Modern technologies have come up with trendy flat iron straighteners that are user-friendly. You no longer have to visit a salon if you want straight hair. However, using a hair straightener may not be easy for someone who has not used it before. Though flat irons are simple to use, one needs to be aware of the associated factors to ensure safety. If you are a beginner, here is a simple guide on how to use hair straightener at home.
How To Make Hair Ready For Straightening
Before you straighten hair at home, you need to prep your hair. Pollution, grease, various styling products, and dirt make your hair frizzy and unmanageable (1). Therefore, you need to wash your hair before straightening it.
Use a hydrating and nourishing shampoo to make your hair soft. Before you apply the flat iron on hair, make sure your hair is dry. Do not use a hair straightener on wet hair.
Choosing The Right Type Of Hair Straightener
Choosing the right type of hair straightener is as important as preparing your hair for the straightening method. The market is flooded with plenty of straightening brands, and the abundance of options may end up confusing you. Here Checkout these Hair Straighteners as few options you can consider. Using a bad iron may end up damaging the hair severely.
Among many types of straighteners, flat irons are the best ones. They may be a little expensive compared to other types but are the best in terms of safety. When you are shopping for one, try to pick a straightener that comes with ceramic coating. This type of product is gentle for hair and provides hair with extra shine and health.
Choosing the right size of hair straightener is most important. The ideal size for the straightening iron ranges between 1” to 1.5” wide. Irons having two plates or more are the best types of straighteners for all lengths of hair.
How To Use Hair Straightener At Home
Applying a hair straightener at home does not involve rocket science. Here is a simple step-by-step guide for you:
- Wash your hair with a good conditioning shampoo. Blow-dry it after wash. Use a smoothing and conditioning shampoo if you have frizzy, thick hair. For thin hair, you should opt for the volumizing products.
- Towel dry your hair after washing it and follow with a blow-dry. When drying the hair, do it from the roots to the tips. Comb your hair well and detangle it. This is the first step of hair straightening.
- The next step is to apply a heat protection spray to protect your hair from the damage caused due to heat. Avoid applying the serum on the roots as it would make the hair greasy.
- While making the hair ready for straightening, divide the hair into sections so that you can straighten your hair uniformly on all sides.
- Set the correct temperature on the iron. It depends on the length of the hair. Refer to the manual for directions.
- Leave an inch from the root and start straightening your hair. Straighten one section of hair at a time. Repeat the method for each section.
- Enjoy looking at your sleek and straight hair in the mirror.
Hope the above home hair straightener guide can help you out in straightening your hair safely at home.
- Gavazzoni Dias, Maria Fernanda Reis. “Hair cosmetics: an overview.” International journal of trichology vol. 7,1 (2015): 2-15.
Latest posts by Anjali Sayee (see all)
- How To Lighten Your Hair Without Bleach - December 31, 2020
- How To Lighten Dark Brown Hair Without Bleach - December 31, 2020
- Everything You Need To Know About 2C Type Hair - December 28, 2020
- Alopecia Areata: Causes, Types, And Treatment - December 28, 2020
- Hair Conditioner – Benefits And How To Use It - December 23, 2020