The season for carefree summer styles and light, airy dresses is here. But, are you feeling apprehensive about lounging around in those cool summer shorts or cute breezy skirts because of the unsightly hair on your hands and legs?
Fortunately, there are several treatments to help you banish unwanted hair. The wide gamut of hair removal options ranges from traditional methods such as waxing, shaving, and plucking to more permanent hair removal solutions such as laser hair removal and electrolysis.
In this article, we discuss the pros and cons of 11 popular hair removal methods to help you decide what’s ideal for you.
In This Article
The Best Hair Removal Methods
These are some of the best hair removal methods out there:
Works By: Applying a thin layer of hot or cold wax to the skin. Fabric or paper strips are placed over this coat of wax and then quickly stripped off in the opposite direction of your hair growth.
Sometimes, strip-less wax or hard wax is also used for hair removal. In the case of strip-less wax, the wax hardens when it cools, and you can remove hair without the aid of wax strips.
Best For: Almost all areas of the body, including your upper lip, eyebrows, arms, legs, hands, feet, back, and bikini area.
- Longer-lasting results – the results can last for up to four to six weeks.
- This hair removing method also helps to exfoliate the skin and can prevent ingrown hairs.
- It can be painful.
- If you have sensitive skin particularly, you could experience irritation, redness, or occasionally even get rashes or bumps after waxing.
- If you are getting waxed at a salon, this hair removal method can be relatively expensive, given that it needs to be repeated on a regular basis.
Waxing is not ideal if your hair is too short or less than ¼ inch long.
Safety Concerns: There is a risk of burning when using hot wax. If good waxing practices are not followed, you could also be at risk for infections.
Works By: Using a cotton thread to trap and pull out any unwanted hair.
Best For: Eyebrows, upper lip, chin, forehead, middle brow, neck, and the sides of the face.
- This is a quick and natural hair removal method.
- There are no chemicals involved, and it is, therefore, safe on the skin.
- Threading can also help you achieve a precise shape and finish on your eyebrows, which may be difficult to attain with waxing.
Results can last anywhere between 2-5 weeks.
- Threading can be painful and even leave minor cuts or bruises on sensitive skin.
- This hair removal method is generally not recommended for large areas of the body, such as arms and legs, as it can only remove a line of hair at once.
- Frequent threading may also cause sagging of the skin.
Safety Concerns: While threading is generally considered safe, there is a potential risk of getting herpes or staph infection if dirty threads are used or the beautician uses their mouth to hold one end of the thread and is carrying the virus in their saliva.
Works By: Using a manual or electric razor to remove hair that is above the skin’s surface.
Best For: Any area of the body, especially legs, arms, stomach, armpits, and the bikini area.
- It is easy and cheap.
- If you are short on time, this quick hair removal method can be especially helpful.
- Shaving is also suitable for cleaning large surface areas of the body, such as the arms and legs.
- Hair grows back quickly, and the results last for about 1-3 days.
- Shaving can also cause ingrown hair, painful nicks, and cuts.
Safety Concerns: If shaving is done too frequently, it can result in a condition called folliculitis, which is inflammation of the hair follicles. Dirty razor blades also increase your risk of razor burns and generalized infections such as cellulitis.
4. Depilatory Creams
Works By: Creating a chemical reaction that helps to break down the keratin proteins in the hair and dissolve the hair at the surface of the skin.
Best For: Areas of the body with thicker or tougher skin such as your arms, legs, or armpits.
- Depilatory creams are inexpensive and quick.
- This hair removing method is a pain-free alternative to other techniques such as waxing and sugaring.
- Another advantage is that the hair grows back much softer.
- It can be messy, and the creams generally tend to have a very pungent odor.
- As depilatory creams use strong chemicals, they can also sometimes cause skin irritation and allergies.
- In some people, the use of depilatory creams can result in ‘shadow skin,’ which happens when the hair has not been completely removed from the roots.
- The results are also not long-lasting, and hair regrowth can occur within 2 to 3 days.
Safety Concerns: The use of depilatory creams make the skin more sensitive and prone to sunburns. If these creams are left on for too long, they can also cause severe skin damage.
5. Intense Pulsed Light
Works By: Using high-intensity light to selectively damage targeted hair follicles.
Best For: Upper lip, chin, arms, neck, legs, sideburns, shoulder, back, tummy, hands, fingers, toes, feet, and bikini line.
- The results are long-lasting and may last for up to one year.
- After a full cycle of treatment, you can expect hair growth to reduce by 70 to 90%.
- This method of hair removal is also painless and carries additional benefits such as skin rejuvenation and reduction of acne and acne scars.
- The treatment can be expensive, and multiple sessions are required to reduce hair growth.
- Intense Pulsed Light Therapy or IPL is also not suitable for dark skin types and very light-colored hair.
Safety Concerns: This hair removal method is generally considered safe. Some people may, however, experience local edema or redness in the treated area. These effects typically disappear within a few hours or a few days after the treatment.
Works By: Using an all-natural paste of lemon, water, and sugar to remove unwanted body hair.
Best For: All body parts. This hair removal technique can be especially effective for pubic hair removal and other hard-to-reach areas.
- The process is fast.
- The results are long-lasting. You will not have to worry about hair regrowth for at least 4 to 5 weeks.
- The treatment is organic, safe, and natural.
- It is less painful when compared to waxing.
- When done frequently, sugaring can lead to a permanent reduction in hair growth.
- Requires a few sessions before the hair gets thinner.
- While this treatment is not as painful as waxing, some people may still experience pain and discomfort.
Safety Concerns: The main risk with sugaring is skin burns. If the paste is too hot, it can burn the skin. If the technique is incorrect or the paste is left on the skin for a prolonged amount of time, it can also result in bruising or a condition called folliculitis.
