The feeling of freshly dyed hair is a great one. The confidence that you get from simply changing your hair color cannot be described in words. And since you have spent hours and hundreds of dollars on updating your look, you must want it to last as long as possible.
However, our activities right after dyeing our hair may jeopardize our own hair color. If you want your hair color to last longer, there are lots of changes that you need to make in your daily routine as well as your hair care routine. From changing your regular shampoo to avoiding the sun, there are some crucial precautions that you should take to keep your colored hair safe. In this article, we will discuss all this and some more.
But, the most important question that you may have asked yourself right after dyeing your hair is – how long should you wait till you wash your hair again? Keep on reading to find out the answer.
Table Of Contents
How Long Should You Wait To Wash Your Hair After Coloring It?
The most common dilemma you may have had after dyeing your hair is, how long till the next hair wash? Many hair experts say that it is best not to wash your hair for at least 2-3 days after dyeing it. This 3-day window will give the hair dye to set properly in your hair. Since washing off the hair dye is part of the dyeing process, you will not have to worry about your hair getting dirty.
So, wait for a couple of days before washing your hair. It is also best to avoid any work that will make you sweat as sweating can also wash the color off the hair.
Should You Wash Your Hair Before Coloring?
The natural oils present in your hair often protect your scalp during the dyeing process. Hence, avoid washing your hair before coloring it, especially if the dyeing process involves bleaching your hair. It is also good to follow the instructions given on the particular dye you are using.
Now, let’s find out how to wash your hair after coloring it.
How Do You Wash Your Hair After Dying It?
- After dyeing your hair, it is necessary to take care of your hair to make the hair color last longer. It is recommended to wash your hair once or twice a week instead of every day.
- Another disadvantage of washing your hair every day is that it strips away the natural oils produced by your scalp that keep your hair and scalp moisturized, fresh, and healthy. That is why dry shampoo is a great way to get rid of the dirt and grease in your hair between washes.
- Another thing to remember is to avoid using regular shampoo and conditioner on your hair. Colored hair needs color-safe products that are specifically formulated to keep it moisturized and prevent the hair color from fading.
Wondering if you should use hot or cold water to wash your hair? Find out in the next section.
Do Hot Showers Make Your Hair Color Less Vibrant?
Yes, hot water can make your hair color less vibrant. Hot water opens up the hair cuticle, which results in the color leaching out and making your hair look dull. On the other hand, cold water helps in sealing the cuticle. Hence, using cold water to wash your hair is a great way to protect colored hair. If you want to take a hot shower, wear a shower cap to protect your hair from the hot water.
As we mentioned earlier, colored hair requires color-safe products. Find out more about them in the next section.
What Products Are The Best To Use On Dyed Hair?
After dyeing your hair, you should stop using your regular hair products. Colored hair needs products that are formulated specifically for it. This is because during the dyeing process, your hair cuticle gets damaged due to the chemicals. Color-safe products are formulated with ingredients that repair the surface of the hair while preventing the hair color from losing its vibrancy.
Hence, pick products that not only will protect your hair color but also nourish your tresses and add shine to them.
Another must-have product alongside a color-safe shampoo and conditioner is a moisturizing hair mask. The chemicals from the dye may leave your hair looking dry. A moisturizing hair mask will nourish your hair and make it soft and smooth. A moisturizing mask will also give it a high-shine finish.
You also need to avoid a few things when it comes to colored hair. Find out more in the next section.
What To Avoid
- Stay Away From The Sun: The UV rays of the sun strip away the color from your hair. Hence, you should avoid staying in direct sunlight for a long time. In addition to that, using a hair sunscreen that is specifically formulated for your hair is also helpful in lessening the damage caused by the sun. You can also wear a hat to stay safe from the sun.
- Avoid Chemicals: Since your hair goes is exposed to chemicals while dyeing it, it is best to avoid exposing your hair to more chemicals. Using alcohol-based hairsprays or blow-drying your hair can make your hair color fade quickly.
- Avoid Chlorine: Chlorine is a popular bleaching agent that can damage your colored hair. Hence, you should avoid chlorinated pool water at all costs. If you have blonde hair, chlorine can turn it green, while darker hair will lose its shine and become dull.
- Rough Drying: Many of us have a habit of drying our hair roughly with a terrycloth towel. However, this hard scrubbing may make the hair color fade more quickly. Additionally, it makes your hair ends look dry. Hence, gently pat your hair with a microfiber towel and allow it to air-dry.
- Avoid Heat Styling Products: Colored hair is sensitive to heat. Overuse of heat styling tools like a straightener or curling on colored hair can fry it. Hence, avoid using heat styling products regularly. If you absolutely must use them, apply a heat protectant spray to keep your hair safe.
Changing your hair color is one of the best feelings in the world. But, you need to make sure that you wait 2-3 days after dyeing it to wash it. Also, you must only wash it once or twice a week to preserve the vibrancy of your hair color. We hope that the tips in this article help you keep your hair looking vibrant, fresh, and shiny!
- 18 Tips To Take Care Of Your Colored Hair
- Best Hair Wash Tips To Wash Your Hair The Right Way – Our Top 10 Tips
- How To Remove Hair Color Stains From The Skin Easily And Safely
- 10 Best Products To Use For Colouring Hair At Home for 2020