Lipsticks are the most crucial part of every makeup kit and can make or break your look. So, if you are wondering how to prevent lipsticks from smudging, you have landed on the right page. Lipsticks accentuate our facial features like nothing else, whether rosy red or juicy pink. But making it last long without smudging can be a tricky task. While constant touch-ups are annoying, no one wants their lipstick to fade away before entering the party. In this article, we share the secret of making your lipstick long-lasting and smudge-proof. Scroll down for the details!
How To Stop Lipstick Bleeding?
You Will Need
- Lip Primer
- Lip Pencil
- Concealer / Foundation
- Compact Powder
- Tissue Paper
How To Keep Lipstick From Smudging? – Step By Step Tutorial
To ensure your lipstick lasts all day (and night), read on…
Step 1: Prepping The Lips
Always begin with prepping your lips by applying a lip balm/lip conditioner. This will make your lips soft and supple, and the application becomes effortless thereafter. Next, apply a foundation/concealer on the lips, and set it with compact to create a flawless makeup base. This technique also helps to keep the lipstick intact.
Step 2: Line Your Lips With Lip Pencil
Start lining the lips with a lip pencil. Once you have outlined the lips, fill the entire lip area with the same lip pencil. Now, swipe the lipstick over your lips. In this tutorial, I have used a gorgeous bright red lipstick in matte finish. Dab some loose powder on the lips with a small fluffy brush after applying lipstick, as shown in the picture. Let it rest for 5 to 10 seconds. I have used a transparent finishing powder here.
Step 3: Blending The Powder
Now, take a small flat brush and slowly sweep the powder all over the lips, till you get the desired matte finish, and then blend.
This technique helps in sealing the color on the lips and prevents smudging as well.
Step 4: Blotting The Excess Lipstick
Once you are done with Step 3, take a clean tissue paper and fold it into half. Place the tissue between your upper and lower lips. Blot the excess lipstick with the tissue as shown in the image.
Don’t worry about this technique making your lipstick appear uneven or faded. You can fix it later by reapplying it.
Step 5: The Final Touch Up
If you are a lip gloss fan, then swipe a coat of lip gloss just on the center of the lips. This will prevent the bleeding of the color around the lip area.
- The easiest way to prevent smudging of lipstick is by applying a lip primer. It works as a base for the lips, holds the color for a longer time, and also prevents bleeding of the color.
- In case of any unevenness around the lip or jaw area, correct it by using a concealer or a foundation shade that is close to your skin tone.
- A lip pencil/liner is a great choice of base to prevent smudging. Choose a lip pencil that exactly matches the lipstick shade.
- Outlining and filling your lips with a lip liner prior to the application of lipstick helps to increase the longevity of the lipstick, irrespective of the formula or quality.
- Always use a thin lip brush to apply the lipstick as it gives you an even application and helps you reach even the corners.
- Always carry a lip color in your bag for quick touch-ups.
We understand the frustration of constantly checking the condition of your lipstick at parties and reapplying it to maintain your look. And that is why we curated this list of tips to help you prevent your lipstick from smudging and making it last longer. These tips are quite simple to follow, and with a little bit of practice, you will be able to prep and touch up your lips perfectly for a smudge-proof, long-lasting effect. You can use these techniques before applying any lipstick, and you need not necessarily invest in expensive brands offering long-stay lipsticks.