As crucial as hair colors and dyes are for your overall makeover, hair dye brushes also play an equally important role. To get the best results from your hair color, you will also need the best hair dye brush. With a range of hair coloring styles and techniques available at your disposal, the right hair dye brush will be the critical difference between an amateurish and professional hair color job. However, with hundreds and thousands of brands being available in the market and some being your personal favorite, objectively choosing the best hair dye brush can be challenging. To make things a bit easier and save you the trouble of research, we’ve come up with a list of 11 top hair dye brushes for you to choose from.
In This Article
9 Best Hair Dye Brushes To Reach Deep Roots & Make Your Job Easy
The ATB 3-piece hair dye set is all that you need to color your hair at home. The set includes 1 brush, 1 mixing bowl, and a brush cum comb, so you don’t have to invest in a bowl or a comb to dye your hair. This hair dye brush set includes salon-quality brushes designed with precision application and even distribution in mind, ensuring no-bleed, and no-mess experiences. The bristles of the brush are 0.98 inches, and the total length of the brush cum comb is 7.87 inches. The mixing bowl has 4 scales ranging from 50 ml, 80 ml, 100 ml, to 200 ml so that you can mix as much color as you might need based on the length of your hair. The brushes are lightweight, easy to use, and easy to wash, making them an excellent choice for a seamless hair coloring experience.
- Comb included
- Sturdy bristles for easy application
- Small brush for coloring around the corners
- Easy to rinse
- Some may find the bristles of the brush slightly hard.
This set is versatile and has several uses besides applying hair dye. It can be used as a clay mask applicator as well as for mixing facial masks.
The Framar hair coloring brush is a lightweight, ergonomic brush that can be used for applying all kinds of hair colors and dyes. Whether you plan to go balayage or need to apply bleach, this brush does it all. The handle of the brush is made from high quality plastic, while the bristles are made of synthetic nylon. The bristles are attached firmly to the brush to ensure that they don’t shed when pressed against the scalp. The brush comes at a budget price and features tapered edges, which makes applying color behind the ears a cinch. These hair coloring tools ensure professional results with their easy-to-use, no-drip design and blendable, multifunctional qualities. Whether you use this brush to color your hair at home or for your clients at the salon, you can’t go wrong with it. Check out this video for a detailed review of the product.
- Soft bristles
- Tapered edge for high precision
- Works for balayage and foil application
- Ergonomic handle
- Some may find the handle slightly flimsy.
This hair color applicator brush set includes 3 translucent brushes in pink, purple, and blue. All 3 brushes have slender, ergonomically-designed handles. They’re ideal for applying dye as well as hair mask application. The bristles are made from high-quality synthetic fiber that helps in even application. If you need to part your hair while coloring them, you can count on the brush’s tapered end for the job. The easy grip handle makes these salon-standard brushes convenient and reliable for achieving your desired hair color with no-bristle mishaps and wide coverage. Overall, the brush has everything you need for an effortless hair dyeing experience.
- 2-inch wide
- Comes in 3 colors
- The pointed end helps in parting the hair
- Some bristles may fall out after extended periods of use.
The Diane hair tinting brush is among the professional-grade ones that are ideal for salon use. This brush gently caresses your hair to color all sections of the hair evenly. If you’re looking for a larger brush for full-coverage, this hair dye brush won’t let you down. While the brush has somewhat stiff bristles, they help dye every strand of hair, and the brush offers a firm hold even when you’re wearing safety gloves, allowing you to effortlessly achieve feathering techniques and ombre effects.
- Offers quick coverage
- Pointed end for sectioning
- The handle features circular depressions for a firm hold
- The bristles may not be as flexible as expected.
The bristles are a bit stiff, so this might not be the ideal brush for people with thin scalps, as it might cause cuts and bruises.
This cute and peppy set of 3 Colortrak brushes lets you dye your hair in style. You’ll find 3 brushes, one in pink, blue, and purple each with matching bristles. The body of the applicator brushes has glitter sprinkles all over, making coloring hair all the more fun. The bristles are soft and easy to clean, and the brushes are 11 inches long. You can use them for highlights or to color all of your hair.
- Wide brushes
- Soft bristles
- Suitable for bleaching
- Available in 3 vibrant colors
- Some may find the handle too long.
These professional hair color brushes are must-haves if you work at a salon or dye your hair frequently. The set offers 5 dyeing brushes with soft yet firmly held nylon bristles and a good-quality plastic handle. Since the bristles are made from nylon, the hair does not get stuck on the brush. The brush also catches a fair amount of dye, which makes coloring larger sections relatively effortless.
- High-quality nylon bristles
- Tapered end for sectioning
- Sturdy handle
- Reasonably priced
- The white bristles may stain eventually.
These reasonably-priced hair color brushes come in a pack of 12 and are what every hair-coloring expert would look for. Measuring at 8.7x 1.9 inches, the brush helps in even and precise color application minus the mess. The bristles are made from nylon and hold up the dye well to save you the time and hassle of dipping it in the mixing bowl every other second. Once you’re done coloring your hair, all you have to do is rinse the brush in warm water to get rid of the residual dye.
- Soft bristles
- Suitable for bleaching
- Some may find the bristles too short.
This set of 3 wide hair dye applicators from Salon Supply covers larger areas and root touch-ups. If you’re using multiple colors, you can conveniently use these 3 brushes without having to wash the same brush over and over again to dip into a different color. The bristles allow you to color areas that are hard to reach. Moreover, the bristles are optimally soft and are suitable for hair treatments, keratin application, bleaching, and foil application.
