Why are love handles called “love” handles when everyone hates handling them? Well, I have no answer to that, but I can tell you how to get rid of love handles. Because, like belly fat, love handles (the extra flab right above your hip bone or on the sides of your waist) are like a clingy lover… err…fat. They pose serious health risks and are very difficult to get rid of. Whittling the love handles will make you look toned, define your silhouette, and improve your BMI. So, let’s get down to business and see how to get rid off the muffin tops. Swipe up!
Why Do You Get Love Handles?
Even though getting rid of love handles is really tough, getting them in the first place is pretty easy. You consume more calories than you burn and store the excess calories in the form of fat. And since consuming fried, sugary, and high-sodium foods increases the stress levels in your body, it directs the fat storage toward your belly and waist region. As a result, you start accumulating fat in the belly and the sides of your waist. So, it is clear that you HAVE to make some necessary changes in your diet and lifestyle to manage your love handle problem effectively. Let’s start with the diet and lifestyle tips first. Scroll down.
Diet And Lifestyle Tips To Get Rid Of Love Handles
1. Get Rid Of Sugar
Yup! If you want to get rid of the unwanted flab on the sides of your waist, you must give up all sugary foods and refined sugar. Your sugar-free diet can help you get rid of a chunk of fat without even hitting the gym or doing any at-home workout. When you start losing flab, you will also lose a chunk of fat from the sides of your waist.
2. Eat Protein
Proteins are tough to digest and are slowly absorbed by the body. As a result, your hunger pangs are kept at bay. You consume fewer calories and reduce the chances of those extra calories getting stored in your body as fat.
3. Don’t Ignore Good Carbs
Good carbs are present in veggies, fruits, whole grains, etc. Your body needs carbs to function normally and help you do physical work. So, do not ignore carbs totally. Include low GI fruits, veggies, and dark leafy greens in your diet. You can also have white rice with a lot of veggies to lower its GI. Dietary fiber is a good/complex carb that prevents fat absorption and improves satiety levels and the number of good gut bacteria.
4. Healthy Fats Are Good Too!
Fats are not bad. I mean, the healthy ones. Consume healthy fats like olive oil, rice bran oil, nuts, seeds, avocado, avocado oil, flaxseed oil, nut butter, and fish oil. But make sure you don’t over consume nuts and nut butter. Healthy fats help reduce inflammation and stress in the body, which leads to a reduction in fat in the body. These are high-calorie foods and should be consumed in limited amounts to prevent weight gain.
5. Say NO To Unhealthy Food
I know it’s very tough to say no to that bag of your favorite chips or a cup of ice cream on a hot summer day. BUT you must learn to say no to that voice in your head (and your stomach), and to your friends and family. When you are trying to lose weight, instead of looking at the scale every morning, just practice healthy eating and eliminate all unhealthy foods from your diet. And you will lose the love handles in a jiffy!
6. Sleep Well
Sleep deprivation or not sleeping at the right time for the required number of hours can increase stress levels and lead to toxin build-up in your body. And when that happens, your body gets into a state of inflammation, which ultimately leads to weight gain. So, sleep for 6-7 hours and within 2-3 hours of having dinner. This will prevent you from snacking on junk at night and reduce stress.
7. Chant OM
Until recently, chanting OM was boring for me. But if you do it for a week straight, you will realize that it is one of the best things to happen to you. The word “OM” is powerful and will help you detox and relax at the same time. Close your eyes and chant OM 10-20 times in the morning and at night. You can also use your index fingers to close your ears for maximum effect. Do this, and your stress levels and emotional eating will slowly vanish into thin air.
8. Learn Something New
The same old desk job with little or no fun can be really draining. And this can lead to sleeplessness, anxiety, and depression. If you really feel like your life is not moving forward, take charge, learn something new and propel your life forward. It doesn’t have to be work-oriented. Learn the things that you always wanted to, like singing, dancing, fine arts, pottery, a foreign language, photography, etc. You will utilize your time effectively, develop a sense of accomplishment, and lower your stress levels.
9. Take A Break Every Night
Yes! You need to unwind every night. Just give yourself 20-45 minutes. Do what you love during that time. Pamper yourself and take care of your skin, hair, and nails, read a book, paint, learn new makeup techniques, or make new and good connections on professional networking sites. This will aid your physical and mental enhancement. You will sleep better and feel better the next day.
These are the 9 ways in which you can control your diet and lifestyle. But as I mentioned before, love handles are very stubborn. Along with a good diet and a good lifestyle, make workout a part of your life. Here are a few exercises that will help accelerate your weight loss and reduce the bulge of those muffin tops. Take a look.
[ Read: 10 Minute Fat-Burning Abs Workout ]
7 Best Home Exercises To Get Rid Of Love Handles
Before starting with the exercises, take 10 minutes to warm up your body. Here’s what you’ve got to do.
- Neck tilts (right and left) – 1 set of 10 reps
- Neck rotation (clockwise and anticlockwise) – 1 set of 10 reps
- Shoulder rotation (clockwise and anticlockwise) – 1 set of 10 reps
- Wrist rotation (clockwise and anticlockwise) – 1 set of 10 reps
- Waist rotation (clockwise and anticlockwise) – 1 set of 10 reps
- Side lunges – 1 set of 10 reps
- Spot jogging – 3 minutes
- Burpees – 1 set of 10 reps
- Jumping jacks – 1 set of 20 reps
- Ankle rotation – 1 set of 10 reps
Warm-up done. Now, let’s burn some more calories and build lean muscle. Remember, you have to do other full-body workouts along with the following exercises to lose weight and tone the sides of your waist.
