Hemp seed oil can do great things for your hair. It is extracted from hemp seeds and has a clear green color. Cannabis sativa (hemp) plant has a relaxing effect. Using hemp seed oil for hair has become a popular practice in recent years. Whether it is dry hair, rough hair, damaged hair, or scalp inflammation – hemp seed oil can help nourish and soothe your strands and the scalp. Hemp vitamins, proteins, and essential fatty acids make your hair healthy and lustrous. Read on to learn all the benefits of hemp seed oil for hair and how to use it. Scroll down!
What Is It?
Oil produced from the seeds of hemp, a cannabis plant
What Are Its Benefits?
Its essential fatty acids, vitamins, and antioxidants boost hair health.
Who Can Use It?
Anyone looking to improve their hair health can use this oil.
The frequency of using hemp seed oil on your hair will depend on your individual hair type and needs.
The oil may interact with other hair products. It also may cause skin irritation when used on the scalp. Stop using the product right away if you experience any discomfort.
In This Article
Benefits Of Using Hemp Seed Oil For Hair
There is much anecdotal evidence for the benefits of hemp seed oil. This nourishing oil is said to possess antibacterial properties, treat scalp infections, stimulate hair growth, moisturize the scalp, and prevent breakage. Read on to know more about these benefits in detail.
1. Cures Scalp Infections
If you are looking for a good hair oil with antibacterial properties that treat scalp problems, then hemp seed oil is the best option. An itchy and dry scalp requires special attention. Hemp seed oil has antibacterial properties (1). Thus, it may help cure scalp infections. The omega-3, omega-6, and omega-9 fatty acids and gamma-linoleic acid in hemp seed oil moisturize the scalp by dilating the blood vessels and increasing blood circulation (2), (3). Thus, it may help treat dryness, itchiness, and dandruff.
Note: Hemp seed oil does not leave behind any build-up on your scalp that may lead to flakes.
2. Stimulates Hair Growth
Hemp seed oil is a rich source of all omega-3, 6, and 9 fatty acids. These polyunsaturated fatty acids are crucial for stimulating hair growth (4). This hair oil enhances blood circulation in the scalp and nourishes each hair follicle. Some anecdotal evidence suggests that hemp seed oil stimulates hair growth by preventing unwanted substances from entering the hair follicles.
3. Moisturizes The Scalp
If your hair is dehydrated and needs moisture, hemp seed oil is your savior. This oil not only hydrates your scalp and hair in dry climatic conditions, but it also gets absorbed quickly into your scalp (5). The high absorption capacity of this oil alleviates the chances of it causing greasiness and hair damage. The exceptional moisturizing property of this oil absorbs water that remains on your scalp to provide long-term hydration. Also, it contains vitamin E which leaves your hair hydrated and soft (6), (7).
Note: Hemp seed oil does not weigh down your hair.
Telisse, a curly haired YouTuber, used hemp oil as a pre-poo treatment and loved it, as it gave her hair more moisture and definition. She also noticed that it helped reduce hair fall. She says, “My hair is feeling very healthy, as it has soaked up this oil (i).”
4. Prevents Breakage
Hemp seed oil is rich in fats, proteins, and gamma-linoleic acid (GLA) that may help strengthen your hair. Hemp seed oil can help improve hair density by activating your hair’s natural defense barrier. However, research is limited to prove this claim. The moisturizing properties of hemp may help prevent hair breakage, split ends, and dryness.
These are the ways hemp seed oil could benefit your hair. The following section lists a few methods of using this oil to reap its maximum benefits. Check them out!
How To Use Hemp Seed Oil For Hair
1. Prepare Your Own Hemp Seed Oil Hair Mask
A hemp seed oil hair mask is easy to prepare with ingredients that are easily available in your kitchen. Here’s the preparation process for your own DIY hair mask.
What You Need
- Hemp seed oil – 2-4 drops
- Peeled avocado – Half
- Banana – Half
- Aloe vera gel – 1 teaspoon
- Honey – 1 tablespoon
- Egg yolk – 1
- A few drops of your favorite essential oil
What To Do
- Separate the yolk from the egg and whip it until foamy.
- Mix all the ingredients in a blender until they form a paste.