- Extra-wide brushes
- Feathered bristles for precision
- Long handles for optimal control
- Tapered tail for sectioning
- May not be suitable for thick hair
This color brush for hair features a super sleek handle and firmly held bristles, making it easy to maneuver it for different coloring techniques. The bristles are made from premium materials and help in stirring and mixing the color well. It allows quick root touch-ups with great precision. Whether you plan to color your hair at home or use it at your hair salon, it can be a great addition to your hair dyeing kit.
- Lightweight and sleek
- Ergonomic handle
- Ideal for highlighting
- May not be wide enough
Choosing the right hair dye brush can make your hair dye job easier. It helps you to apply the dye evenly on your strands without clumping. Additionally, they are easy to maneuver. Since there are many different types of brushes in the market, picking one is a task. Therefore, we have curated specific pointers to keep in mind while buying one best suited for your hair and color.
Things To Look for In A Hair Dye Brush
- Handle: Pick a brush with a non-slip handle. The circumference of the handle should fit comfortably in your hand to achieve an adept grip. Some brushes have rubberized grips which make them easier to hold, while others are made with wooden handles that feel softer on your hands. Choose one based on your preference. Additionally, pick a brush with a pointed end to conveniently section your tresses.
- Bristles: Choose brushes with soft but sturdy synthetic bristles, as they deliver high color distribution and prevent frizziness. They spread the color evenly on your hair strands without much effort.
- Construction: Look for a brush that has a comfortable structure. Avoid cheap brushes with plastic or metal handles that can feel uncomfortable when used for long periods. Instead, pick high-quality brushes with silicone or rubber tips that enhance grip and are durable.
- Brush size: Pick a brush large enough to cover your entire hair but not so large that it becomes difficult to maneuver. A good rule of thumb is to choose a brush about the same width as your palm.
- Easy Maintenance: Choose brushes that are easy to clean with shampoo and warm water. Pick brushes that dry up quickly. Look for a bristle-protection cap as it can help the bristles last longer.
Your journey of coloring your hair the right way doesn’t end at buying an ideal hair color brush applicator. It extends to knowing how you can color your hair at home. Here’s a quick tutorial to help you dye your hair at home without going wrong.
How To Dye Your Hair With A Brush At Home?
- Step 1- Pick the color of your choice.
- Step 2- Test it on a small patch of hair to ensure you aren’t allergic to it and to see if the result is close to what you imagined. Typically, it is best to do a patch test and wait for 48 hours before coloring your hair.
- Step 3- Keep all the supplies ready, from a good-quality hair dye brush to a mixing bowl, a hair comb for parting, and bleach (if needed).
- Step 4- Prep your skin by applying a cream so that you don’t stain the skin around your hairline. Comb your hair and ensure that it is detangled.
- Step 5- Create sections and start coloring. If you’re highlighting a few sections, it is recommended to use foils and run your brush with precision.
- Step 6- Give it a final finish at your hairline and corners around your ears.
- Step 7- Wash off after 15 to 30 minutes. You can also check for instructions on the box of the hair dye you use. If your forehead is stained with color, you can use a cotton ball soaked in astringent to remove the stains.
Infographic: How To Color Your Hair Like A Pro With A Hair Dye Brush
If you’ve ever marveled at those flawless hair color transformations, you know it’s more than just a stroke of luck. The key to achieving such stunning results lies in using the brushes the right way. In the infographic below, we have listed five essential tips for using a hair dye brush like an expert. Check it out!
You can style your hair with the help of hair dye brushes! if you want to make your hair color look fabulous, it is better to choose hair dye brushes that are helpful for beginners. The ATB 3 Piece Hair Dye Set is a versatile option that helps achieve different things, while the Framar Hair Color Brush is a good option to get ultimate precision while hair coloring. But if you are looking for a product that helps you get a quick and even application, try the Soft ‘N Style 3-Piece Translucent Dye Brush Set. These brushes can enable you to color your hair as you want to! Moreover, the brushes that have been listed are super lightweight, easy to use, and come with sturdy bristles that are good for easy application. While choosing the right brush, you should also keep the length and breadth of your tresses in mind! If your hair is too voluminous and thick, it is recommended to go for brushes that have thicker bristles. Also, no matter the length of your hair, everyone should avoid brushes that come with flimsy handles.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use a paint brush to dye my hair?
It is recommended not to use a paint brush for the hair because the bristles of a paint brush are crafted for hard surfaces like walls. Our hair and scalp require firm yet flexible and soft bristles that help in even color application.
What is the best hair color for home use?
You can pick any hair color from any brand you are comfortable trying off the shelf. Most, if not all, are user friendly and come with instructions.
Should you comb through hair after applying hair dye?
You can comb your hair after applying the hair dye. Doing so after applying the color helps ensure that the color gets distributed evenly. However, it is only recommended when you’re coloring all your hair.
Is it safe to color my hair at home?
Yes, it is safe to color your hair at home as long as you read the instructions on the hair dye pack carefully and take all the required precautions.
Do you need a tint brush to dye hair?
While many people use their hands to color the hair, tint brushes help in even application and color hard-to-reach places. Also, if you want to highlight a few strands, it is best to use a hair dye brush.
Why Trust StyleCraze?
“Medha Deb, the author of this article, is a hair care enthusiast who knows what your hair needs. Her recommendations are primarily based on a thorough evaluation of the products and an analysis of user reviews. Sneha believes you need to choose the right hair dye brush to get the best results from your hair color. Whether you plan to color your hair at home or use it at your salon, the top brushes she has chosen can be a great addition to your hair dyeing kit.”