A common problem most of us with long hair face is deciding whether to tie our hair in an updo or leave it down. We bring the perfect middle ground with a half bun hairstyle!
Every morning we stand in front of our mirrors, spending time holding our hair up and down, trying to figure out which way does it look better. Of course, we loved that top knot, but natural loose hair looks incredible too. So, give yourself the best of both worlds with a half bun or a half top-knot. This hairstyle takes barely five minutes to achieve. And whether you like it messy or sleek tight, it is sure to win over hearts. Not to mention that it is perfect for any occasion – a simple picnic at the park, business meeting, or meeting your boyfriend’s family for the first time! It might also give you celebrity vibes as many celebrities have sported this hairstyle on the red carpet.
You might be wondering what goes into achieving this look. Does it require a straightener, some mousse, or maybe rollers? NO! All you need are some bobby pins and a hair tie! This half bun is perfect for people with thick hair who cannot leave their hair down in the sweltering heat. And it is godsent for people with thin hair who cannot tie their hair up because it looks flimsy and volumeless. Scroll down for a step-by-step tutorial on how to tie your hair in a lovely half bun. Keep reading for more information.
What You Need
- A wide toothed comb: Everyone should invest in a wide toothed comb because it is a must-have tool for your hair care. It detangles your hair in the gentlest way possible and retains its volume. (As opposed to a fine toothed comb that sleeks your hair down).
- Hair wax: To add shine and natural volume to your hair.
- Sea salt spray: Sea salt spray adds a touch of beachy texture to your hair in the most natural and effortless way possible.
- A hair elastic: Get one that matches your hair color to add a seamless finish to your hairdo.
- A 1-inch curling iron: Because we all need some bouncy curls in our lives.
- Bobby pins: Go for big hair pins if your hair is thick and small ones if you have fine textured hair.
- Light hold hairspray: If you want your half up bun to actually stay up through the day, you need to get yourself a bottle of a light hold hairspray ASAP.
- The half bun hairstyle is perfect for angular face shapes like a triangular and an inverted triangular face shape.
- You can go both sleek and messy with a half bun and still look great.
- You can apply sea salt spray on your hair to make your mane look fresh after tying it in a half bun.
In This Article
How To Do A Perfect Half Bun Hairstyle?
Now that you’ve gathered all the necessary tools, let’s jump right in to perfecting your half bun!
- Detangle your hair with a wide toothed comb: Let’s start off with the most basic thing you need to do before starting any hairstyle. Remove all the knots and tangles from your hair with the help of a wide toothed comb. A wide toothed comb will retain the volume of your hair and leave it nice and bouncy! To give your hair more volume, apply some hair wax or hair pomade on your hair before styling.
- Spritz on some sea salt spray all over your hair: Add some texture and dimension to your hair by spritzing on some sea salt spray all over your hair. This will also give it some hold, which will help keep your half bun in place and prevent it from drooping as the day progresses. You can also apply hair gel to hold your hair in place while it is still damp from the spray.
- Tie half of your hair into a ponytail: Now, create the foundation of your hairstyle by gathering half of your hair (between your left and right temples) and tying it into a ponytail with a hair elastic. This is the base that you will use to make your half bun. Licensed cosmetologist Dawna Jarvis recommends using a thin and clear elastic band for those with fine hair.
- Curl, curl, curl that half ponytail: Now, don’t just leave your half ponytail lankily hanging over there! Bust out that curling iron and curl your ponytail to add more bounce and oomph to it. The curls will work wonders on your half bun once it’s done.
- Roll and pin up sections of your half ponytail: Divide your half ponytail into 3 equal sections. Twirl and roll up the first section into a mini bun and secure it to your head, near the base of your ponytail, with help of a couple of bobby pins. Repeat the same with the other two sections of your ponytail.
- Tug and mess around the bun to complete the look: Put your nifty fingers to some good use and tug some pieces of hair out of your bun to make it look edgy and cool. Be careful, though! Don’t tug so hard that the whole bun just falls apart!
- Finish the look with some light hold spray: Now that your half bun is done and dusted, there’s just one last thing left to do. Spritz on some light hold hair spray to set the hairstyle in place. Finished!!!
Aaaand you’re done! Dawna Jarvis leaves us with a word of advice saying, “Keep some bobby pins close by to easily fix any flyaways.” I dare you to time yourself doing this hairstyle and see how long it takes. There is no way that it will take more than 2 minutes. Will give you all the more time for your makeup!
Infographic: A Step-By-Step Guide To Do A Perfect Half Bun
If you love experimenting with your hair and want to nail your next look, try the chic and boho half-bun hairdo. It is perfect for any casual outing and looks attractive. We have simplified the process further and explained it in a step-by-step guide. Check out the infographic below to learn more.
A half-bun hairstyle can be elegant for a formal event or a late-night party. You can also make it sleek and tight for those high-profile business meetings. And it is super easy to achieve, even if you are new to DIY hairstyling. The more you practice this Instagram-famous half bun hairdo, you will be able to add your creativity and make the hairstyle on your own. You can add hair accessories like scarves, hair bands, or hair clips to add oomph to your half bun style. And it looks amazing on all hair types! Do not believe us? Try it out for yourself.
Frequently Asked Questions
What inspired the creation of the half-bun hairstyle?
It is believed that the half bun beauty statement may have been inspired by the topknots sumo wrestlers’ sport or ancient Chinese women who sported a bun on the top of the head as a sign of being married.
Are there different variations of the half-bun hairstyle?
Half up half down bun, braided half bun, and sleek half bun are a few trendy variations of this hairstyle that can be personalized in accordance with one’s hair type or face shape.
Can the half bun be worn by people with different hair textures and lengths?
Yes, it is a versatile hairstyle that can be adapted to suit a variety of hair types, textures, and lengths
What are the best hairstyles to pair with the half bun for a complete look?
The half bun can be paired with loose waves, a side braid, a sleek ponytail, a top knot, and a half-up, half-down hairstyle for a complete and stylish look.
Can the half bun be dressed up for formal events or is it mostly seen as a casual look?
While the half bun is mostly seen as a casual hairstyle, it can be customized according to your fashion sense and styled to be more suitable for formal events. The key is to choose the right styling techniques, add volumizing products, and accessorize with jeweled accessories to create a more polished and elegant look.
HOW TO DO A SUPER EASY AND FAST HALF BUN HAIRSTYLE
Learn how to get the perfect half-bun hairstyle in minutes from the video below. This easy and simple hairstyle is perfect for everyday wear.