hair overnight. It works as a deep-conditioning treatment.
Should I refrigerate grapeseed oil?
No, grapeseed oil will stay fresh without refrigeration. Store it in an air-tight container in a cool, dark place.
How long does grapeseed oil take to work?
You may see immediate results if you are using grapeseed oil to tame frizz or condition your unruly hair. However, the results for dandruff treatment or improved hair growth can take a few weeks to show.
- Anti-Inflammatory and Skin Barrier Repair Effects of Topical Application of Some Plant Oils.
- Procyanidin oligomers selectively and intensively promote proliferation of mouse hair epithelial cells in vitro and activate hair follicle growth in vivo.
- Grape Seed Oil Compounds: Biological and Chemical Actions for Health.
- Melaleuca alternifolia (Tea Tree) Oil: a Review of Antimicrobial and Other Medicinal Properties.
- 8 Best Oils For Low Porosity Hair You Should Try Right Away!
- How To Apply Oil On Hair: A Step-By-Step Guide
- 10 Best Avocado Oils For Hair Growth In 2020
- How To Use Hair Oils To Cure Dandruff?
- Satthwa Premium Hair Oil Uses And Ingredients
Latest posts by Ravi Teja Tadimalla (see all)
- Medications That Cause Hair Loss - January 6, 2021
- Traction Alopecia – What You Need To Know - December 30, 2020
- 9 Best Hair Oils Of 2021 For Dry And Damaged Hair - December 16, 2020
- 11 Best Hair Dryers Of 2021 For Frizzy Hair - December 16, 2020
- 15 Best Non-Slip Neoprene Dumbbells With Reviews - December 15, 2020