7. Laser Hair Removal
Works By: Using pulses of highly concentrated light that is converted to heat. The heat from the laser light damages the hair follicles and inhibits future hair growth.
Best For: Arms, legs, chest, back, underarms, face, and bikini area.
- Laser hair removal is considered to be one of the best permanent hair removal methods.
- The treatment is fast and easy and works anywhere on the body.
- The upfront costs of the treatment can be high when compared to other hair removal methods.
- The treatment may also not be effective for people with lighter hair color.
- Post-treatment, some individuals may experience skin sensitivity and need to avoid exposure to direct sunlight for at least 24 hours.
Safety Concerns: The main risks involved with laser hair removal are temporary swelling, blistering, pigment changes, redness, and discomfort. Another rare side effect that has been noted is excessive hair growth around treated areas and graying of treated hair.
Works By: Removing the color or permanently lightening the hair through an irreversible chemical reaction.
Best For: Facial and body hair.
- The process is fast, easy, and affordable.
- It can be done at home and does not necessarily require a salon appointment.
- It is also pain-free and works effectively on different skin types, including sensitive skin.
- It does not remove hair and only works to lighten the hair color.
- The effect of bleach is also not permanent. The results may last for only up to 2-4 weeks, depending on how fast your hair grows.
- Bleaching does not work well on thick and long hair and may not be ideal for people with darker skin tones as bleached hair tends to stand out on dark skin and will become even more noticeable.
Safety Concerns: When compared to permanent hair removal methods such as laser hair removal, bleaching is considered to be relatively safe. Common side effects associated with bleaching include itching, redness, swelling, bumps, dry skin, and sometimes skin allergies. Doing a patch test is, therefore, always recommended.
More serious reactions such as burns and blisters may occur if the product is left on for longer than the recommended time.
Works By: Plucking out hair from the hair follicle with the help of a tweezer.
Best For: Eyebrows, chin, upper lip, nose, sideburn area, underarm, knuckles, bikini line, nipples, and toes.
- It is an inexpensive, fast, and convenient hair removing method.
- Useful for areas that require precise shaping, such as the eyebrows, and also getting rid of stray hairs on the body and face.
- Over time, tweezing can even reduce hair growth and will make your hair grow back thinner.
- When done correctly, the results may last for up to 6 weeks.
- It can be a painful and slow process.
- It is not suited for areas with lots of hair.
- If done incorrectly, tweezing can break the hair instead of plucking it out, which can lead to thicker regrowth of the hair.
Safety Concerns: If the tweezers are not well-sterilized, there is a potential risk of infection. Tweezing ingrown hairs also poses a risk as it can lead to possible scarring, scrapes, and infection.
Works By: Inserting a fine probe into the hair follicle and applying a small amount of current to stop new hair growth.
Best For: Almost all facial and body parts, including the eyebrows, upper lip, lower lip, chin, sideburns, underarms, breasts, abdomen, arms, feet, legs, bikini line, and back.
- Electrolysis is one of the best permanent hair removal methods.
- It works on all skin and hair types.
- It leaves your skin looking smooth and sleek.
- It is painful, time-consuming, and requires multiple treatments.
- Electrolysis can also be expensive compared to other hair removal methods such as waxing, sugaring, bleaching, etc.
Safety Concerns: While electrolysis does not pose any major health risks, experts warn that some people may experience temporary redness, swelling, or tender skin after the treatment. Sometimes, electrolysis can also cause changes in skin color, keloid scars, or scarring.
Works By: Pulling out hair with the help of a hand-held device made up of a series of tweezers.
Best For: Areas that are not so sensitive, such as your arms and legs.
- It is a relatively affordable process as it can be done at home. You only need to purchase an epilator.
- It gives you long-lasting results. When done properly, the results can last for up to one month.
- With frequent epilation, your hair will grow back thinner over time.
- It can be painful and time-consuming.
- Ingrown hairs are another undesirable consequence.
Safety Concerns: Epilators can cause some irritation and redness, especially if you don’t know how to use them. Epilation devices also need to be cleaned frequently as dirty devices pose a risk of infection.
Based on the rate of your hair growth, skin sensitivity, the thickness of your hair, and your budget, you will be able to determine which hair removal method is the best choice for you.
If you wish to undergo permanent hair removal treatments, such as laser hair removal or electrolysis, seek out an experienced and licensed clinic or dermatologist. This is because you could end up with permanent burns or scars if these treatments are not done under expert and careful supervision.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which hair removal method is the best for private parts?
You can try different hair removing methods for your private parts, such as trimming, shaving, laser, waxing, or bikini creams. Getting a professional bikini wax done is the best as the results last up to a month.
What is the best hair removal cream for legs?
Nair Hair Removal Cream is considered a good hair removal cream for legs. You can also try Veet 3-in-1 Sensitive Formula Hair Removal Cream if you have sensitive skin.
What is the best hair removal cream for private parts?
Nair Sensitive Formula Bikini Cream can be used for private parts. However, you may want to do a patch test first to check for allergies.
What is the best permanent hair removal method?
Electrolysis is one of the best methods for permanent hair removal as it works on all skin and hair types. It is also an FDA-approved method.
What are some of the best at-home hair removal methods?
Shaving, waxing, threading, depilatory creams, tweezing, epilation, and sugaring are all hair removal methods you could try at home.
- Hair Removal Sprays Of 2021 – Our Top 13 Picks
- 13 Best Hair Removal Creams Of 2021
- 10 Best Hair Growth Inhibitors – 2021
- Get Rid Of Ingrown Hair For Smoother Skin