We know! Maintaining the health of your hair is a supremely tedious task. It requires a lot of time and patience. But, really, this does not necessarily mean that you need to frequent the salon 52 times in a year. Why would anyone want to spend tons of money to slather on chemical hair masks when you could get the same results at home using natural ingredients? In fact, natural ingredients are better for your hair in the long run.
Using olive oil in a hair mask can do a lot for your hair. It can make it softer, keep it conditioned, and strengthen it. Wondering how to use olive oil on hair? Below we have put together five different hair masks that incorporate olive oil. However, before we get into it, let’s look at how exactly olive oil helps your hair.
How Does Olive Oil Help Your Hair?
A hair mask made with olive oil can do wonders for hair that is dry, damaged, and brittle. Olive oil is a rich emollient that helps in conditioning hair, making it smooth and silky while improving its elasticity and tensile strength (1). It also improves the quality of dull hair, making it look shiny and healthy. It even prevents breakage and adds shine.
Olive Oil Hair Masks
Its lightness makes olive oil perfect for most hair types. Depending on whether you have dry, oily, or combination hair, you can use it with different ingredients. Read the list below to find the perfect olive oil hair mask for your hair.
Amazing Olive Oil Hair Masks
- Honey And Olive Oil Hair Mask
- Egg And Olive Oil Hair Mask
- Olive Oil And Avocado Hair Mask
- Olive Oil And Banana Hair Mask
- Olive Oil And Mayonnaise Hair Mask
1. Honey And Olive Oil Hair Mask
This mask is recommended for people with dry, damaged, or combination hair. It can also be used for oily hair as the ingredients do not weigh your hair down.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 Vitamin E capsule
- Shower cap
- In a bowl, mix the olive oil and honey.
- Pierce the Vitamin E capsule and squeeze the oil into the honey and olive oil mixture.
- Whisk until the mixture is smooth.
How To Apply
- Wash your hair with shampoo and wait for it to air dry.
- Once your hair is completely dry, section it and start applying the mixture to it with your hands or a color applicator.
- Ensure that you cover all of your hair from the roots to the tips.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap.
- Wait with the cap on for 30-90 minutes. Wash off with shampoo and follow it up with conditioner.
- If you have dry hair, you can apply this mixture twice a week
- If you have oily hair, apply the mask once a week
Honey is one of the best humectants, which means that it helps trap moisture. It also has many anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties (2). These properties help restore dry hair and repair and reduce split ends. Consider using raw honey, as it has more benefits than processed honey.
- If you have oily, or combination hair, start applying the mixture from the mid-lengths of your hair.
- Do not use how water to rinse the mixture out of your hair. Always use cool or lukewarm water while you are washing your hair.
- Honey has natural bleaching agents that may lighten the color of your hair. If you don’t want your hair color to lighten, this is not an ideal hair pack for you.
2. Egg And Olive Oil Hair Mask
There are three different ways to prepare an egg and olive oil hair mask depending on your hair type. Follow the instructions below to make the right one for you.
2 egg yolks (for dry hair)
2 egg whites (for oily hair)
- 1 egg (for normal or combination hair)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Wide-toothed comb
- Depending on your hair type, choose the right parts of the eggs to use in the recipe from the list above.
- If you have dry or oily hair, separate the yolks from the whites by cracking an egg down the middle and passing it back and forth between the two shells while holding it on top of the bowl. The whites will fall
- into the bowl while the yolks will remain in the shell.
- Whisk the eggs and the olive oil in a bowl until they’re well combined and the mixture is creamy.
- You can add more or less amounts of olive oil depending on the length of your hair.
How To Apply
- Shampoo your hair and skip the conditioner.
- While your hair is still a little damp, section it with a wide toothed comb and start applying the mixture.
- Coat all of your hair with the mixture, concentrating on the tips.
- You can store any leftover mixture in the fridge for a week by pouring it into an airtight container.
- Put your hair up in a bun and wait with the mask on for 20 minutes.
- Rinse the mask out of your hair with shampoo and cold water. Using cool water keeps the egg from getting cooked.
- Let your hair air-dry, or use a blow dryer on the cool setting.
You can use this mask twice a week.
Eggs are packed with proteins and nutrients that boost the health of your hair (3). The yolks are rich in fatty oils that nourish and repair hair that is dry and damaged. Egg whites contain enzymes that strip the excess oils from your hair. Egg hair packs add an instant shine to your hair and make it softer from the first use itself.
- Make sure that the ingredients are cold if you want to keep your hair from smelling eggy.
- Use cold water to rinse your hair.
- Add essential oils of your choice to the hair pack to control the egg smell.
3. Olive Oil And Avocado Hair Mask
This is one of the best hair masks for dry and damaged hair.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Scoop out the avocado and mash it until there are no lumps in it.
- To the avocado, add two tablespoons of olive oil.
- Mix the ingredients until they form a smooth paste.
- Optionally, you can add two tablespoons of honey to make this mixture extra hydrating.
