Mattify A Glossy Lipstick- A Step By Step Tutorial
Pro-tips to try if you don’t want to spend money on a separate matte lipstick.
If your craze for gloss and shine has died down and you want to mattify a glossy lipstick in your collection instead of letting it dry out over time, we have some clever tips for you to make that happen. Purchasing a matte lipstick is easy, but the result can feel very dry for your lips. The following tricks to turn your glossy lipstick into matte can be a good option to avoid cracks. Kudos to glam plus healthy lips! Scroll down for more information.
You Will Need
- A Lipstick of your choice – any glossy lipstick
- A tissue paper
- A sponge applicator/brush
- Face powder (you can use a loose face powder or even your compact)
In This Article
How To Make Your Lipstick Matte?
Follow these simple steps to turn your Glossy lipstick into matte.
Step 1: Apply Lip Liner
Start by prepping your lips with a lip balm/lip conditioner as this would make your lips soft and make the application of the lipstick effortless. Use a lip liner to line your lips. The lip liner can be a shade darker/lighter/similar to your lipstick shade. Ada Hsieh, a highly experienced makeup artist says, “Exfoliating your lips before color application will get rid of dead skin cells on the upper epidermis will ensure a smooth color application and longer lasting color. “
Step 2: Apply Lipstick
Apply the lipstick. You can choose to apply it either with a lip brush or directly by swiping the lipstick over your lips.
Step 3: Blot Your Lips
Once you are done applying the lipstick, take a tissue paper and put it between your lips. Press your lips against one another over the tissue paper. You can also use a blotting paper as it soaks up the moisture from the lip color without fading the color out. Blot your lips with the blotting paper and reapply the color. Blot again with a clean tissue paper.
This simple technique will not only help to blot out the excess color but also mattify your lipstick.
Step 4: Set The Powder On Lips
Here is a technique that will give you ultra-mattified lips.
- Take a sponge applicator and dip it into the loose powder or compact, whatever is available. Pat off the excess powder from the applicator.
- Now, apply the powder evenly on your lips. Ensure that you cover the entire lip area. Apply the powder evenly. Do not spread it too much as it can make the color get patchy and uneven. Another technique is to leave the tissue paper over your lips after blotting and apply loose setting powder onto your lips with a brush over the tissue paper. This is a cleaner technique to mattify the lips without having to clean up the powder if applied directly to lips.
- Set the powder with the same sponge or with a flat applicator brush.
- Press your lips against each other.
- In case you want to intensify the color, apply a few more coats of the lipstick and repeat the above steps for a better tint.
Your matte finish photo-ready lip makeup is done! Here is the final look.
This simple trick can help you achieve a flawless matte finish using any of your glossy lipsticks. The best thing about this trick is that, though it looks completely matte, it does not make your lips dry or chapped, unlike matte lipsticks. Instead, your lips remain moist underneath the look. In addition, the powder application helps the color sit properly on your lips and helps it last longer — it will not come off easily even when you eat or drink.
We hope you find this article on how to make your lipstick matte useful. Try it and see the magic!
Frequently Asked Questions
Is matte better than glossy lipstick?
If you are going for a more formal or classy look, matte lipsticks are ideal because they are typically regarded as more sophisticated and modest. On the other hand, glossy lipstick is better for a night out and casual meet-ups with friends.
How can I make my lipstick stay matte all day?
• Prepare your lips by exfoliating them.
• Apply a thin layer of balm and let it absorb completely.
• Apply lip primer, paying particular attention to the outer margins.
• Apply lipstick.
• Place a single-ply tissue on your lips and dust on some translucent powder. Carefully remove the tissue.
How do you make lipstick matte with eyeshadow?
Patting your favorite eyeshadow color over a creamy, glossy, or satin-finish lipstick creates a matte, long-lasting lip color. It works best if you match the eyeshadow color to the color of your lips, but you are free to experiment. For example, it’s a great idea to layer a bright color over a nude lipstick to create a pastel version of the color. Lip balm can be used in place of lip color just as well.
- An easy technique you can use to mattify a lipstick is to use blotting paper.
- You can also apply powder on your lips after applying a glossy lipstick to mattify it.
- An additional coat of lipstick does the job if you want to intensify it.
- The distribution of a setting powder should be even to prevent the color from getting patchy.