Synthetic hair wigs come with incredible advantages. Unlike their natural counterparts, synthetic fiber wigs are more budget-friendly and available in a wide range of colors. They are also easy to maintain, which makes them the preferred choice for many.
However, the artificial fibers of synthetic wigs may become dull and dry over time. This leaves the wig looking frizzy and stiff, and it no longer appears natural like human hair. Fret not! You need not throw away your damaged wig – we have an easy way to repair it. Check out this article to learn about how to keep synthetic hair soft. Scroll down.
Table Of Contents
What Causes Synthetic Hair Wigs To Dry?
As synthetic hair wigs are made of plastic fibers, they tend to become dry over time due to wear and tear. Several other factors contribute to the dryness of these wigs:
- Rigorous washing and wringing
- Excessive application of heat
- Sleeping or showering with your wig
- Dust, sweat, oils, and product buildup
- Improper storage and maintenance
Once the synthetic hair dries out, the wig will appear less natural. Hence, you need to undertake some measures to ensure that your wig remains soft and does not look dry. Here are some tips to maintain your synthetic hair and keep it soft.
Best Ways To Soften Synthetic Hair Wigs
- Brush your wig gently with a wide-toothed comb to remove any tangles. If it has tight curls, detangle them with your fingers to prevent shedding.
- Fill a large tub with lukewarm water and add a mild synthetic-safe cleanser to it.
- Soak your wig in this solution for 10-15 minutes.
- Swish it during this time – up, down, left, and right. This will help remove the dirt and grease from your synthetic hair. Do not rub or pull your wig to avoid breakage and tangles.
- Rinse the hair under running cool water. This washes the soapy lather and keeps your wig’s shape intact.
- Prepare a solution of lukewarm water and fabric softener/hair conditioner.
- Soak your hair in this liquid for at least 10 minutes. If the hair is severely damaged, keep it for 30 minutes.
- Remove your synthetic hair and squeeze out the excess water without twisting or wringing it.
- Blot any remaining water with a soft towel and place your wig on a stand. Let your synthetic wig air dry naturally.
Let’s now look at a few ways that help keep your synthetic hairpieces soft and healthy-looking.
Essential Tips To Maintain Synthetic Hair Wigs
- Wash your synthetic wig once every 4 to 14 days, depending on the frequency of usage and the degree of sweating.
- Always use a mild cleanser and lukewarm water to wash your wigs.
- Dip the wig in and out of the water several times while rinsing.
- Use a fabric softener or a commercial synthetic hair conditioner and brush the wig with a wide-toothed comb.
- Keep your scalp free of grease to minimize the need to wash the wig frequently.
- Restrict hair coloring, perming, and heat styling to preserve your wig’s luster.
Summing It Up
Synthetic hair wigs are made of special plastic and polymers, which might appear dry and frizzy over time. Follow a basic regimen of washing your synthetic wig with a softener at regular intervals to revive its original luster. Also, avoid heat styling tools and coloring products to prevent damage and enhance your wig’s longevity. Follow the tips mentioned in this article to breathe some life in your matted wig and make it look gorgeous.
Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions
Does a synthetic hair wig appear natural?
Yes. Hand-sewn synthetic wigs are more natural-looking than machine-made synthetic wigs. However, a wig made of natural human hair always appears most natural.
What are the advantages of a synthetic wig over a human hair wig?
Unlike human hair wigs, synthetic wigs do not fade in the sunlight and are easy to maintain. They do not absorb odor from the scalp as easily as a human hair wig.
Can I go for a swim with a synthetic hair wig?
Yes. If you want to swim wearing a wig, synthetic wigs are ideal.
Is it possible for a synthetic hair wig to become wet?
Yes, a synthetic hair wig can become wet.
- 14 Best Shampoos For Wigs
- How To Bleach Synthetic Hair Wigs: A Complete Guide
- 13 Best Wigs For Women – 2020
- 15 Best Products For Hair Extensions