It is known that genes determine our height (1). However, some anecdotal evidence suggests hanging helps increase height (2). In fact, this is one of the most common pieces of advice anyone keen to increase their height will receive. Drinking milk and cycling also are believed to promote height. That said, hanging exercises can be a great addition to your exercise regime. They are easy to perform and do not need major equipment. Read on to learn more about them and if they are really effective in increasing height.
In This Article
Does Hanging Increase Height?
For a major part of the day, most of us are in an upright position. Experts say that one of the main hindrances to growing taller is gravity (3). Gravity affects our spine and joints and actually compresses it. It squeezes the cartilage and contracts the muscles. This is what makes us appear shorter. So, what can be done to defy gravity? The answer is to hang for that extra boost! Hanging can help fight the effects of gravity on our body, and thus promote growth!
How Does Hanging Help?
Hanging is a very simple exercise and at the same time it is strenuous also. When you hang by holding bars, you are actually stretching your entire body. Your feet are away from the ground. Your lower body is stretched completely, and the spine is also elongated while doing this exercise. Try this small experiment. Ask someone to measure your height when you are standing on the ground. Ask them to do the same while hanging. You will find a noticeable difference in height when you compare the two, as your bones lengthen due to the stretching when you hang.
Factors To Consider While Hanging
- Hanging is completely an antigravity exercise.
- When you hang each and every muscle and bone is stretched in your body.
- Blood circulates more efficiently to the stretched parts of the body.
- Oxygen is also well circulated from head to toe.
- The body stretches naturally because of improved blood and oxygen circulation in the body.
How To Do Hanging Exercises to Increase Height?
- Firstly, you need a good set of horizontal bars. These are found in gymnasiums and even many public parks.
- However, make sure that the horizontal bars are located high enough to support the entire length of your body.
- When you hang from these bars, your feet should elevate at least 1 inch from the ground.
- In case your body does not suspend itself fully, bend your knees slightly.
- Your body should hang freely from the bars.
- While holding the bars, your palms should face away from you.
- Imagine if you’re doing push-ups, you will hold the bars with your palms facing in the opposite direction. Similarly, even while hanging try and use the same posture.
- Make sure you are holding the bars tight enough.
- Start relaxing your body and let it loose.
- This gives room for the body to grow a few inches.
- When you’re hanging with your feet above the ground, gravity is acting on your body and trying to pull it downwards. This is what is stretching your body.
- You can also opt for the rope-hanging exercise which helps build your strength while you train your core. You can add a knot to your rope or use a knotted rope for added support.
How Much Time Should One Spend Hanging from a Bar to Increase Height?
This depends on your personal stamina. Hanging is a strenuous exercise. Those who are practiced at this can hang continuously for about 30 seconds at one go. However, if you spend 3 to 4 minutes every day hanging it is more than enough. If you extend your body too much for too long, it can strain the muscles and ligaments.
Infographic: Important Points To Know For Hanging Exercises
Anecdotal evidence suggests that hanging helps increase height as it is an anti-gravity exercise. It also can strengthen the different parts of your body. But doing it right is key. In the following infographic, we have listed the important factors to consider while doing hanging exercises. Take a look.
It is known that the height of an individual is majorly dependent on their genes. That said, does hanging help increase height? In reality, it may help to a certain extent. Hanging exercises help defy gravity and exhibit a positive impact on the height of an individual. A good set of horizontal bars is a must-have for hanging. Also, bending your knees a little helps elongate your body. You can limit hanging to 2 to 3 minutes at a time.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does hanging increase height after 21 years?
No. There is no evidence to support that hanging may increase height after 21 years.
How many times should we hang to increase height?
Practice hanging exercise for about 30 seconds continuously and perform 2-3 repetitions of the same. However, the duration of the hanging exercise depends on personal stamina. Also, hanging exercises may not increase one’s height after they cross certain age.
Can I grow 5 cm after 18?
No, you cannot grow 5 cm after 18 as increasing your height after this age is not possible due to the closure of the growth plates in bones (4). However, a slight linear growth may be possible for men up to the age of 20.
Can hanging be used as a standalone method for height increase, or should it be used in conjunction with other methods?
No, you must also follow a balanced diet, stay hydrated and active, get adequate sleep, and practice good posture. Anecdotal evidence suggests that practicing yoga under the guidance of an expert may help you increase your height.
- Hanging is a simple strenuous exercise believed to help increase height.
- It involves hanging from a bar and stretching the entire body, which can also improve flexibility and posture.
- Hanging every day for 3 to 4 minutes can help increase height by stretching the spine and the muscles.
- To minimize the risk of injury, hanging should be performed strictly under the supervision of a trained professional.
Curious about the connection between hanging and height? Watch the video to unveil the truth and find out if this exercise can really make you taller.
Articles on StyleCraze are backed by verified information from peer-reviewed and academic research papers, reputed organizations, research institutions, and medical associations to ensure accuracy and relevance. Read our editorial policy to learn more.
- Is height determined by genetics?
- Increasing Height through Diet
Exercise and Lifestyle Adjustment
- DIURNAL VARIATION OF HEIGHT IN SOUTH INDIAN ADOLESCENT SUBJECTS
- The Biology of Stature