How To Dye Your Dark Hair Purple Without Bleaching It
Know how to change your hair color and transform your look with a step-by-step guide.
Do you want to look different and try a new hair color? Just dye your dark hair purple. All shades of purple, be it pastel balayage or a deep and dusty shade, can make your hair look just great. A gorgeous hair can surely up your beauty quotient by several notches.
So, can you dye your hair purple without bleaching it? Of course, yes. You can color your locks in any purple shade without using bleaches and lighteners. In this article, we have listed some pro tips that can help you in this process. Take a look!
In This Article
Can Dark Hair Be Dyed Purple Without Bleaching?
Yes. Dark hair can be dyed purple without bleaching.
Several brands manufacture hair colors that do not require bleaching for a good color payoff. You also need to follow the right coloring method to achieve that perfect purple hair without bleach. If you are determined to add a splash of purple to your strands, find out what you need to get that in the next section.
Getting Purple Hair Without Bleaching
Firstly, you will need the right hair color. There are three types of hair colors to choose from:
- Permanent Hair Colors: These colors contain ammonia that lightens or bleaches the hair to create a blank canvas for the dye to work. Ammonia can dry out your hair and damage the strands. Moreover, a lot of permanent hair dyes require pre-bleached hair.
- Semi-permanent Hair Colors: These penetrate the hair partially. Semi-permanent dyes do not lighten dark hair, contain little to no ammonia, and are not as harsh. However, due to their less permeability, they do not stay for long. A semi-permanent dye will only last for 3-6 shampoo washes. This is an ideal, less damaging option if you want to try different shades of purple on dark hair without bleaching.
- Demi-permanent Hair Colors: These colors contain an alkaline agent instead of ammonia. They also require a developer that helps the color penetrate the hair shafts. Since they do not lighten the natural hair color, you get a more uniform finish. Demi-permanent hair colors last longer than semi-permanent colors (20-28 shampoo washes) with minimum damage.
You can choose either semi or demi-permanent hair colors for dyeing your dark hair. Here are the things you may need for hair coloring.
Things You Need To Dye Dark Hair Purple Without Bleach
For Prepping Your Hair
- Clarifying Shampoo: This will rid the hair of any stubborn styling products or scalp build-up.
- Hydrating Conditioner: Clarifying shampoo can be too harsh. Follow up with a hydrating conditioner to nourish the hair strands.
For The Color
- Your choice of product: Choose from semi-permanent or demi-permanent colors.
- Hair clips: You will need a handful of them to part your hair.
- Gloves: A disposable pair of gloves will prevent staining your fingers.
- Shower cap or plastic bag: To cover colored hair.
- An old tee: This will prevent staining your clothes.
- Timer: Any device with which you can keep track of the time.
For The Aftercare
- Conditioner: Choose a conditioner that is suited for colored hair.
- Heat protectant: If you plan on heat-styling the hair, don’t forget to use a heat protectant.
Assemble all these and follow the steps mentioned in the next section to color your hair.
Steps To Dye Dark Hair Purple Without Bleach
- Pick A Shade Of Purple: Pick a shade that complements your skin tone.
- Prep Your Hair: Wash your hair thoroughly a few days before coloring. Avoid washing it just before coloring to prevent stripping the natural oils. This will ensure less damage.
- Part The Hair: Part your hair into four sections with the clips. The more sections, the easier it is to handle. Don’t forget to wear an old tee.
- Mix The Product: Follow the instructions on the package and mix the color solution in the given ratio. If it is for direct application, take the product out in a bowl.
- Apply It To The Hair Sections: Ensure that all the strands are well coated. If you plan to cover the whole head, take tiny sections to ensure no strand is left out. Use multiple mirrors to check all sides of your head.
- Set The Time: After applying the product, cover the head with a plastic cover or a shower cap. Set the waiting time as recommended by the manufacturer. Usually, it takes a minimum of 20-30 minutes for the color to set.
- Wash The Product Off: Wash the color off with regular water. Do not shampoo. Instead, apply a conditioner to protect the color.
- Dry The Hair: Let your hair dry. Do not use heat immediately. Apply a heat protectant if you must style it.
Here are a few dos and don’ts and the aftercare tips for maintaining the color.
Pro Tips While Coloring Dark Hair Purple Without Bleach
- Do A Patch Test: Always do a patch test to prevent any allergic reactions. This will also give an idea of how much time you have to keep the product on for achieving the perfect shade.
- Pre-Condition Your Hair: Even if the product claims to protect the hair from damage, it is best to pamper it with a deep conditioning treatment a few days before the dye session. This makes up for any moisture loss or damage.
- Use Color-Protecting Hair Products: Be it a shampoo, conditioner, styling gel, or spray, invest in a color-safe formula to maintain the color for longer.
- Avoid Frequent Hair Washes: If you want the color to stay for as long as possible, avoid washing the hair too often or going swimming. Do not use light-colored towels or clothes as well, at least for a few days after dyeing.
- Apply Petroleum Jelly To The Skin: Apply petroleum jelly around your neck and ears to prevent staining.
- Avoid The Sun: The UV rays can fade your gorgeous purple hair color. So, cover your head before stepping out in the sun.
One important thing to note is that the color payoff may vary, depending on the hair type, texture, and natural hair color. You may not get the same results shown on the packaging.
Infographic: Aftercare For Purple-Dyed Hair
Dyeing your hair purple makes for a vibrant look. However, purple hair dye tends to fade out more quickly than other hair colors, and you need proper aftercare to maintain it longer.
The following infographic gives information about the aftercare tips for purple-dyed hair. Check it out!
Dyeing your dark hair purple is a great way of elevating your look. Before you dye your hair without bleaching, it is important to know the type of hair color you want. Once you have selected that, make sure you buy the right products before opting for hair dyeing. Ensure you avoid frequent hair washes, use color-protecting hair products, and do a patch test to avoid any adverse reactions. Finally, follow the step-by-step guide mentioned in this article to dye your dark hair purple without bleaching safely.
Frequently Asked Questions
What colors can brunettes dye their hair without bleach?
Shades like deep violet, ruby, indigo give good color payoff without bleaching on brunette hair.
How do I maintain unbleached purple hair?
Avoid frequent washes, use color-safe products, and go for frequent touch-ups to maintain the color.
What shade of purple works best with dark hair?
It is best to find a shade that complements your skin tone. Subtle deep berry hues, warm plum, neon purple, deep sangria tint, and saturated purple shades will look good on dark hair.
Is purple hair hard to maintain?
Purple hair requires frequent touch-ups and careful maintenance if you want to make it last longer.
What other dye colors can I use with purple for my dark hair?
Blue and burgundy shades will look good with purple on dark hair. However, you may choose the color based on how warm or cool the purple in your hair is.
Which skin undertone goes well with purple?
Different shades of purple go well with different skin undertones. For example, bluish-purples and ashy lilacs go well on deep and cool skin tones while violet magenta and orchid look good on warm skin tones.
Why is dark hair so hard to dye?
Dark hair is hard to dye as it requires bleaching. The natural pigment of the hair should be removed to make the new color look good and shiny.
- Following the right coloring method will help you achieve the perfect purple without bleaching.
- You can choose either a permanent, semi-permanent, or demi-permanent hair color. However, permanent hair color might require pre-bleached hair.
- The color stays longer if you avoid frequent hair washes or swimming.