Hemp seed oil is popularly used in cosmetic and skin care products due to its nourishing and moisturizing properties. It is extracted by cold-pressing hemp nuts and is different from CBD oil (1).
This refined oil contains nutrients and essential fatty acids (omega 3 and omega 6), protein, dietary fiber, vitamins, and minerals (2). It can be taken orally or applied topically to keep your skin healthy. Keep reading to know more about the benefits of hemp seed oil for the skin and ways to use it.
Table Of Contents
Hemp Oil For Skin: The Benefits
Hemp oil is a popular component in many skin and cosmetic products. It should not be confused with CBD oil, which is derived from different species of cannabis and contains psychoactive tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). Hemp seed oil does not contain THC, making it a safer and therapeutic ingredient (1). You will find hemp seed oil in lotions, creams, massage oils, bar and liquid soaps, lip balms, and salves. It offers a wide range of therapeutic benefits. Let us look at them in detail.
- Has Anti-Inflammatory Properties: Hemp seed extract has anti-inflammatory properties and can be used to calm irritated and inflamed skin (1). It may help manage inflammatory skin conditions, such as eczema and psoriasis.
- Has Antimicrobial Properties: Hemp oil has antimicrobial activity and is effective against Propionibacterium acnes (acne-causing bacteria) (1). If you have oily and acne-prone skin, you may use it to manage acne lesions. The antimicrobial activity of hemp oil shields the skin from harmful pathogens and infections.
- May Have Anti-Aging Benefits: Hemp oil can promote collagen development (1). Collagen is an important component of the skin structure and function. It keeps the skin firm and supple and reduces the appearance of wrinkles (3). The anti-aging benefits of hemp oil can also be attributed to its nutrient-rich components like omega fatty acids and antioxidants, such as vitamins A, C, and E (4).
- May Moisturize The Skin: Hemp seed oil is rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids, such as omega fatty acids (2). Dietary intake of hemp seed oil can alleviate the symptoms of atopic dermatitis (5). Consuming these fatty acids can keep the skin moisturized and help soothe eczema, psoriasis, chapped lips, and other dry skin conditions.
These are the benefits of using hemp oil for skin. Find out its probable side effects in the next section.
Side Effects Of Hemp Seed Oil
Hempseed oil is usually safe for consumption and topical application. However, its oral consumption may cause mild poisoning in pre-school kids (6). Before giving hemp seed oil to your kid, always consult a pediatrician.
Always introduce hemp seed oil into your system in small quantities and gradually increase it (within the prescribed limits).
Hemp seed oil may also cause allergic reactions like:
- Burning sensation
- Inflamed or irritated skin.
Always do a patch test before using the oil. Seek medical attention if you notice any of the above-mentioned symptoms. You can read more about the unexpected effects of hemp oil here.
Wondering how to use hemp oil in your skin care routine? Keep reading.
How To Use Hemp Oil For Skin
1. Hemp Oil To Manage Acne
You Will Need
- 2-3 drops of hemp oil
- Clean your face with a gentle cleanser.
- Apply hemp oil to the affected area.
- Leave it on for 2-5 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water.
- Pat dry and moisturize.
2. Hemp Oil Face Mask
You Will Need
- 2-3 drops of hemp oil
- 2-3 drops of essential oil of your choice (optional)
- 2 teaspoons of coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons of powdered oats
- 2 tablespoons of water
- Mix all the ingredients to make a thick and smooth paste.
- Spread the mixture on your face evenly.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Wash your face with lukewarm water.
- Pat dry and moisturize.
You can include hemp oil in your diet to improve your skin health. The simplest way is to ingest 1-2 teaspoons daily or as prescribed by the doctor. You add the oil to your salads, soups, and smoothies.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when choosing a hemp oil product.
Choosing A Hemp Oil Product: Tips To Keep In Mind
- Check the ingredient list and see if the hemp oil is sourced from the seeds or other parts of the plant. Oil extracted from leaves and stalks may contain THC.
- Check the quantity or percentage of hemp oil used in the skin care product. It should abide by the regulations of the governing bodies.
- Chose products as per your skin concerns. If you are looking for an anti-aging product or acne-fighting product, check the other key ingredients to get an overall idea about it.
- Try different products before settling for the one that suits your skin.
The market is flooded with hemp seed oil products. Here are two products that you may try.
The Best Products With Hemp Seed Oil
The Herbivore Emerald Deep Moisture Glow Oil contains CBD-free hemp seed oil. It also has a CBD version for managing inflammatory conditions. This oil is lightweight, vegan, cruelty-free, and gets absorbed quickly into the skin to lock in hydration. It also contains squalane, omega fatty acids, and antioxidants to nourish, moisturize, and protect the skin.
The Advanced Clinicals Hemp Seed Oil Instant Hydration Cream protects dry, parched, and aging skin. It is rich in vitamin E, rosehip oil, and aloe vera and moisturizes the skin, leaving it soft and supple. This cream is cruelty-free, paraben-free, non-greasy, non-comedogenic, and suitable for all skin types.
Hemp seed oil can be ingested or applied topically. It moisturizes the skin, reduces inflammation, keeps the skin youthful, and helps manage acne. While hemp seed oil is considered safe for consumption and topical use, it is better to do a patch test and consult a doctor before using it.
- 4 Benefits Of Hemp Seed Oil For Hair And How To Use It
- CBD Oil – Why It Works For Acne, How To Use, Benefits, And Risks
- Can You Use Bio-Oil On Your Face?
- Boost Hydration With 13 Best Body Oils For Glowing Skin In 2021!
Latest posts by Annie Jangam (see all)
- 101 Adorable Happy Birthday Wishes And Quotes For Daughter - May 12, 2021
- 75 Heartfelt Stepmom Quotes To Express Your Special Bonding - May 12, 2021
- Dull Hair – Causes, Treatments and Home Remedies - May 2, 2021
- Does Radiation Therapy Always Cause Hair Loss? - May 2, 2021
- PCOS Hair Loss: Causes, Signs, Treatment, Remedies and More - May 2, 2021