Good question! Scientists agree that cutting carbs (and not healthy fats) can help you lose weight (1). But not all carbs are bad. In fact, they are one of the building blocks and energy providers for the brain and body. So, to lose weight, you must avoid a certain type of carb. Also, depending on your body type, age, activity level, and metabolism, you have to fine tune the number of carbs you can eat per day to lose weight. How can you do that? Give this post a read to find out how many carbs should you eat per day to lose weight. Swipe up!
Why Do You Need To Consume Fewer Carbs?
You need to consume fewer carbs to lose weight and protect yourself from all obesity-related diseases, such as diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, depression, cancer, and insulin resistance (2), (3). According to WHO, about 1.9 billion adults are overweight, and about 950 million adults are obese (4). So, why are so many people overweight or obese?
Well, it can be the genes and/or an unhealthy lifestyle. Consuming high-carb foods, such as burger, pizza, fries, sugary foods, high-sodium foods, bread, and pasta, over a prolonged period with little or no exercise are the main reasons for weight gain. Once you start avoiding these foods, you will start to lose weight without exercising.
Now, at the beginning of this article, I mentioned that except for a certain type of carbs, carbs are actually good for you and should not be avoided completely. So, for your understanding, let me tell you which ones you can consume and why.
Are Carbs Bad Or Good?
Both. Depending on which type of carb you choose, and how much you consume.
Carbs are of two types – simple and complex. Simple carbs are the dangerous ones – bread, pasta, sugary foods, pizza, fried foods, etc. These carbs are quickly digested and absorbed by the body, leading to a spike in blood glucose and insulin levels. Since junk food tastes good, people often overeat simple carbs. Over a period, this leads to weight gain and other diseases.
Complex carbs are high in dietary fiber and good for you. Foods like veggies, fruits (with peel and pulp), whole grains, nuts, and seeds are complex carbs and rich sources of dietary fiber. Dietary fiber encapsulates the fat molecules, preventing their absorption in the body. They also form a gel-like layer in the stomach, slowing down digestion and absorption, thereby regulating the blood glucose and insulin levels. And finally, dietary fiber also helps improve the number and variety of good gut bacteria and bulks up the stool. This improves digestion and prevents constipation.
Now, let’s see how much of carbs should you consume per day to lose weight. Scroll down.
How Many Carbs Should You Eat Per Day To Lose Weight?
As per the Dietary Guidelines for Americans (2015-2010), the carbs you consume must be 45-65% of your daily calorie intake (5). So, if you are in your mid-20s and lightly active, you must consume about 1500-1800 calories per day to lose weight, and your carb intake should range between 168-292g (6).
Also, remember, your friend’s low-carb diet might not be low-carb for you. The age, height, weight, medical issues, metabolism, current medications, and lifestyle of any two individuals are not the same. So, you have to customize your carb intake depending on all the weight loss factors. How do you decide how many carbs you can consume? Check out the list below.
Low-Carb Diet Guidelines
1. For All
Avoid all simple and unhealthy carbs.
2. People Who Are Active & Lean
Consume 100-150 grams of good carbs per day. With this amount, you will be able to maintain a healthy weight. Here’s how many carbs you can have:
- 4-5 servings of 5 different veggies.
- 4 servings of 3 different fruits.
- Moderate amounts of sweet potato, potato with skin, millets, oats, rice, etc.
3. People Who Want To Lose Weight Without Working Out
Consume 50-100 grams of good carbs per day. It will help you lose weight without having to workout. Also, you will be able to maintain a healthy weight. Here’s how many carbs you should consume ideally:
- 4-5 servings of 5 different veggies.
- 2-3 servings of 3 different fruits.
- Minimum amounts of sweet potato, potato with skin, and brown rice.
4. People Suffering From Obesity And Obesity-Related Diseases
If you are obese and suffering from diabetes type 2, heart disease, and high blood pressure, you must consume only 20-50 grams of good carbs. Along with exercise and good eating habits, you will be able to lose the flab quickly. In addition to this, if you consume lean protein (chicken breast, tofu, mushroom, fish, soy chunks, legumes, etc.) and healthy fats (olive oil, ghee, nuts, seeds, sunflower butter, etc.), your body will start using the stored fat as fuel source. As a result, you will start losing the flab. Here are the carb sources you can consume:
- 3-4 servings of low-carb and low-GI vegetables.
- A few berries.
- Good carbs and healthy fats from nuts, seeds, avocado, etc.
NOTE: Everyone needs good/complex carbs. So, do not avoid them completely.
What happens to your body when you are on a low-carb diet? Of course, you lose weight. But how? Well, scroll down to know the interesting science behind the success of low-carb diets.
Science Behind The Low-Carb Diet
Carbs get broken down into sugar/glucose in your body. The hormone insulin carries the sugar molecules to the cells. And then, in the cells, the glucose is used to generate energy, which is required for all body functions. Now, when you are on a high-carb diet or consume too many simple carbs, your blood sugar and blood glucose levels rise, and over a period, you become insulin resistant, obese, and suffer from various diseases. If you follow a low-carb diet, three things happen:
- Your insulin and blood glucose levels go down, leading to active metabolism.
