Bronzer is perhaps the easiest way to breathe some life into your skin. And nope, it’s not just a summer trend. When applied correctly and with the right tools, this magical product can give you a sun-kissed glow all year round. If you’re new to the makeup game, I bet you have a bazillion questions about application techniques, finishes, and the infinite bronzer shades out there. Don’t worry, we’ve got it all covered right here. Want to know more? Read on to find out how to apply bronzer to achieve that perfect touch of tan!
Why Use A Bronzer Anyway?
To all the gals who are wondering what’s special about the art of bronzing, let me tell you – it’s a massive game changer. While contouring is about enhancing your facial features, bronzing is all about adding a little warmth and glow to your face. It’s about making your skin look healthier. Get it? Now it’s time to learn how to apply bronzer.
How To Apply Bronzer The Right Way
There are a whole bunch of factors that can help you nail the bronzing technique. No matter what your face shape, here’s a basic rule you should follow when applying bronzer – focus on the areas of your face where the sun would naturally touch, like your cheekbones, forehead, and the bridge of your nose.
It’s a good idea to pick a bronzer that is not more than one or two shades darker than your natural skin tone. Using a bronzer that is more than two shades darker than your skin tone or too sparkly will make it look unnatural.
Let’s begin with our tutorial on how to use bronzer now, shall we?
What You Need
- Makeup brushes
How To Apply Bronzer– Step-By-Step Tutorial With Pictures
Step 1: Prep Your Skin
- Start off with a clean canvas by washing your face with a mild cleanser.
- Follow up with a toner and a lightweight moisturizer.
- Once the moisturizer gets absorbed into your skin, apply your favorite face primer.
[ Read: How To Apply Foundation Perfectly ]
Step 2: Do Your Base Makeup
- Apply foundation using a brush or a damp beauty sponge.
- Go in with some concealer if you need more coverage and if you want to cover any dark spots or blemishes.
- Lightly brush a tiny bit of powder on your face (using a powder-based color product on your face prevents the bronzer from sticking to your skin and becoming patchy).
Pro Tip: If you are a beginner, it’s best to stick with a powder-based bronzer as it is easier to blend and work with. A matte finish bronzer or one with minimal glitter is ideal for a beautiful daytime look.
Step 3: Apply Bronzer
- Use a bronzer brush to apply the product to the high points of your face (like your cheekbones, hairline, and temples).
- Sweep the brush across your cheekbones and temple area in a C-shaped motion.
- Add a little bit of contrast to the jawline for a more natural effect.
Pro Tip: If you want to apply bronzer on the bridge of your nose, do it extremely lightly as you don’t want the color to look too harsh.
[ Read: 10 Best Bronzers ]
Step 4: Add Some Highlighter And Blush
- Highlighting your face will create dimension – but you don’t want to overdo it. Highlight only your cheekbones with a product that isn’t too shimmery.
- For a finishing touch, apply some blush to the apples of your cheeks and blend the color in with the bronzer.
Here’s the final look!
Now that you have a fair picture of how to apply bronzer the right way, here are some tips and tricks that will come in handy.
Bronzer Tips And Tricks For The Best Sun-Kissed Effect
- “Swirl, tap and apply!” That should be your motto for powder-based bronzer. Tapping the product prevents the excess product from getting on your face.
- If you are using a cream or liquid formula, make sure you take it slow by applying the product in small amounts and gradually building it up.
- Skip the shimmery formulas because they tend to look anything but natural when you start to sweat (no matter what your skin type).
- Using the right brush will make a world of a difference. Choose a brush that is fluffy or an angled bronzer brush.
- Do NOT, under any circumstances, apply bronzer all over your face. It will leave your face looking muddy and dirty.
- When it comes to picking the right bronzer shade, it’s good to know what your skin’s undertone is. You can choose one with a more red-brown tone to it, or one with a more golden tone to it. However, never pick a bronzer that has an orange-y tinge as it looks unnatural on almost every skin tone.
- If your skin is dry, using a liquid bronzer is a terrible idea as it will pick up on any dry patches or flakiness. It also gets difficult to blend the product out. Instead, exfoliate your skin before applying makeup, follow up with a hydrating moisturizer, and apply bronzer right away. Yes! Apply your bronzer before your foundation or tinted moisturizer. This works like a charm!
Ladies, nothing can add radiance, warmth, and richness to sun-starved skin like a bronzer. It’s a real skin booster, isn’t it? That was our tutorial on how to apply bronzer. We hope this article helps you achieve the most flattering sun-kissed glow! Let us know what’s your holy-grail bronzer in the comments section below!
Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions
Can I use bronzer without foundation?
Yes. If you are happy with your skin condition and tone, you can skip the foundation. However, make sure to hydrate your skin with a moisturizer before going in with a bronzer.
Can I use bronzer as a blush?
No. Bronzer and blush serve two different purposes. However, combining the two is a great idea. Your blush adds a hint of natural flush to your cheeks, while your bronzer gives you a sun-kissed glow.
Do I apply bronzer before or after foundation?
The general rule is – foundation first, followed by bronzer, blush, and highlight.
What color bronzer is right for me?
If your skin has warm undertones, a golden brown shade will work like magic. For skin with cool or neutral undertones, use a bronzer that is not more than two shades darker than your natural skin tone. For yellow undertones, pick a warm peachy shade with a soft brown undertone.
- 15 Best Drugstore Bronzers
- 15 Best Highlighters
- 12 Best Drugstore Contour Kits
- Is Your Foundation Too Light? Here Are 8 Ways To Fix It!
Latest posts by Esha Saxena (see all)
- The Top 10 Jobs Dominated By Women - May 3, 2019
- What Is The ‘Glass Ceiling’ And How To Break It - April 10, 2019
- All You Need To Know About Gender Equity - April 3, 2019
- All You Need To Know About Matriarchy - March 29, 2019
- 35 Inspiring Leadership Quotes From Powerful Women - March 27, 2019