If you are tired of your fading lip shades and wondering how to make your lipstick last longer, we have some simple tips and tricks for you to try.
A single stroke of lipstick is not enough. A little prep and moisturization before application, knowing how to draw a good lip liner, and setting a firm base are equally important to ensure your fave shade remains smooth and fresh. Take a look below for helpful tips!
- Regular Lip Care: Exfoliate your lips twice a week to remove dry skin and ensure a smooth canvas for even and long-lasting lipstick application.
- Prep: Use a lip primer following a hydrating balm and before any other step. This will keep the rest of the layers together.
- Blot: Blot your first coat of lipstick until just a stain remains. Apply a second coat for a more pigmented and lasting finish.
- Setting Powder: Apply translucent or setting powder for a matte finish and increase the staying power of your lipstick.
In This Article
Why Use A Foundation For Your Lipstick
- Applying a foundation on the lips will help your lip colour stay in place and not smudge easily.
- Alternatively, if you are using a concealer on your skin, use it on your lips too.
- Using a foundation or concealer on your lips will ensure that the color stays put for long and is transfer-proof. It will also give more color payoff to your lipstick.
Some Issues While Applying Foundation On Your Lips
There can, however, be a little makeup glitches while you are applying a foundation on your lips. Here are the most common ones that you may face:
- The foundation can start to look blotchy on your lips
- Those with cracked or very dry lips can face a lot of problems while applying foundation on the lips as this will make your cracks prominent.
Proper foundation application techniques will ensure you do not face the above problems. The end result will be professional and your makeup will last much longer.
Things you will need for applying a foundation on the lips
- An old toothbrush or you regular tooth brush
- A bowl of warm water
- Lip Balm
- Your Concealer
- Your Foundation
- A lip brush
- Your regular lip liner, lipstick and gloss
Step 1: Removing the dead skin from the lips
The perfect makeup looks begin with proper skin care. Even for lip makeup, ensure your lip care routine is in place, which begins with weekly exfoliation. Once all the dead skin is removed from your lips, your lipstick will glide along smoothly and have a beautiful satin finish. If you do not have a store-bought lip scrub, you can exfoliate with the following method:
- Dip your used toothbrush into warm water for 2 minutes to make it softer.
- Use only a used tooth brush, preferably the toothbrush that you are using on a daily basis.
- You must not use a hard or a new toothbrush because it will only erode the skin surface much more. A hard toothbrush will make your lip’s skin even more dry and painful later on.
- Use the toothbrush or a lip scrub on your lips gently in circular motions to get rid of all the dry skin flakes.
Step 2: Hydrating your lips
- Apply a lip balm generously and massage well.
- Let it sit for some time before applying any other product
- A great way to keep your lips nourished is by regularly applying a good lip balm each night before going to bed.
Use a rich and creamy lip balm instead of a glossy one. Look for moisturizing ingredients like shea butter, hemp butter or hemp seed oil, and cocoa butter.
Step 3: Prepping the base with a primer
The longevity of any makeup product is determined by the base it is applied on. Apply a thin layer of lip primer evenly across your lips and let it dry for a minute before the next step. This will increase the stay of your lipstick and also form a uniform base for application.
Step 4: Concealing and blending
- Apply your concealer on the lips
- Using your fingers, properly blend it.
Step 5: Applying foundation on the lower lips
- Use your foundation with the help of your lip brush
- Apply it in small dots on the lower lips. This will give you more precision in applying foundation. It will also make sure that you do not go overboard, which usually happens when you apply foundation on the lips with your fingers.
Step 6: Applying foundation on the upper lips
- Follow the same procedure for your upper lips.
Step 7: Blending
- Very carefully blend in the foundation so that it covers the entire area on your lips.
- Blending should be done with gentle hands and not harshly using circular motions.
- Pat it in lightly.
- Do the same as you move from one corner of the lips to the other
Step 8: Concentrate on the cupid’s arrow
- Carefully blend well with the cupid’s arrow or the “V” of the lips.
- Do not go overboard.
- Make sure your movements are light so that the product does not get wiped off.
Step 9: Lip Liner
- Follow this with your normal lip liner application.
Now fill in your lips using your lip color.
How this helps
This procedure will help your lip color stay on longer and smudge less as the base of the foundation and concealer will hold in the product better.
Once you are done with this prepping procedure, proceed with applying your lip color as you regularly do. For a matte finish, use a blotting paper to get rid of excess lip stain and sheen.
You can use this procedure with lip gloss to make it a long-wearing product as well. This process will ensure that your lip color remains fade-resistant and looks fresh without any touch-ups throughout the day.
A blogger shared her tips for achieving long-lasting lipstick. She applied a thick layer of long-wearing lipstick, used two different lipstick colors for blending, left it on for some time, and then removed the excess lipstick with a tissue. She finished the look with a layer of lip balm, which surprisingly worked well for her. She mentioned, “I used this technique and worked for about 8 hours and it stayed on for that period, so I was really really shocked that it was actually effective (i).”
Infographic: 6 Tips To Make Your Lipstick Stay Longer
The above steps show how applying a foundation below your lip shade can help increase your lipstick’s payoff and stay. However, there are many more ways to ensure that you rock that flattering lip color the whole day. Check out the infographic below for more hacks to make your lipstick stay longer. Keep scrolling!
Life would be easier if applying lipstick was as straightforward as running a layer of lip balm over your lips. But if you want your lipstick to be consistent throughout the day, you must do a couple of things before applying it. This article tells you how to make your lipstick last longer by following some easy steps before applying your lipstick. All you need is an additional concealer and a foundation. This hack has a magically long-lasting effect, and you will be grateful for it. Try it out today!
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Vaseline make lipstick last longer?
Yes, applying vaseline on top of your lipstick can make it glossy and long-lasting.
Why does my lipstick rub off?
Lack of exfoliating your lips and not wiping off your lip balm before lipstick application may lead to rubbing off of the lipstick.
Can you use setting spray on lipstick?
Yes, you can use setting spray on your lipstick to make it long-lasting and prevent smudging.
Is there a lipstick sealer?
Yes, there are lipstick sealers that help seal the lipstick, giving you a smudge-proof and long-lasting look.
- Apply a thin layer of foundation or concealer to the lips before using lipstick to prevent smudging.
- Exfoliate and hydrate the lips before using lipstick. Use a lip balm every night to keep the lip hydrated.
- You can exfoliate your skin using a soft toothbrush or a lip scrub.
- Always use a matching lip liner before applying the lipstick.
Say goodbye to constant lipstick touch-ups! Learn a clever hack that will make your lipstick last all day in the following video.