The allure of straight hair is universal. But, make no mistake – maintaining that smooth and sleek look after straightening your hair takes some effort, time, and commitment. In this article, we will look at the top tips to maintain a curl-free hairdo and some hacks that will help keep your hair straight overnight and delay the onset of any waves/curls. Let us jump right in!
In This Article
How To Keep Your Hair Straight After Straightening It
If you wish to make the straight effect last as long as possible, you will need to embrace a hair care routine that focuses on maintenance. After all, you cannot afford to spend an hour every day straightening your hair from scratch.
Follow these useful tips to keep your hair straight in general:
- Dry Shampoo: To get rid of sweat, moisture, grease, and oil, invest in a good dry shampoo. This type of shampoo can lift your roots and nourish your hair between washes, thus maintaining its health.
- Moisturizing Conditioner: Use a moisturizing conditioner to reduce frizz and make your hair easier to manage. The conditioner will also add layers of shine and hydrate your hair from within.
- Microfiber Towel: Once you are done applying the conditioner, use a wide-toothed comb to remove any tangles and rinse your hair gently with cool water. Finally, pat your hair dry with a good-quality microfiber towel to prevent hair loss or unnecessary friction.
- High-Quality Straightener: Always buy a high-quality straightener that has ceramic/tourmaline plates. This will allow you to straighten your hair evenly and quickly.
- Comb: Make sure to comb your hair both before and after straightening it as the sleek look lasts longer on tangle-free hair. You can use a boar bristle brush to make your hair smoother and sleeker after blow-drying it.
- Dry Your Hair Completely: Never straighten wet hair as it can lead to heat damage. You can blow-dry your hair, keeping the nozzle facing downward, until it is 80% dry. Or, you can wait for it to air-dry completely. Once your hair is dry, you can use a flat iron to straighten it.
- Hair Protection Serum: To protect your hair from the high heat of the flat iron and to prevent frizz, use a heat protectant serum. This serum will also make your hair stay smooth, healthy, and straight for a longer period of time. You can also go for a low-alcohol, keratin protein-rich overnight serum that will preserve your straightened hair while you sleep.
- Temperature Setting: Always straighten your hair on the lowest temperature setting possible to reduce damage.
- Avoid Humidity: Humidity can make your straight hair frizzy. Hence, make sure to use an anti-humidity spray and keep your bedroom cool at night so that your hair does not become frizzy and dry in the morning.
- Let Your Hair Be: Finally, it helps to stay away from styling products and sprays to make your straight hair last longer.
These are the basics of keeping your hair straight. Now, let us learn how to maintain your straight hair overnight, which can ultimately save you a lot of time and effort in the morning. Keep reading!
Top 4 Hacks To Sleep With Straightened Hair (And How To Maintain It)
It is frustrating to straighten your hair before going to sleep only to wake up with a frizzy and curly head of hair – and straighten your hair all over again. Here are some simple home hacks to keep your hair straight overnight. The best part? These tips are effortless, pain-free, and cost-effective:
1. Buy A Good Dry Shampoo
If you have greasy hair, listen up: You need to buy a good dry shampoo, one that can easily absorb excess oil and sweat overnight. The idea is to wake up with fresh and clean hair without rinsing it with water.
How To Apply Dry Shampoo
- Use the dry shampoo between hair washes, preferably on second-day hair, so that it can absorb any excess oils.
- Take a wide-toothed comb or a brush and divide your hair into smaller sections. Remember to focus on the greasy areas.
- Place the can about 8 inches away from your head and spray the dry shampoo on the roots of your hair.
- Gently massage your head and let the product seep into your scalp so that it can absorb the excess oil.
2. Say Goodbye To Hair Bands/Elastics
The joy of tying your hair into a mile-high bun or a ponytail can be too tempting to pass off, especially if you have had a long, tiring day. However, if you wish to avoid any kind of dents in your poker-straight hair, stay away from hair bands/elastics. You can flip your hair over the pillow so that it stays off your neck and face while you sleep.
3. Use A Good Hair Oil
If you have dry hair, this tip is for you. It is extremely important that you keep your hair nourished, soft, and hydrated at all times. You can apply a couple of drops of any lightweight hair oil to maintain the shine of your straightened hair overnight. Make sure to focus more on the ends of your hair as they tend to dry out more. Additionally, avoid water-based products, like sprays, as they make your straight hair curl up.
4. Invest In A High-Quality Silk/Satin Scarf
Wrapping a silk scarf around your head or wearing a silk sleeping cap can prevent your straightened hair from becoming frizzy and wavy after a night of constant friction caused by sleeping on cotton pillows. You can also use a silk/satin pillowcase if you don’t like the idea of wearing a cap or scarf to bed.
Keeping your hair straight requires you to stick to a dedicated nighttime routine. That said, if you are someone who cannot sleep with open hair, you can just follow the steps given in the next section to wrap your straight hair securely.
How To Wrap Your Hair (And Keep It Straight) While Sleeping
- Apply a few drops of an argan oil-based serum to your hair. Leaving it in overnight can reduce frizz and help your hair retain its straightness.
- Comb your hair and roll it into a loose bun at the top of your head. Do not use any clips or scrunchies to tie it up as they can cause dents in your straight hair.
- Fold your silk/satin scarf into a triangle by joining two opposite ends.
- Place the long side of the triangle along the nape of your neck.
- Pull all three corners of the scarf to the front of your head and tie them in a double knot. Make sure your bun is securely tucked inside the scarf.
If you have short hair, make sure to flip it upward before wrapping it in a silk headscarf. This helps add more volume to your hair.
Keeping your straightened hair straight is not rocket science, and it definitely does not require you to lose your precious beauty sleep at night. However, it does require some maintenance and effort to make the straight effect last longer.
Follow the simple tips and hacks outlined here and enjoy gorgeously sleek hair every morning. All you need to do is experiment with your hair care routine and see what fits your hair’s needs. Once you have narrowed down some useful tips, integrate them into your nighttime routine and enjoy straight hair straight out of bed. No curls, no fuss!