Hemp seed oil is a wondrous clear green oil derived from hemp seeds. You may know of the Cannabis sativa (hemp) plant for its relaxing benefits. But, did you know it is also good for your hair? The use of this natural oil as hair oil has been on the rise in recent years. It protects your hair from damage and dryness and reduces scalp inflammation. Also, it is packed with essential fatty acids, proteins, and vitamins that help you get healthy and lustrous hair. In this article, we have discussed the benefits and hemp seed oil and how to use it. Scroll down to find out!
In This Article
Benefits Of Using Hemp Seed Oil For Hair
There is much anecdotal evidence for the benefits of hemp seed oil. It is said to possess antibacterial properties, treat scalp infections, stimulate hair growth, moisturize the scalp, and prevent breakage. Read on to know more about these benefits in detail.
1. Cures Scalp Infections
If you are looking for a good hair oil with antibacterial properties that treat scalp problems, then hemp seed oil is the best option. An itchy and dry scalp requires special attention. Hemp seed oil has antibacterial properties (1). Thus, it may help cure scalp infections. The omega-3, 6, and 9 fatty acids and gamma-linoleic acid in hemp seed oil moisturize the scalp by dilating the blood vessels and increasing blood circulation (2), (3). Thus, it may help treat dryness, itchiness, and dandruff.
Note: Hemp seed oil does not leave behind any build-up on your scalp that may lead to flakes.
2. Stimulates Hair Growth
Hemp seed oil is a rich source of all omega-3, 6, and 9 fatty acids. These polyunsaturated fatty acids are crucial for stimulating hair growth (4). This hair oil enhances blood circulation in the scalp and nourishes each hair follicle. Some anecdotal evidence suggests that hemp seed oil stimulates hair growth by preventing unwanted substances from entering the hair follicles.
3. Moisturizes The Scalp
If your hair is dehydrated and needs moisture, hemp seed oil is your savior. This oil not only hydrates your scalp and hair in dry climatic conditions, but it also gets absorbed quickly into your scalp (5). The high absorption capacity of this oil alleviates the chances of it causing greasiness and hair damage. The exceptional moisturizing property of this oil absorbs water that remains on your scalp to provide long-term hydration. Also, it contains vitamin E which leaves your hair hydrated and soft (6), (7).
Note: Hemp seed oil does not weigh down your hair.
4. Prevents Breakage
Hemp seed oil is rich in fats, proteins, and gamma-linoleic acid (GLA) that may help strengthen your hair. Hemp seed oil can help improve hair density by activating your hair’s natural defense barrier. However, research is limited to prove this claim. The moisturizing properties of hemp may help prevent hair breakage, split ends, and dryness.
These are the ways hemp seed oil could benefit your hair. The following section lists a few methods of using this oil to reap its maximum benefits. Check them out!
How To Use Hemp Seed Oil For Hair
1. Prepare Your Own Hemp Seed Oil Hair Mask
A hemp seed oil hair mask is easy to prepare with ingredients that are easily available in your kitchen. Here’s the preparation process for your own DIY hair mask.
What You Need
- Hemp seed oil – 2-4 drops
- Peeled avocado – Half
- Banana – Half
- Aloe vera gel – 1 teaspoon
- Honey – 1 tablespoon
- Egg yolk – 1
- A few drops of your favorite essential oil
What To Do
- Separate the yolkfrom the egg and whip it until foamy.
- Mix all the ingredients in a blender until they form a paste.
- Divide your hair into sections and apply the hair mask from roots to ends.
- Leave the hair mask inyourhair for 20-30 minutes.
- Rinse it off with cool water. Do not use warm water as it can cook the egg.
2. Add Hemp Seed Oil To Hair Dye
You can add hemp seed oil to your hair dye before coloring your hair. This can protect your hair from the damage caused by hair dye. Add 2 drops of hemp seed oil to the dye and mix it thoroughly before applying it to your hair.
3. Hemp Seed Oil Spray For Your Hair
Hemp seed oil spray can help detangle your hair easily and give it lots of shine. Here is a simple method for making your hemp seed oil spray.
What You Need
- Water – 1 cup
- Hemp seed oil – 5-8 drops
- Essential oil – 1 or 2 drops
What To Do
- Pour 1 cup of water into a spray bottle.
- Add 5-8 drops of hemp oil.
- Mix a couple of drops of your favorite essential oil for added aroma.
- Shake the bottle well to mix all the ingredients.
- Spritz it on your hair whenever you want to refresh it.
4. Massage Your Scalp With Hemp Seed Oil
Simply massage a few drops of hemp seed oil into your scalp and hair before you go to bed. The next morning, wash it off with a mild sulfate-free shampoo to get shiny and silky hair.
Though there is not much scientific evidence for the benefits of hemp seed oil, anecdotal evidence suggests that it is great for your hair due to its moisturizing and antibacterial properties. It has a cleansesyour hair and helps in alleviating scalp inflammation. Try out hemp seed oil on your hair to experience the benefits yourself!
Stylecraze has strict sourcing guidelines and relies on peer-reviewed studies, academic research institutions, and medical associations. We avoid using tertiary references. You can learn more about how we ensure our content is accurate and current by reading our editorial policy.
- Formulation, Characterization and Properties of Hemp Seed Oil and Its Emulsions
- Moisturizers: The Slippery Road
- Antioxidants help favorably regulate the kinetics of lipid peroxidation, polyunsaturated fatty acids degradation and acidic cannabinoids decarboxylation in hempseed oil
- Detection of cannabinoids in hair after cosmetic application of hemp oil
- Cannabis sativa: The Plant of the Thousand and One Molecules
- Hemp-seed and olive oils: their stability against oxidation and use in O/W emulsions
- Hair Cosmetics: An Overview