Flat iron straighteners that are both fashionable and user-friendly are a boon of modern technology. If you want straight hair, you do not need to go to a beauty parlor anymore. But, how do you use a hair straightener from the comfort of your home? It is important to remember that using a hair straightener for the first time can be challenging. Although flat-irons are easy to use, one must be extremely careful with them to be safe. Here’s a quick tutorial about how to use a hair straightener at home if you are a beginner.
In This Article
How To Make Hair Ready For Straightening
Before you straighten hair at home, you need to prep your hair. Pollution, grease, various styling products, and dirt make your hair frizzy and unmanageable (1). Therefore, you need to wash your hair before straightening it.
Use a hydrating and nourishing shampoo to make your hair soft. Before you apply the flat iron on hair, make sure your hair is dry. Do not use a hair straightener on wet hair.
Choosing The Right Type Of Hair Straightener
Choosing the right type of hair straightener is as important as preparing your hair for the straightening method. The market is flooded with plenty of straightening brands, and the abundance of options may end up confusing you. Here Checkout these Hair Straighteners as few options you can consider. Using a bad iron may end up damaging the hair severely.
Among many types of straighteners, flat irons are the best ones. They may be a little expensive compared to other types but are the best in terms of safety. When you are shopping for one, try to pick a straightener that comes with ceramic coating. This type of product is gentle for hair and provides hair with extra shine and health.
Choosing the right size of hair straightener is most important. The ideal size for the straightening iron ranges between 1” to 1.5” wide. Irons having two plates or more are the best types of straighteners for all lengths of hair.
How To Use Hair Straightener At Home
Applying a hair straightener at home does not involve rocket science. Here is a simple step-by-step guide for you:
- Wash your hair with a good conditioning shampoo. Use a heat protectant spray and then blow-dry your hair after washing it. Use a smoothing and conditioning shampoo if you have frizzy, thick hair. For thin hair, you should opt for the volumizing products.
- Towel dry your hair after washing it and follow with a blow-dry. When drying the hair, do it from the roots to the tips. Comb your hair well and detangle it. This is the first step of hair straightening.
- The next step is to apply a heat protection spray to protect your hair from the damage caused due to heat. Avoid applying the serum on the roots as it would make the hair greasy.
- While making the hair ready for straightening, divide the hair into sections so that you can straighten your hair uniformly on all sides.
- Set the correct temperature on the iron. It depends on the length of the hair. Refer to the manual for directions.
- Leave an inch from the root and start straightening your hair. Straighten one section of hair at a time. Repeat the method for each section.
- Enjoy looking at your sleek and straight hair in the mirror.
Using the wrong hair straightener or using the right one incorrectly can cause hair damage to your stunning tresses. It is important to use a straightener the right way, starting with washing your hair with a hydrating shampoo. After that, select the right hair straightener for your hair, like a flat iron with a ceramic coating that is gentle on your tresses. Also, don’t forget to apply a heat protectant before you straighten your hair. The best way to straighten your hair thoroughly is to divide it into sections and then flat ironing each section.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you use hair straighteners on wet or dry hair?
You should not use a hair straightener on wet hair. Wet hair is porous, and applying heat to it can lead to severe hair damage.
Is it OK to straighten your hair every day?
No. Straightening your hair every day can lead to hair damage like dryness, breakage, and frizz.
Can I apply oil before straightening?
You can apply some oil to your hair before straightening it. Oil coats your hair strands and protects them from heat damage. But, it is better to use a heat protectant.
Why does my hair get frizzy after I straighten it?
Straightening your hair with chemical treatments or a heat styling tool dries out your hair, leaving it frizzy.
- Gavazzoni Dias, Maria Fernanda Reis. “Hair cosmetics: an overview.” International journal of trichology vol. 7,1 (2015): 2-15.