- Divide your hair into sections and apply the hair mask from roots to ends.
- Leave the hair mask in your hair for 20-30 minutes.
- Rinse it off with cool water. Do not use warm water as it can cook the egg.
2. Add Hemp Seed Oil To Hair Dye
You can add hemp seed oil to your hair dye before coloring your hair. This can protect your hair from the damage caused by hair dye. Add 2 drops of hemp seed oil to the dye and mix it thoroughly before applying it to your hair.
3. Hemp Seed Oil Spray For Your Hair
Hemp seed oil spray can help detangle your hair easily and give it lots of shine. Here is a simple method for making your hemp seed oil spray.
What You Need
- Water – 1 cup
- Hemp seed oil – 5-8 drops
- Essential oil – 1 or 2 drops
What To Do
- Pour 1 cup of water into a spray bottle.
- Add 5-8 drops of hemp oil.
- Mix a couple of drops of your favorite essential oil for added aroma.
- Shake the bottle well to mix all the ingredients.
- Spritz it on your hair whenever you want to refresh it.
4. Massage Your Scalp With Hemp Seed Oil
Simply massage a few drops of hemp seed oil into your scalp and hair before you go to bed. The next morning, wash it off with a mild sulfate-free shampoo to get shiny and silky hair.
Infographic: Know More About Hemp Seed Oil
Hemp oil has gained popularity over the last few years, as apparent from its widespread use in cosmetics. However, it is still a lesser-known plant-based oil than a few more popular candidates like argan oil, olive oil, or coconut oil.
Check out the infographic to know more about hemp seed oil.
Although there is little scientific evidence backing the benefits of hemp seed oil for hair care, there is a lot of anecdotal evidence supporting its usage. This natural oil has antibacterial and moisturizing properties that keep your hair healthy and beautiful. You can use it regularly to treat scalp infections and maintain scalp health, stimulate hair growth, and prevent hair breakage. The vegan and cruelty-free oil may also help reduce scalp inflammation and improve scalp moisturization. You can add hemp seed oil to hair masks, dyes, and sprays or massage your scalp with it directly.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is hemp oil good for curly hair?
Yes. Hemp oil works great as a natural curl definer and helps strengthen hair.
Is hemp oil good for frizzy hair?
Yes. Hemp oil is rich in omega-fatty acids that help combat dry and frizzy hair.
Is hemp oil good for high-porosity hair?
Yes. The gamma-linoleic acid in hemp seed oil helps retain moisture and form keratin, making it ideal for high-porosity hair.
Can you put hemp oil on wet hair?
Yes. You can apply hemp oil to wet hair to help maintain shine and boost its growth.
Can I leave hemp seed oil in my hair overnight?
Yes. It is safe to leave hemp seed oil in the hair overnight.
- Hemp seed oil is rich in vitamins, proteins, and healthy fatty acids.
- It can be an important addition to your hair care routine to improve hair smoothness, shine, and luster.
- It not only helps soothe your scalp but also nourishes and strengthens the hair strands in and out.
- When used in combination with hair dyes or as a mask or spray, hemp seed oil can help give you a visible difference.
Unlock the power of Hemp Oil for your hair and skin in this enlightening video. Discover the incredible uses and benefits of this natural wonder for nourished, healthy-looking hair and radiant, rejuvenated skin. Check it out!
Personal Experience: Source
i. Hemp seed oil pre-poo treatment 4 length retention, elasticity, & softer natural hair | curly tells
Articles on StyleCraze are backed by verified information from peer-reviewed and academic research papers, reputed organizations, research institutions, and medical associations to ensure accuracy and relevance. Read our editorial policy to learn more.
- Formulation, Characterization and Properties of Hemp Seed Oil and Its Emulsions
- Moisturizers: The Slippery Road
- Antioxidants help favorably regulate the kinetics of lipid peroxidation, polyunsaturated fatty acids degradation and acidic cannabinoids decarboxylation in hempseed oil
- Detection of cannabinoids in hair after cosmetic application of hemp oil
- Cannabis sativa: The Plant of the Thousand and One Molecules
- Hemp-seed and olive oils: their stability against oxidation and use in O/W emulsions
- Hair Cosmetics: An Overview