How To Soften Synthetic Wigs
Easy and practical methods to make your artificial wigs look healthy and stunning.
There are outstanding merits to using synthetic hair wigs. You can find them in a large variety of colors, and they are budget-friendly too. However, you may need to soften synthetic wigs to keep them from becoming frizzy, rough, and dry.
Synthetic wigs are made of artificial fibers that can dry out after some time and end up looking dull and stiff. There are ways you can soften your synthetic wigs to make them look more natural and new. Keep reading to learn more about repairing your artificial locks.
In This Article
What Causes Synthetic Hair Wigs To Dry?
As synthetic hair wigs are made of plastic fibers, they tend to become dry over time due to wear and tear. Several other factors contribute to the dryness of these wigs:
- Rigorous washing and wringing
- Excessive application of heat
- Sleeping or showering with your wig
- Dust, sweat, oils, and scalp buildup
- Improper storage and maintenance
- Repeatedly touching the wig with your hands
Once the synthetic hair dries out, the wig will appear less natural. Hence, you need to undertake some measures to ensure that your wig remains soft and does not look dry. Here are some tips to maintain your synthetic hair and keep it soft.
Best Ways To Soften Synthetic Hair Wigs
- Brush your wig gently with a wide-toothed comb to remove any tangles. If it has tight curls, detangle them with your fingers to prevent shedding.
- Fill a large tub with lukewarm water and add a mild synthetic-safe cleanser to it.
- Soak your wig in this solution for 10-15 minutes.
- Swish it during this time – up, down, left, and right. This will help remove the dirt and grease from your synthetic hair. Do not rub or pull your wig to avoid breakage and tangles.
- Rinse the hair under running cool water. This washes the soapy lather and keeps your wig’s shape intact.
- Prepare a solution of lukewarm water and fabric softener/hair conditioner.
- Soak your hair in this liquid for at least 10 minutes. If the hair is severely damaged, keep it for 30 minutes.
- Remove your synthetic hair and squeeze out the excess water without twisting or wringing it.
- Blot any remaining water with a soft towel and place your wig on a stand. Let your synthetic wig air dry naturally.
Let’s now look at a few ways that help keep your synthetic hairpieces soft and healthy-looking.
Essential Tips To Maintain Synthetic Hair Wigs
- Wash your synthetic wig once every 4 to 14 days, depending on the frequency of usage and the degree of sweating.
- Always use a mild cleanser and lukewarm water to wash your wigs.
- Dip the wig in and out of the water several times while rinsing.
- Use a fabric softener or a commercial synthetic hair conditioner and brush the wig with a wide-toothed comb.
- Keep your scalp free of grease to minimize the need to wash the wig frequently.
- Restrict hair coloring, perming, and heat styling to preserve your wig’s luster.
Synthetic wigs are made with artificial fibers and available in versatile styles. They are inexpensive and available in different colors and lengths. As these wigs are made of synthetic fibers, they tend to be frizzy and rough. And softening these wigs is essential to maintain their smoothness. So how do you soften synthetic wigs? Brushing the wig with a wide-toothed comb, rinsing it under running cool water, and letting it air-dry naturally may help soften a synthetic wig. In addition, washing it once every 4-14 days, using mild cleansers and fabric softeners may help keep your synthetic wig hair soft.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use mousse on synthetic wig hair?
Yes. You may use mousse and other styling products on synthetic wigs to volumize them. However, avoid using them on human hair wigs as styling products contain alcohol and may damage the hair strands. Also, exercise caution while using products with alcohol on synthetic wigs as they may dry and shrink the synthetic strands.
Can you use hair rollers on synthetic wigs?
Yes. You can use hair rollers on synthetic wigs. However, read all instructions carefully before using rollers on wigs because not all wigs can tolerate the heat from styling tools.
Is apple cider vinegar good for synthetic hair?
Yes. You can use apple cider vinegar on your synthetic hair. It helps remove chemicals and alkaline bases from the hair and minimize the risk of irritation after wearing the wig.
- Depending on how often you use it and how much you sweat, you should wash your synthetic wig every 4 to 14 days.
- Brush the wig with a wide-toothed comb and wash it with a fabric softener or a professional synthetic hair conditioner.
- Maintain a grease-free scalp to reduce the need to wash the wig frequently.
- To avoid damage and extend the life of your wig, avoid heat styling or coloring it too frequently.