You know what a nuisance scalp dandruff can feel like! The embarrassment of fallen flakes on your shoulders and the persistent urge to scratch your scalp can make things worse. Dandruff is a common hair problem that affects most at some point in time. While the market has many products that claim to treat dandruff, not all are effective. But have you ever considered hair oils for dandruff? Here, we discuss the best hair oils that could help solve your dandruff woes. Keep reading.
Table Of Contents
What Causes Dandruff?
Dandruff is more common in winters when the air gets drier. Identifying the causes of dandruff is essential to administer the right treatment. The common causes of dandruff include (1):
- Scalp irritation and excess secretion of scalp oils (the condition is also called seborrheic dermatitis) can lead to dandruff.
- Infrequent scalp cleansing leads to the accumulation of dead skin cells, causing flakes and itching.
- Excessive growth of skin cells can lead to the formation of Malassezia, a type of yeast that aggravates scalp irritation.
- Certain hair care products that contain chemicals may worsen scalp dermatitis.
Whatever the cause of scalp dandruff is, you may most often treat it with the best hair oils for dandruff. Check the following section.
6 Best Hair Oils For Dandruff Treatment
Individuals who want to avoid chemical-based hair products are more likely to go for herbal hair oils. Using hot oil treatments for dandruff could also be a good idea as they smoothen the hair strands, reduce hair fall, and improve hair growth (2)
Let us take a look at some of the best oils for dandruff.
1. Coconut Oil
2. Rosemary Oil
You can use rosemary oil for dandruff since it possesses specific antimicrobial and antiseptic properties. It also works as an anti-fungal agent (4). Some believe it also may help reduce scalp itching.
3. Basil Oil
Basil oil is extracted by steam distillation. Its dense proportion of important chemicals may reduce dandruff and help treat hair loss. It also may help treat an itchy scalp. However, more research is warranted in this regard.
4. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has anti-fungal and antibacterial properties and may help relieve dandruff and the associated scalp irritation (5).
5. Lemongrass Oil
In a study, an anti-dandruff hair tonic containing lemongrass oil was found to relieve dandruff symptoms (6). More research on the anti-dandruff properties of lemongrass oil is warranted.
6. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil has strong antimicrobial properties and may help treat dandruff (5)
These are the herbal oils known to help treat dandruff. In the following section, we discuss how you can use these oils.
How To Apply Anti-Dandruff Hair Oil?
Using anti-dandruff hair oils is simple. Massage a few drops of the oil into your scalp with your fingers. You can either leave the oil on your hair overnight or for up to 1to 2 hours before washing it off.
Remember to keep the oil minimal. There is no reason to add more oil to your hair than what is necessary. You also need to keep a few things in mind after applying the oil.
What Should You Do After Applying An Anti-Dandruff Hair Oil?
Once you have applied your favorite hair oil, you must take care to prevent further damage.
- Do not pull your hair for combing (either with a brush or your fingers). Hair subjected to a hot oil treatment can be weak. Tugging or pulling at it may cause it to break and fall.
- Avoid pulling your hair into a tight hairstyle. Say no to tight ponytails or tight braids. If you need to pull your hair up, consider using a friendly clip to tie it into a bun.
- Oiling your hair is a treatment that is enough in itself. You do not have to add an additional powdered hair mask or a creamy hair conditioner. Multiple treatments can weigh your hair down. Hence, just focus on one.
- Do not wash your hair immediately after oiling. Give the oil some time to seep down your hair shafts and penetrate your scalp pores. You can allow the hair oil to sit on your scalp for about 1 to 2 hours.
Now that you know the best ways to apply hair oil to control dandruff, let us understand the critical factors to be considered before you make a purchase.
What To Check Before Buying Anti-Dandruff Oils
Avoid splurging on just about any option. It is necessary to choose a hair oil suitable for your needs. Here are some points to consider before picking an anti-dandruff oil for your hair:
- Always pick hair oils suiting your hair type. Choose an appropriate carrier oil to mix with the essential oils. You can even consult with a dermatologist to see which would work best for you.
- Choose products that contain natural ingredients.
- You can choose essential oils either prepared by the distillation or the cold-pressed processes as they show great results 7>)
- Choose an essential oil without fragrances whenever possible. Fragrances may cause irritation to some individuals.
Keeping these pointers in mind can help you pick the best oil suitable to treat your dandruff. However, there could be some instances that warrant a doctor’s visit.
When To See A Doctor?
The hair oils mentioned in this post could work in most cases. But should you see no results despite using them for a few weeks, you may have to visit your doctor. You also must visit your doctor if you experience any of the following symptoms:
- Your scalp is turning red or inflamed. Your dandruff could be aggravating for some reason and may warrant a chemical treatment.
- You are losing too much hair for no apparent reason (other than dandruff).
- You notice dandruff flakes falling over your shoulders and clothes.
The causes of dandruff are many and indicate a strong need to take care of your hair. While there are many over-the-counter lotions and shampoos available to treat dandruff, you may prefer natural remedies such as the oils mentioned in this post. Ensure you use them regularly to see the results. But if the issue does not resolve, seek a doctor’s help.
Expert’s Answers for Readers Questions
Is dandruff contagious?
No, dandruff is usually not contagious. However, it can manifest in different people for different reasons.
- 9 Best Anti-Dandruff Hair Oils Of 2020
- The Truth About Anti-Dandruff Hair Oils
- How To Use Castor Oil For Treating Dandruff
Latest posts by Ravi Teja Tadimalla (see all)
- Moringa For Skin The New Superhero Of The Skin Care Industry - April 14, 2021
- 10 Research-Backed Benefits Of Coconut Water For Your Health And Skin - April 8, 2021
- 21 Best Benefits Of Eating Watermelon For Skin, Hair, And Health - April 8, 2021
- Eczema: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, And More - April 7, 2021
- All You Need To Know About Azelaic Acid For Skin - April 7, 2021