Are you struggling with wild and unruly hair? Are you looking for ways to control and define your stubborn curls? Well, it comes as no surprise that curls require undivided attention at all times. You need to nurture and care for them to achieve angelic curls like Beyonce and Shakira. But, hey! It’s not rocket science.
Ever heard of hair plopping? It is one of the coolest methods to define your curls with zero fuss and minimal investment. Read on to know more about the curly hair plopping method.
What Is Hair Plopping?
Hair plopping is a heat-free hair drying technique for curly-haired folks. In this method, you apply a leave-in conditioner or hair serum to wet hair. Then, you wrap your locks in a T-shirt or a towel. You leave them wrapped for 20 minutes. This method helps you get defined curls that are bouncy and beautiful to look at. It also helps preserve your curls and prevents frizz.
There are many more benefits of hair plopping that are discussed in the next section.
How Does Hair Plopping Help?
The best thing about hair plopping is it that it enhances the curl definition and produces bouncy curls. Since your hair is tightly wrapped into a cloth, it prevents static that makes your hair frizzy. It helps to dry your curls quicker than ever, significantly cutting down your drying time. You get soft, luscious curls instead of frizzy, greasy ones. Hair plopping involves tying your hair on top of your head. This helps in adding volume to your locks. All in all, this process can transform your curls and deliver gorgeous-looking hair instantly.
I’m sure you’re eager to know how to plop your hair now! Scroll down to the next section to know how.
How To Plop Your Hair – Step-By-Step Tutorial
1. Apply Leave-In Conditioner
Hair plopping requires damp hair for better results. So, try this method right after you take a shower. Apply some leave-in conditioner to moisturize your locks. You can even opt for a curl cream. Give your roots a little jiggle to keep the volume going.
2. Grab A T-shirt Or A Towel
Scan through your room and grab an old T-shirt or a microfiber towel. Any rectangular pillow cover or a long-sleeved T-shirt will do. Choose a soft fabric for this process as it does not create frizz.
3. Gather Your Hair Into The Cloth
Lay the T-shirt/towel on a flat surface, like a chair or a bed. If you are using a T-shirt, make sure the sleeves are towards you. Flip your hair forward and place it in the center of the cloth.
4. Wrap The Fabric Around Your Hair
Wrap the bottom of the cloth around your neck. Gather the sides and roll them up slowly to wrap your curls in one go. Wrap the cloth around your hair snugly. If you are using a T-shirt, do this step with the sleeves.
5. Tie Up The Loose Ends
Wrap the rolled-up sleeves/sides along the back of your head. Switch the sides, bring them to the front, and tie them in a knot above your forehead. This presses down the curls firmly and scrunches out the excess water or hair product.
6. Enjoys Your Curls!
Wait a minimum of 20 minutes for the curls to set. Untie the T-shirt/towel slowly and use your fingers to spread out the curls. Proceed to diffuse or air-dry your curls. You can achieve gorgeous, voluptuous curls in the simplest way possible!
Hair plopping may seem a bit tedious at first, but once you try this method and see the glorious results, you’ll never look back.
You can follow a few more tips to make the most of this method and take your curls to a whole new level. Check them out!
Tips For Perfecting The Hair Plopping Method
- Use a good curl defining cream that imparts moisture to your locks. Apply the product evenly without leaving any area untouched.
- Always use a thin fabric for this method. This will allow the water to evaporate faster.
- For a firm grip, you can use elastic bands to fasten the twisted cloth.
- Do not try this process on extremely wet hair. Let your hair air-dry a little before plopping it.
- If the T-shirt/towel keeps coming off, use a long-sleeved T-shirt for better grip.
- Use a good quality microfiber towel. This will keep the curls soft and frizz-free.
- In case of flat curls, you can always go for a curling iron at a low setting and on a few sections of hair to add some bounce to your locks.
- For long-lasting curls, spritz on some volumizing hairspray after plopping your hair.
Trust me, ladies. Hair plopping will change your life. It will give your curls the volume and definition that you have always dreamed of. So, what are you waiting for? Start plopping your hair and tell us how it went in the comments section below.
Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions
Do I have to use hair products for hair plopping?
It is optional, but products like curl defining cream, leave-in conditioner, and smoothing serum help soften your curls and control frizz.
Does hair plopping work on straight hair?
No, this method is ideal for curly hair.
Why should you dry your hair with a T-shirt?
Cotton T-shirts help retain the moisture in your hair whereas terry cloth towels absorb all the moisture and cause frizz and breakage.
Latest posts by Pooja Karkala (see all)
- 10 Best Curling Wands To Buy In 2019 - March 12, 2019
- 10 Best Color Depositing Shampoos You Need To Try Right Now - March 6, 2019
- Baking Soda Shampoo – The New Hair Hack – DIY And Benefits - February 26, 2019
- What Is A Hair Glaze? 10 Best Hair Glazes To Buy In 2019 - February 26, 2019
- What Is Micellar Shampoo? 10 Best Micellar Shampoos You Need To Try Right Now - February 26, 2019