1. Standing Dumbbell Side Crunches
Obliques and abs.
How To Do Standing Dumbbell Side Crunches
- Hold a 5-pound or 10-pound dumbbell in each hand.
- Stand straight with your feet shoulder-width apart. Engage your core, and roll your shoulders back.
- Keeping your lower body stationary, bend on your right side until the dumbbell on your right hand almost reaches the side of the right knee.
- Bend to the left.
Sets And Reps
2 sets of 20 reps
Keep your shoulders relaxed when you bend to the side. Do not lift your shoulders – it will strain your neck.
Obliques, abs, hip flexors, and hamstrings.
How To Do Woodchoppers
- Hold a 5-pound dumbbell with both hands.
- Stand straight with your feet shoulder-width apart. Keep your core engaged, and shoulders rolled back.
- Lift both your hands and twist toward your left. As you do so, support your lower body by twisting your right leg inward. Keep your knee slightly bent, and lift your right heel. This is your starting position.
- Like you would use an axe to chop a tree truck, lower both your hands, bend your knees, twist toward your right, and stop when your hands are right below the side of your right knee.
- Go back to the starting position and repeat.
- Do this on the other side as well.
Sets And Reps
2 sets of 15 reps
3. Russian Twist
Obliques, glutes, quads, and hamstrings.
How To Do Russian Twist
- Sit down on a mat. Lift your legs a little off the floor, keep your knees flexed, and lean back a little. Keep your hands together to balance your body in this V-sit pose.
- Twist your body to your left and try to touch the floor on your side with both hands.
- Twist to your right and try to touch the floor on your side with both hands.
Sets And Reps
3 sets of 25 reps
4. Bicycle Crunch
Obliques, abs, glutes, quads, lats, deltoids, and hamstrings.
How To Do Bicycle Crunch
- Lie down on a mat. Place your thumbs on the back of your ears and support your head by placing the other fingers on the back of your head.
- Flex your knees, and place your feet flat on the mat. Keep your core engaged, and lift your head so that the back of your shoulders are not touching the mat.
- Bring your right knee toward your chest, and push your left leg straight back.
- As you do so, twist toward your right and touch your left elbow to your right knee.
- Straighten your right leg, and flex your left knee and bring it close to your chest. Twist your body to the left, and touch your right elbow with the left knee.
Sets And Reps
2 sets of 25 reps
5. Side Plank Hip Lifts
Obliques, abs, and shoulders.
How To Do Side Plank Hip Lifts
- Lie down on your right on a mat.
- Keep your right elbow just below your right shoulder, your forearm perpendicular to your upper arm, and right palm flat on the mat. Keep your left leg on top of your right leg.
- Lift your hips and get into a side plank position. Make sure you keep your neck in line with your spine.
- Pulse your hip up and down to work the abs and obliques.
- Relax and repeat.
- Do the same on the left side.
Sets And Reps
3 sets of 15 pulses
6. Oblique Crunch With Long Legs
Obliques and abs.
How To Do Oblique Crunch With Long Legs
- Lie down on your right side. Keep your right elbow just below your right shoulder, right forearm perpendicular to right upper arm, and right palm flat on the floor. Flex both your knees and keep your left leg on your right, raise your left arm with the palm facing forward. This is your starting position.
- Twist your body toward your left, lift your legs, and lower your left arm to touch your toes.
- Get back to the starting position.
- Do this on the other side.
Sets And Reps
3 sets of 10 reps
7. Skater Lunge
Obliques, abs, glutes, quads, and hamstrings.
How To Do Skater Lunge
- Stand straight with your feet shoulder-width apart, back straight, core engaged, and shoulders rolled back.
- Hop on your left leg, lift it off the floor and place it diagonally behind your right leg. Bend both your knees as you do so. Extend your right arm back, flex and bring your left hand close to your body to balance the movement. This will pretty much look like a deep bow.
- Bring your left leg back to its original position. Hop on your right leg and place it diagonally behind your left leg. Bend both your knees and go down and reverse the position of the hand to balance your body.
Sets And Reps
2 sets of 20 reps
These are the 7 best exercises to get rid of love handles. Here are some precautions that you must take.
- Do not follow a fad diet to shed pounds quickly.
- To do the exercises, follow the right technique.
- Increase the sets and reps as you become comfortable with the above-mentioned sets and reps.
- Consult a doctor and check your hormones.
There you have it! Everything you need to lose those extra pounds. Follow the diet and lifestyle tips and exercise regularly. You will definitely see a visible difference. If you have any questions, please leave a comment below. Cheers!
- 10 Effective Exercises To Reduce Side Fat
- 8 Sureshot Ways To Say Goodbye To Those Love Handles
- 8 Best Exercises To Get Rid Of Muffin Top
- 15 Best Exercises To Reduce Back Fat For Women
Latest posts by Charushila Biswas (see all)
- 15 Yummy Low-Carb Side Dishes To Make Your Diet Interesting - April 16, 2019
- Are You Losing Weight Due To Stress? Here’s What To Do - April 4, 2019
- 8 Best MCT Oils You Will Love When You Are On A Keto Diet - March 29, 2019
- 10 Best Fitness Trackers/Fitness Bands You Won’t Regret Buying - March 29, 2019
- 12 Best Glute Exercises To Shape Up Your Buttocks - March 28, 2019