Gray hair is considered a sign of wisdom and maturity, and it rarely goes unnoticed. But dull and dry gray hair can grab attention for all the wrong reasons. To care for your dull gray hair, you must first understand what it needs. In this article, we have listed a few hair care tips to make gray hair shine naturally. Scroll down for more information.
Table Of Contents
How To Make Gray Hair Shine Naturally
1. Use The Right Shampoo
The right shampoo is the key to shiny, beautiful gray hair. Shampoos that are specially formulated for gray hair help transform your dull and unmanageable hair into shiny silver locks.
Use a clarifying shampoo at least once a week to remove product buildup, impurities, and pollutants. Ensure that you also include a moisturizing shampoo in your hair care routine. Opt for purple shampoos to prevent your gray hair from appearing yellow.
2. Apply The Right Conditioner
Gray hair is usually very porous and can absorb pigment from hair care products, especially conditioners. A conditioner with yellow pigments can make your gray hair look lusterless and brassy. To avoid this discoloration, use a conditioner specially meant for gray hair.
Gray hair conditioners have bluish or violet undertones that help seal the hair cuticles for long-lasting shine. They can make your gray hair look sleek and vibrant with a silvery finish.
3. Add Serum To Your Hair Care Routine
A serum is another must-have product if you want that extra shine in your hair. It makes your gray hair not only smooth and shiny but also soft and manageable. Always use a clear, colorless serum instead of amber-colored ones. This will add shine to your grays without affecting their tones.
4. A Toner Is The Way To Go
What sets apart a perfect silver-gray hair from normal gray hair is the undertone. Gray hair is prone to develop a yellowish undertone naturally. But to make it shine and look silvery, it should have a blue undertone. A violet toner neutralizes dull yellow undertones. Your gray hair absorbs the pigment and imparts a desirable shade of silver and platinum.
5. Keep The Heat Styling To A Minimum
Gray hair is weaker than normal hair due to high porosity, and the excessive use of heat styling tools will make it even more fragile, dry, and rough. Hence, use heat styling tools at the lowest temperature settings. You can also choose a hairstyle that does not require heat styling or opt for overnight curlers.
6. Befriend A Satin Pillowcase
Gray hair is fragile and can easily break due to friction. A rough pillowcase can wreak havoc on your gray hair for every twist and turn you make in your sleep. Hence, use a satin pillowcase to keep your hair breakage at a minimum.
The soft satin fabric will prevent friction and static, reducing the chances of hair breakage. You can also wrap your hair in a silk scarf while sleeping. This will help maintain healthy gray hair and eliminate fly aways.
7. Maintain A Healthy And Balanced Diet
A balanced diet is equally important to boost the shine of your gray hair. For vibrant gray hair, consume proteins, healthy fats, and vitamins. These essential nutrients provide much-required nourishment to your hair and scalp. Also, consume mineral-rich foods to make your gray hair shiny and healthy.
Supplement your diet with these foods to make your gray hair shine naturally:
- Salmon And Mackerel: Contain omega-3 fatty acids, proteins, and vitamins that keep the scalp moisturized and preserve the natural luster of your hair (1).
- Walnuts: Rich in potassium and copper, which stimulate hair growth and prevent dullness (2).
- Spinach: Contains magnesium and iron that improve your hair health and combat hair loss (3), (4).
- Avocados: Help condition the hair and prevent breakage.
- Carrot Juice: Makes the hair shinier and prevents premature graying.
- Amla Juice: Enhances the natural hair pigment, reduces graying, nourishes the hair, and prevents balding (5).
Summing It Up
Apart from following these hair care tips, protect your gray hair from environmental aggressors to make it shine naturally. Drink plenty of water and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Do not expose your hair to sunlight for long, and use mild hair care products. Go ahead and flaunt your shiny, soft silver streaks!
Articles on StyleCraze are backed by verified information from peer-reviewed and academic research papers, reputed organizations, research institutions, and medical associations to ensure accuracy and relevance. Check out our editorial policy for further details.
- NUTRITION AND HAIR HEALTH
Nutrition and hair health | The Trichological Society (hairscientists.org)
- Scientific Processing of Walnuts Necessary for Amazing Health Benefits
- Spinach, raw
- Iron plays a certain role in patterned hair loss
- Current Trends in the Research of Emblica officinalis (Amla): A Pharmacological Perspective
- 7 Amazing Homemade Hair Oils For Gray Hair
- 10 Best Shampoos For Gray Hair 2020
- 10 Best Products For Gray Hair
- How To Soften Coarse Gray Hair