Who said short hair is only for the young?
As you age, you’ll realize that your hair changes over time. It becomes more prone to hair fall, and the longer your hair is, the more difficult it becomes to maintain. So, who can you look up to for the answer to your problem? Helen Mirren and Judi Dench! Besides their Oscar-level acting, these two stars have another thing in common – short hair.
You’re probably thinking, “No, I don’t think that will suit me! I’m too old to sport short hair!” Well, here are some incredible short hairstyles sported by women over 60 that you will want to try out for yourself!
20 Eye-catching Short Hairstyles For Women Over 60
1. The Silver Fox Bob
No one exudes more confidence than a woman proudly sporting her natural white hair. The layers and bangs will certainly make you look younger by giving your hair a voluminous look.
2. Feathered Bangs With Inward Layers
This hairstyle looks gorgeous! It is perfect for women who want to flaunt their hair but hesitate because it is too thin. The layers add volume, and the bangs help frame your face. The feathered ends flicked inwards will also make your hair look voluminous.
3. The Simple Bob
The bob is a favorite among older women, and it’s clear why. It is very stylish and looks good on almost all face shapes. To add a bit more oomph, go for layered front bangs as they slim down the lower half of your face.
4. Wavy Ends
Adding waves to the lower half of your hair is a great way to make it bouncy and look lush. If you have thin hair due to hair loss or fine texture, this hairstyle is sure to amp up your hair from a 4 to a whopping 10!
5. Layered Curls
If you have curly hair, you need to accentuate the curls, so they look gorgeously messy but not unmanageable. Layers are a great way to show off your coiled locks and help in framing your face. Apply a curl defining cream to damp hair to get the best out of your curls.
6. Wavy Hair With Blunt Ends
Adding waves is the best way to get glossy, voluminous, and fuller looking hair. If you have wide cheeks, go for tighter, well-defined waves to divert attention from them. This hairstyle also softens your facial features, making you look more relaxed.
7. The Side-Swept Bob
Side-swept hair is always trending, and so is the bob. So, why not merge them together? This hairstyle is very chic and classy. The side-swept bangs will slim down your face and add a chic look to your bob.
8. The OTT Bob
Jane Fonda knows exactly what hairstyles look brilliant on her. Her bob is very well sculpted and held together with hairspray. Her one-swish wavy bangs draw focus to her facial features. The light highlights in the front not only help define her face but also accentuate her natural hair color.
9. Retro Waves
This hairstyle looks straight out of a vintage Hollywood movie! It is perfect for women who don’t want to cut their hair too short. The big loose waves at the ends will make the lower half of your face appear slender.
10. The Classic Jane Fonda
This hairstyle seems to be Jane Fonda’s go-to for most events, and I can see why! The spiky flicked-out ends and the wispy bangs make her look youthful. The teased hair at the crown of her head adds height to her face. Lastly, those blonde locks accentuate her eyes and lip color wonderfully.
11. The Classic Bob
Helen Mirren is the epitome of sophistication. Her hairstyles are always a perfect 10. If you’re looking for something short and classy, this is it! The feathered side-swept bangs make her bob look chic.
12. Curly Ends
If you’ve always had short hair, this is the best way to add some pizzazz to it. Curl the ends using velcro rollers to make your hair look fuller than it is and add some style to it.
13. The Shag Hairdo
Due to its multiple layers, the shag hairstyle is an ideal way to make women look youthful. The layers make your hair look luscious and also slim down the lower half of your face.
14. The Swept-Up Bob
If you love looking stylish but need a low-maintenance do for your hair, this is the hairstyle for you. The swept-up bob makes your face look long and lean. To get this look, apply some strong-hold hair gel and brush the hair at the top of your head upwards. Spritz on some hairspray to keep the hairdo intact for a few hours.
15. The Meryl Streep Do
While we may have disliked Miranda Priestly’s (The Devil Wears Prada) attitude, we can’t deny Meryl Streep’s impressive style. This hairstyle is perfect for the working woman who isn’t afraid of fashion. The voluminous middle parting and flicked-out ends add so much style to this simple long bob.
16. The Classic Judi
Judi Dench always sports a pixie cut. It is a low-maintenance style that is easy and uber cool to play around with. Look at the spiky hair at the crown of her head. It adds so much oomph to a simple pixie.
17. The Blunt Lob
Red hair and a blunt long bob are a deadly combination. Most women love this hairstyle. The thick blunt ends make your hair look lush and full. The side parting helps streamline wide cheeks and a large forehead.
18. Big Curls
You can achieve this amazing look with some styling mousse and velcro rollers. Apply gel or mousse to your hair. Roll medium-sized sections of your hair in velcro rollers and keep them in overnight. You can also do this on damp hair that is 75% dry. You won’t be disappointed with the results!
19. The Messy Pixie
Messy hair has taken the world by storm! Spritz on some hairspray and run your fingers through your hair to get the perfect tousled look. The pixie cut takes care of the style factor.
20. The Classy Long Bangs Bob
Sharon Stone never ceases to amaze us with her short hairdos. Her long side-swept bangs slim down her jawline and draw attention to her perfect cheekbones and eyes.
Now that you know what the 20 best styles short hairstyles for women over 60 are, we have just one more thing left to cover – hair care for your tresses.
As you grow older, you’ll need to take better care of your hair. Here are a few tips to help you along the way:
- Stay away from heat styling tools. Heat styling tools like curling irons and straighteners damage your hair. Instead, try using rollers to curl your hair. Brush your hair while you blow dry it on a low setting to straighten it.
- When you comb your hair, be gentle. Start from the ends, and move up gradually. Be slow and gentle while you comb your hair. When you brush your hair harshly, it causes hair breakage and hair fall.
- Use shampoos that cater to your hair problems. If you have thin hair, use a volumizing shampoo. The same goes for build-up and greasy hair.
- Sometimes, shampoo can be too harsh on your hair, which can lead to hair loss and dryness. Add a little water to your shampoo to dilute it when you wash your hair. This will clean your hair and keep it healthy.
- Opt for natural colors (like henna) over chemical-based ones. Coloring your hair tends to leave it dry and deprived of its shine because of the many chemicals used in coloring products.
- Oil your hair twice every week with coconut or castor oil. These oils will nourish your hair, making it strong, thick, and shiny. Massage the oil into your scalp and leave it on overnight or for at least an hour.
That was our rundown of 20 incredible short hairstyles for women over 60. Don’t forget to comment which one you loved the best! And remember, the more you care for your hair, the more incredible it will look.
Latest posts by Anjali Sayee (see all)
- 50 Breathtaking Hair Color Trends Taking The World By Storm - August 13, 2018
- 8 Amazing Benefits Of Stretching - August 8, 2018
- 20 Eye-catching Short Hairstyles For Women Over 60 - July 30, 2018
- All You Need To Know About 4A Hair - July 6, 2018
- The Real Difference Between Being Blonde And Brunette - June 25, 2018