“The body of one who uses oil massage regularly does not become affected much, even if subjected to accidental injuries or strenuous work. By using oil massage daily, a person is endowed with pleasant touch, trimmed body parts, and becomes strong, charming and least affected by old age.”
— Charaka Samhita: Sutrasthana: V: 88-89
Applying oil to the hair and scalp is an ancient and traditional way to improve the quality and strength of hair. Here are a few benefits of doing so:
Benefits Of Applying Oil To The Scalp (Murdha taila) According To Ayurveda
- It helps your hair grow thicker, softer, and shinier.
- It helps in soothing and invigorating the sense organs.
- It also helps in reducing facial wrinkles.
Bhringaraj Oil, Brahmi Oil, and Healthy Hair Oil are especially well-suited for scalp massage.
In order to gain the benefits of massaging oil onto the scalp, it is very important to apply it in the right way and at the right time. The method and application of hair oil vary depending on the benefits you wish to reap. Here are a few benefits along with the method of application.
1. To Improve The Quality Of Hair
We can say that our hair quality has improved when we have better hair growth, lesser split ends, softer and shinier hair, and no issues of premature graying.
It is always suggested that you apply oil thoroughly to your hair and scalp at night before you go to sleep. Keep it on overnight, and wash your hair the next morning with lukewarm water.
You can apply oil whenever you decide to wash your hair. However, you must not wash your hair daily, especially if you have long hair. Limit hair wash to twice or thrice a week.
A few people apply oil even after washing their hair. However, it is not desirable to do so as the oil can attract dust due to pollution and the harsh rays of the sun. But if you are at home, you can apply some oil to the scalp and roots of your hair.
For hair growth, apply oil to the scalp, roots, and length of the hair. You can also heat the oil a bit and apply it to your scalp. But if you have pitta imbalance, a headache, or rashes on your scalp, avoid the hot oil treatment.
Here is a video tutorial on how you can apply oil to your scalp:
2. To Get Rid Of Dandruff
If you are suffering from dandruff or irritation on your scalp, applying oil regularly can help you get rid of this problem.
For effective results, process the oil with neem leaves and other essential herbs that are bitter in odor. Apply this processed hair oil to your scalp and hair an hour before you take a bath. Washing your hair with warm water will be helpful.
3. To Relieve Headache
To get rid of a headache, you can choose any Ayurvedic oil or consult an Ayurvedic doctor.
Apply oil in the evening, around 6 pm. A headache is usually associated with vata, and this time of the day is dominated by vata. Thus, it makes sense to apply oil around that time.
4. For A Good Sleep
A gentle massage on your head with oil half an hour before you sleep can help you get a good night’s sleep. You can apply sesame oil for more effective results.
Ayurveda recommends applying sesame oil as it can help prevent baldness, premature graying of hair, and headache. Kerala Ayurvedic therapy centers also use sesame oil.
An alternative to sesame oil is coconut oil. The best way to apply coconut oil is to heat it mildly and then apply it to your scalp and hair. Doing this will also help you keep cold and sinusitis at bay.
We hope you now know the correct technique to apply oil to your hair. Share your views in the comments box below.
- The Only Customized Hair Growth Solution In India – Vedix
- Vedix – India’s 1st Customized Hair Growth Solution
- Hair Growth 3 Unique Products With Vedix – Ayurvedic Regimen
- Doctor Approved Ayurvedic Regimen For Thick Hair Growth – Vedix
Latest posts by Jyotsana Rao (see all)
- 4 Amazing Beauty Benefits Of Tomatoes! It Treats Acne Too. - April 6, 2017
- It Empties Your Bowels And Makes You Lose A Lot Of Weight Too! - March 30, 2017
- Milk Wax – Never Heard Of This Before, But My Sister Is Using It Since Last Year And Now, Her Skin Is Just Like Milk - March 28, 2017
- She Begins Rubbing Turmeric Onto Her Cheeks. When She Rubs It Off, The Results Are Unbelievable! - March 21, 2017
- 10 Signs That Indicate That Your Partner No Longer Loves You - March 21, 2017