When was the last time you cleaned your beauty blender? Probably you do not even remember! Well, let’s face it – cleaning makeup sponges often falls wayside even with the best intentions. But your grimy beauty blender can become a breeding ground for germs, mold, and bacteria without proper hygiene practices. Moreover, a dirty sponge will not work effectively. The layers of old foundation will affect the color of any products you are using. Therefore, it is essential to clean it regularly and prevent infection, skin damage, or breakouts. Here are a few easy hacks to clean your beauty blender without damaging it in the process. Scroll down to check them out.
In This Article
5 Easy Hacks To Clean A Beauty Blender
1. How To Clean A Beauty Blender In The Microwave
Microwave can effectively clean and disinfect your beauty blender by killing harmful bacteria. However, you have to follow the right steps. Otherwise, you might get an entirely different result. For instance, if you heat your beauty blender in the microwave for more than the stipulated time, it may burn or shrink.
- Wet your makeup sponge to hold its shape when heated.
- Dip the beauty blender in a cup of soapy water (regular hand or dish wash).
- Squeeze and rub the blender until fully saturated.
- Heat the cup in the microwave for 15-30 seconds.
- Wait for five minutes until the water cools. Use a pair of tongs to squeeze your blender and let the steam come out.
- Resqueeze the blender until water or gunk do not come out anymore.
- Put your makeup sponge in an open, cool place to air dry it.
2. How To Clean A Beauty Blender With Soap
This method involves the use of shampoo or regular hand or dish wash to clean your beauty blender. It does not shred the sponge but helps easily break down any product residue, such as concealer or foundation.
- Wet the blender and squeeze out excess water.
- Take a small amount of shampoo or gentle soap in a bowl.
- Scrub your makeup sponge in circles until there are suds.
- Rinse the blender thoroughly and squeeze out any excess soap or water.
- Dry it in the open. If you are in a rush, use a towel quickly soak up the excess moisture instead of putting it under running water.
3. How To Clean Beauty Blender With Coconut Oil
You need to clean your beauty blender every time you use it. And what is better than a few drops of coconut oil to make your go-to makeup sponge look good as new!
- Wet your beauty blender and squeeze out excess water.
- Apply oil to your makeup sponge and massage it until clean.
- Rinse with water and squeeze out the excess moisture.
- Wash off any extra oil with warm water and let the beauty blender sit for a few minutes.
- Allow it to air dry in a cool place or use a towel to soak up the excess moisture.
4. How To Clean Your Beauty Blender With Olive Oil
The following cleaning method with olive oil will help you eliminate stubborn stains, dirt, gunk, and product residue from your beauty blender.
- Rub a small amount of olive oil between your palms until warm.
- Massage the warm oil onto the beauty blender with gentle pressure to clean out any dirt or debris.
- Rinse it with water and squeeze out extra oil.
- Dry the beauty blender with a towel or let it air dry.
5. How To Clean A Beauty Blender With Cleanser
Wash your beauty blender with a cleanser without ruining it. You will get a squeaky clean result, and your sponge will be free of stain, dirt, oils, bacteria, and germs.
- Wet the beauty blender and gently rub it with some cleanser until you see bubbles.
- Continue doing this until it is clean.
- Rinse the foam with water and squeeze out any dampness with a towel.
- Lay your beauty blender on a towel to air dry.
The next section will answer a few queries about the maintenance and durability of beauty blenders.
How Often Should You Clean A Beauty Blender?
The frequency of cleaning the beauty blender depends on how often you use it. For instance, if you wear makeup daily, try to wash your beauty blender after every use so that the germs do not build up and cause breakouts or irritate your skin.
However, if you do not wear makeup regularly, try to clean your beauty blender every two-three days to prevent bacterial growth and dirt accumulation. Beauty blenders should be cleaned regularly to keep your skin safe and healthy.
When To Replace Your Beauty Blender
If your blender has a rough usage every day, starts looking old, or the sponge is disintegrating, it is time to replace it. Depending on how often you use them, the sponges starts to develop cracks after about three months. If you are cleaning your beauty blender every week but using it a couple of times a month, it might last up to a year.
The beauty blender is one of the most popular makeup tools, but many people do not know how to clean it the right way. Cleaning it is extremely important to prevent the buildup of dirt and germs, infections, or skin damage. Follow the steps mentioned above to keep your beauty blender hygienic and long-lasting.
Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions
Can I clean my beauty blender with shampoo?
No. Use a gentle cleanser or olive oil to clean your blender because anything else might leave traces of chemicals and residue. Once your blender dries, shampoo residues can cause breakouts or irritate the skin.
Why does my beauty blender have black dots?
If you notice black dots on your blender, it indicates you need to clean your makeup sponge. Germs, bacteria, or mold usually cause the black dots.
Can dirty beauty blenders cause acne?
Yes, if you do not clean your makeup sponges regularly, they become breeding grounds for bacteria and germs and will cause acne and irritate the skin.
- How To Use A Beauty Blender
- 19 Best Makeup Brush Cleaners Of 2021 – Reviews And Buying Guide
- The Ultimate Guide To Makeup Brushes – Different Types And Their Uses
- How To Apply Makeup Like A Pro