- Your body composition improves, i.e., you start shedding fat and building lean muscle mass.
- High insulin signals the kidneys to store sodium. And as a result, the body starts retaining water. A low-carb diet helps reduce the insulin levels, preventing the kidneys from storing salt. As a result, you start losing the water weight.
- Low-carb diets also help shed the most dangerous type of fat – abdominal fat.
- You become more active and energetic. Your lifestyle changes, and you lose weight.
Now, let’s take a look at the best carbs that you can consume to lose weight.
[ Read: 1300 Calorie Diet For Weight Loss ]
10 Best Carbs For Weight Loss
Pears are loaded with dietary fiber. One medium pear contains 30 grams of fiber. It helps improve satiety levels, stimulates the colon, and fills you up without loading up on calories.
2. Black Beans
These small beans are rich in protein and dietary fiber. A cup of black beans contains 29 grams of fiber.
3. Boiled Sweet Potato
One boiled sweet potato contains about 27 grams of dietary fiber. Remember, a boiled sweet potato has lower GI than baked sweet potato. So, if you want to consume sweet potato, consume boiled ones.
4. Green Peas
The vibrant green and sweet peas are a great source of good carbs. A cup of green peas contains 7 grams of dietary fiber. However, since they are on the sweeter side, avoid them if you are obese and suffering from diabetes type 2.
Oats are great for weight loss. And one of the reasons they are so good for you is their dietary fiber content. A cup of oats contains 17 grams of dietary fiber. Consume oats for breakfast or lunch so that you can keep your calorie intake low without compromising on the nutrients.
A cup of quinoa contains about 5 grams of dietary fiber. So, consume quinoa to improve your satiety levels, load up on dietary fiber, boost metabolism, and lose weight.
Chickpeas or garbanzo beans are also a great source of vegan/vegetarian protein as well as dietary fiber. One cup of chickpeas contains 35 grams of dietary fiber. Consume these in salads, curries, wraps, etc., to increase your good carb intake.
Lentils are, again, a great source of plant-based protein. These are also loaded with dietary fiber. A cup of mixed lentils contains about 15.6 grams of fiber. Make mixed lentil soup or add boiled lentils to salads.
This butter fruit is rich in vitamin E and dietary fiber. One avocado may contain 9-17 grams of dietary fiber, depending on its size. Consume avocado toast with eggs for breakfast or half an avocado as a snack to help prevent loading up on high-carb, zero-nutrition foods.
Peaches taste and look good. But did you know that they are also great sources of complex carbs (dietary fiber)? One peach contains about 2-5 grams of dietary fiber. But be careful with this one. This is a medium GI food and must be consumed in limited quantities, especially if you are obese or overweight.
So, these were the 10 fiber foods. If you want to know more about high-fiber foods for weight loss and a high-fiber diet chart, click here.
Now, apart from consuming good carbs, there are certain things that you MUST do to lose weight and prevent regaining it. What’s that? Find out next.
Lifestyle Changes To Lose Weight And Prevent Weight Gain
Talking about lifestyle is as important as talking about diet. Your diet is a part of your lifestyle. So, if you do not take care of the rest of it, you will not be able to sustain the weight loss. Here are a few necessary steps that you should take to lose weight and maintain the new weight:
- Exercise Regularly: You can go to the gym, swim, dance, or run. Do it to speed up the weight loss and be fit and healthy.
- Sleep On Time: Not getting enough sleep increases the stress levels, leading to weight gain.
- Avoid Snacking After Dinner: Late night snacking is the worst thing you can do to your body. You will not be able to lose the weight no matter how less you eat or exercise. So, give it up NOW!
- Meditate: It may seem impossible at the beginning to meditate. So, meditate for 30 seconds. Do it every day, and slowly, you will meditate for 30 minutes. It will help you relax and release all the negative emotions.
- Learn A New Skill: A sedentary lifestyle can make you prone to weight gain. So, plan your weekends and learn a new skill so that you do not sit idle or sleep all day.
- Cut Down On Sugar: Another killer simple carb. It is such an integral part of our tea and coffee conversations that it is very tough to give up. What you can do is slowly reduce the amount of sugar you consume.
A good diet and a good lifestyle are all you need to shed the extra pounds. Overweight and obesity are dangerous for your health and body. Take care of your body because it deserves to be loved by you. Talk to your doctor and decide on a plan, work toward it, and I am sure you are going to get great results and win against all the overweight and obesity battles. Take care!
Does High Protein Diet Help You Lose Weight?
1200 Calorie Diet Plan For Weight Loss – Benefits, Safety, And Foods To Eat & Avoid
12 Best Diets That Work For Weight Loss
The 1000 Calorie Diet Plan For Weight Loss
Latest posts by Charushila Biswas (see all)
- Are You Losing Weight Due To Stress? Here’s What To Do - April 4, 2019
- 8 Best MCT Oils You Will Love When You Are On A Keto Diet - March 29, 2019
- 10 Best Fitness Trackers/Fitness Bands You Won’t Regret Buying - March 29, 2019
- 12 Best Glute Exercises To Shape Up Your Buttocks - March 28, 2019
- How To Go Vegan In 10 Easy Steps - March 27, 2019