Not all of us have enough time to go to a salon for a facial. How about bringing the spa to your home by trying some homemade fruit facials that leave your skin healthy and beautiful. In this article, we list the fruits that suit best for a fruit facial. We also have included a step-by-step tutorial on how to do a fruit facial right at the comfort of your own home. Read to know more!
Table Of Contents
Fruits To Use For Facials
- Grapefruit: Grapefruit extracts used in cosmetic products were found to improve skin hydration and lighten the skin (1). Grapefruit is also said to help boost skin shine and texture.
- Grapes: Grapes have a high antioxidant content that protects the skin from oxidative stress and damage (2). Antioxidants protect the skin from ultraviolet radiation. They also may help treat skin infections and disorders.
- Fig: In a study, a cream containing fig extracts was found to reduce epidermal loss and balance skin’s hydration and sebum content (3). Figs may also help reduce hyperpigmentation, acne, freckles, and wrinkles.
- Papaya: Papaya contains vitamins A, C, and E known for their antioxidant properties. Antioxidants protect the skin barrier function and reduce any signs of aging (4).
- Raspberry: Raspberry extract shows good antioxidant activity and can help reduce free radicals that cause wrinkles and other signs of aging (5).
- Apple: Apples contain alpha-hydroxy acids and polyphenolic compounds that help smoothen rough and dry skin and stimulate cell renewal (6). They lighten age spots and reduce wrinkles and blemishes.
- Banana: Bananas soothe skin inflammation and irritation. When used with fullers earth, they can also help cleanse the pores and remove any dirt and product residue (7).
- Strawberry: Strawberries contain polyphenols, vitamins, and antioxidants. These antioxidants protect skin from UV damage that may otherwise increase the risk of premature aging and cancer (8).
- Tomato: Tomatoes contain lycopene, a powerful antioxidant (9). This antioxidant can defend the skin against UV damage.
- Lemon: Lemons have anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties (10). It is best used to treat acne on oily or combination skin. It also increases collagen production, which improves skin smoothness and texture. It also has anti-aging properties and may reduce wrinkles.
- Cucumber: Cucumbers are known for their cooling, soothing, and healing properties (11). Their antioxidant properties may reduce the effects of wrinkles and sunburn.
- Honey: Honey contains amino acids, proteins, and vitamins that may benefit skin health. It is a humectant known for its anti-aging properties. It reduces the visibility of wrinkles and blemishes. It also regulates skin pH levels (12).
- Milk: Research indicates that ingesting fermented milk may make skin clearer (13). Milk is often added to personal care products as a conditioning agent (14). Anecdotal evidence also suggests that milk may improve skin radiance.
- Yogurt: Probiotics like yogurt are used to treat acne and rosacea. They also can be used to protect the skin from aging and photodamage (15).
- Oatmeal: Oatmeal has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Its antioxidant properties may reduce the signs of premature aging, while its anti-inflammatory properties may help treat pruritus and dermatitis (16).
Scroll down for a step-by-step guide on how to try a fruit facial at home!
How To Do A Fruit Facial At Home: A Step-By-Step Guide
Step 1: Cleansing
- The first step is to clean your face thoroughly.
- While you can wash the face with a mild soap, we suggest using cold raw milk in a cotton ball to wipe off all the impurities. Milk is great as a cleanser and is totally natural, so there are no harsh chemicals.
- Use the cotton ball in a circular motion to cleanse the skin.
- After cleansing, wash the face with lukewarm water. Milk helps to remove dirt and grime from the pores and adds an instant shine.
Step 2: Exfoliating
- The next step for a good fruit facial is to exfoliate.
- For this, you will need 1 tablespoon of oatmeal and 1 tablespoon of lemon peel powder or dried lemon peel.
- Add the two together and make a paste by adding a bit of rose water/plain water.
- Alternatively, you can also use a mixer to make the paste.
- Take lemon peels, add a bit of water to them, and use the mixer to make it into a pulp.
- Then add the oatmeal to it to make the paste.
- After the paste is ready, apply it all over your face using your fingers in a circular motion.
- Use the paste on your neck area also.
- Exfoliate for 2-5 minutes using the scrub and then wash off with lukewarm water.
- Pat dry the face.
Here are some alternative ingredients for making a scrub at home.
- Mix yogurt and oatmeal
- Mix oatmeal and milk
- Mix baking soda and water
Step 3: Lightening
- Rub some honey on your skin to help it lighten a bit.
- Honey acts as bleach and helps to lighten skin tone.
- Wash it off after 10 minutes.
Step 4: Opening up pores
- Boil a pan of hot water and use it to steam your face.
- Let the water stand for 5 minutes and lean over with a towel to keep the steam in.
- This will open the pores on your skin.
Step 5: Fruit Facial
- Take a ripe tomato and mash it into a paste and add some drops of lemon to it.
- Keep the mixture in a refrigerator for 20-30 minutes and take it out.
- Add a teaspoon of honey to it.
- Apply this mixture to your face and neck.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes and rinse off with water.
- Alternatively, mash a ripe banana, and add some lemon juice and a teaspoon of honey. Mix well and apply to the skin. Leave it on for 15 minutes.
Step 6: Nourish and Moisturize
- Take a cucumber and make a paste of it.
- Apply this paste over the face and the neck area.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes and rinse off with cold water.
- Pat dry, and your home fruit facial is done.
- You may need to follow up with a moisturizer.
If you have dry skin, you can pair fruits with moisturizing ingredients like glycerin, coconut oil, or aloe vera. If you have oily or combination skin, pair fruits with essential oils like rosemary or peppermint.
Here are a few things to keep in mind before you start your fruit facial.
What To Do Before And After A Fruit Facial
- Before The Facial: Make sure your skin is clean. Wash your face with a face wash, and use a cleanser to thoroughly cleanse your skin. Make sure to remove all the makeup, if you have it on, from your skin. You can also apply a light or mild moisturizer. If you have acne-prone skin, make sure the moisturizer is water-based and not cream- or oil-based.
- After The Facial: Wash your face and pat it dry. Do not rub your face as it may cause redness and undo the effects of the facial. Lie down and relax, allowing your skin to breathe after the facial. This also gives time for the facial ingredients to work on the skin.
Now you know how beneficial a fruit facial can be! These DIY masks will help rejuvenate your skin. You will notice an improvement in skin texture, tone, and shine. Try them today, and you will only thank yourself. But should you be allergic to any of the ingredients, stop use and consult your doctor.
- 11 Must-Try Easy Homemade Pomegranate Face Packs
- How To Do A Facial At Home: Simple Steps
- 9 DIY Fruit Face Masks For Glowing Skin
- Give Yourself A Gold Facial At Home!
Latest posts by Anjali Sayee (see all)
- Sunken Eyes: Causes, Remedies, And Prevention Tips - March 31, 2021
- Hazelnut Oil For Skin: Benefits And How To Use - March 26, 2021
- Everything To Know About Hair Loss: Types, Causes, Symptoms, And Treatments - March 24, 2021
- Scalp Problems: Types, Causes, Symptoms, and Treatments - March 24, 2021
- Safflower Oil For Skin: Benefits, Usage, And Side Effects - March 22, 2021