How To Apply
- Wash your hair with shampoo to remove any buildup of dirt or grime.
- While your hair is still slightly damp, section it with a wide toothed comb and start applying the olive oil and avocado hair mask.
- Concentrate on your roots and tips.
- Once all of your hair is covered, cover it with a hot, damp towel or a shower cap.
- Let it sit for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Wash your hair with shampoo and finish with conditioner.
- Let your hair air dry or use a blow dryer on the cool setting.
- You only need to apply this mask once a month if your hair is not that damaged or dry.
- For dry hair, apply it once a week.
Avocados are rich in oleic acid, omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, and Vitamins A, B, and E (4). All of these nutrients, when combined with olive oil’s conditioning properties, make the perfect pack for moisturizing dry hair. The hair pack helps make your hair shiny, soft, and manageable. It eases tangles and nourishes your hair with all of the right nutrients.
- Do not towel dry your hair. The friction will cause damage while stripping the moisture out of your hair.
- Never use water that is hotter than lukewarm to wash your hair.
4. Olive Oil And Banana Hair Mask
An olive oil and banana hair mask is recommended for people with dry and damaged hair.
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Roughly chop the banana and throw it into a blender.
- Blend until you get a smooth paste.
- Add the olive oil and blend again.
- Collect the olive oil and banana mixture in a bowl.
How To Apply
- Shampoo your hair to clean out any dirt or build up.
- While your hair is still damp, section it and start applying the hair pack.
- Coat all of your hair, concentrating on the ends.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and keep the mask on for 30 minutes.
- Wash off with shampoo in cool water and condition.
Do this once a week to repair damage and condition dry hair.
Bananas are rich in antioxidants, which help fight the free radicals that cause damage to your hair (5). It also moisturizes dull and damaged hair, adding shine and strengthening the hair shaft. The potassium present in the banana prevents hair fall. It also contains fatty oils that minimize the loss of moisture.
- Do not apply the mask to your roots if you have combination hair
- Use cool water to rinse the mask out of your hair
5. Olive Oil And Mayonnaise Hair Mask
This is a good hair pack for dry, damaged, and combination hair.
- 2 tablespoons of full-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
In a bowl, stir 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise with the olive oil until it gives you a well-combined mixture.
How To Apply
- Wash your hair with shampoo and let it dry
- Once your hair is dry, section it and start applying the mayonnaise-olive oil mixture
- Cover all of your hair and pay extra attention to the roots
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave the mixture on for 30 minutes
- Wash off with shampoo and condition
- Let your hair air-dry, or use a blow dryer on the cool setting
Because of how heavy this mask is, you can apply it once in a week, or once in two weeks depending on how dry your hair is.
Mayonnaise contains the goodness of eggs and fatty oils that can help nourish dry hair. It also contains vinegar that is known to remove the build up of dirt and grime from hair. Using this hair pack will help condition your hair while creating a protective barrier around your hair shaft, which keeps moisture from being lost.
- Do not use this hair mask on oily hair as it can weigh it down and make it greasy
- Use just enough of the mask to coat your hair so that it is easy to rinse out
- Start applying the mask from the mid-lengths of your hair if you have combination hair
- Add some essential oil while combining the ingredients to control the mayonnaise smell
Tips To Keep In Mind
- Shampoos that claim to be sulfate-free or surfactant-free are the best ones for your hair. They are gentler than other shampoos. They don’t lather up as much, but they are just as effective.
- Always rinse your hair with cool water to keep it from losing excess moisture.
- Do not towel dry your hair. Instead, let it air dry or use a blow dryer on the cool setting.
- If you are in a hurry, you can use your blow dryer normally but make sure that you keep it moving and at a 15-centimeter distance from your hair.
- Washing your hair before you apply a hair mask helps remove the build up of dirt or grime that might get in the way of your hair absorbing nutrients.
- Maintain a good balance between conditioning and protein treatments. One without the other can give brittle or frizzy hair.
There you have it, five different olive oil hair masks that can help maintain the health of your hair. You can play around with the ingredients to find the perfect olive oil hair mask for your hair.
Have you ever used olive oil in a hair mask? Tell us about your experience in the comments section below.
- Can Coconut Oil And Lemon Juice Promote Hair Growth?
- 10 Effective Hair Masks To Treat Hair Loss
- Mamaearth Argan Hair Mask Reviews
Latest posts by Meenal Rajapet (see all)
- 10 Best Ear And Nose Hair Trimmers – 2019 - January 30, 2018
- Lice Vs. Dandruff – How Do I Know If I Have Nits Or The Flakes? - January 23, 2018
- 15 Best Hair Dryers to Buy In 2019 – Top Rated Hair Dryer Reviews - January 23, 2018
- BBLUNT Salon Secret High Shine Crème Hair Colour Review - December 19, 2017
- Melblok Review – The Wonder Pigmentation Cream For Bright, Clear Skin! - December 6, 2017